Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
datatoa

Skill levels in TF2 (With Graph!)

Graph

I've drawn this graph to illustrate the levels of skill required to pick up/master each given class. I feel these levels reflect the general opinion. If not, feel free to suggest alterations
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Stevontoast

My suggestion is that you remove the red bar from The Heavy.
Stevontoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
xmacro

Banned
- Spy, Scout, Demo and Soldier should be the highest 4, probably in that order (demo higher than soldier due to difficulty in nade juggling).

- Pyro is WAY too high; once you can airblast rockets, LL and DH reliably, you've pretty much mastered the class.

- Medic's too high; biggest difficulty with that class is knowing how to read the battlefield, when to push/retreat, gauging when to pop uber, etc. It's a high ceiling, but not as high as on that graph

- Engy's also too high; knowing where to build and when, when to run, and how to aim are the biggest skills he needs

- Sniper is about right, maybe a tad lower; once you can twitch aim and headshot, you've mastered the class. While it's difficult, it's really the only skill needed to master him.

- Heavy is about right, maybe a bit lower

Last edited by xmacro: 04-13-2012 at 10:39 AM.
xmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
datatoa

Fun Fact! The red bar on the heavy was originally lower, but I thought it looked like I was being biased, so I changed it.
datatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
2560x1600@120hz

The Pyro doesn't have that much of a skill ceiling when using vanilla loadouts and traditional playstyles.
2560x1600@120hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
datatoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmacro View Post
- Spy, Scout, Demo and Soldier
So, you play competitively, am I right?
datatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
xmacro

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by datatoa View Post
So, you play competitively, am I right?
Never played a comp match in my life, but I've logged enough hours to know which classes perform better at the higher skills.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
studi_stef

Scout and Sniper's ceilings should be way higher.

Also I think the Engie skill floor should be a bit lower, and replace the Pyro's floor with the Soldier's.
studi_stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Automaton458

Pyro's ceiling should be lower. When will these W+M1ers remember that their mouse has a right button, which can do wonders?

Engie's ceiling should be lower as well: if you know how to build and maintain your buildings and Spycheck, you're a VERY good Engineer.

Last edited by Automaton458: 04-13-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Automaton458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Charro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmacro View Post
- Pyro is WAY too high; once you can airblast rockets, LL and DH reliably, you've pretty much mastered the class.
Airblast is like the most 'basic' skill of a Pyro, there's tons of other things you need to master it, Flare Gun aim is IMO the most tricky one, you can airshot with that thing too, and comboing with a well placed reflect it's really hard, also positioning (more common sense and experience than raw 'skill'), Flamethrower aim (for how the particles of the FT work, achieving full DPS with it is next to impossible) and very good DM in general, just like Scout, you don't master the class after you can aim

And yeah, why is Engie so high?

yohoho stoned joke (?)

Last edited by Charro: 04-13-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Charro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
2560x1600@120hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charro View Post
Airblast is like the most 'basic' skill of a Pyro, there's tons of other things you need to master it, Flare Gun aim is IMO the most tricky one, you can airshot with that thing too, and comboing with a well placed reflect it's really hard, also positioning (more common sense and experience than raw 'skill'), Flamethrower aim (for how the particles of the FT work, achieving full DPS with it is next to impossible) and very good DM in general, just like Scout, you don't master the class after you can aim

yohoho stoned joke (?)
All it takes to master the Engineer is a sweet spot for Sentry placement.
2560x1600@120hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
xmacro

Banned
Quote:
Airblast is like the most 'basic' skill of a Pyro, there's tons of other things you need to master it, Flare Gun aim is IMO the most tricky one, you can airshot with that thing too, and comboing with a well placed reflect it's really hard, also positioning (more common sense and experience than raw 'skill') and very good DM in general, just like Scout, you don't master the class after you can aim

yohoho stoned joke (?)
ah, yeah, forgot about flareguns and airshots; those make a good pyro as well. Maybe put pyro as the fifth hardest, behind the top 4 classes
Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
snarkyBroad

Okay, so I love playing Soldier, and he's one of my most played classes, and even I know that Scout should in no way be below either Soldier or Demo. Just because they're key classes doesn't mean they require loads of skill. Which isn't to say they require none, but I think that Scout takes a lot more to be consistently useful. Oh, and Heavy's bar should probably be significantly smaller.
snarkyBroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Rg Toad

Quote:

yohoho stoned joke (?)
pyrO'S positioning as a pocket is so lenient and a complete joke, as a roamer you literally don't have positioning. Flares are simple enough, and honestly the class is WAY WAY WAY to ing limited on offense and his biggest role(defense) is literally 60% AB'ing it is just the way it is, realistically its limited way to much. And that limits the skill ceiling.

And however soldier, demo, and scout aren't limited AT ALL they are so versatile and can pretty much adapt to anything.
Rg Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
Vixori

Pyro, spy and engineer have a highest skill ceiling?

lol
Vixori is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2