Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Ericmopar

Nvidia Card Owners Please Read.

To other Nvidia Owners.
It seems some random game and system glitchs, like Blue Screens, Purple Screens and random system lockups are being caused by Nvidia's new 29X.XXXX drivers.

If you've been experiencing these things after upgrading your drivers. You may want to reinstall an older set.
I'm having good luck with version 285.62.
Some online have had to go all the way back to 275.33.

Older drivers are available at Nvidia under:
"Beta, Older drivers and more".

This is a link to their drivers download homepage.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

scroll down a bit and you'll find the link that will find older drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

When you finish downloading and open the Nvidia installer, click on custom and choose the check-box labeled "Clean Install".

After that you should get a list with check-boxes for elements of the drivers to be installed. You should install all but "Nvidia Update", uncheck that box so you don't have any issues with a reinstall of the newer problematic drivers.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Ericmopar: 04-13-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Necrosan

No issues at all with the most recent drivers for me. (Or any in the 29X.XX series for that matter.)
Perhaps something else is wrong with your setup?
Necrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
lonewolfdon

I'm currently using nVidia's 296.10 drivers, and they seem to work well for my computer and GT440 card. But yes, it could be that with certain model cards that some versions of drivers can cause some problems, and in that case an older version may work better.
lonewolfdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Ericmopar

It can definitely be the drivers.
I was having the above problems and going back stopped all graphics issues.
I also found out Googling, that it's widespread.
I have a very stripped down PC, so I doubt it's software conflicts and all my hardware is new and runs fine on the 285.XX drivers.
Ericmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Wotawally

Same as the others - nothing wrong with the latest drivers and no problems with any games or graphic programs that I have.
I am getting a smoother experience with the 296.10 drivers than any previous version.
These "problems" are more likely caused by excess over-clocking or other user faults.
Wotawally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Ericmopar

No over clocking here.

I wouldn't have posted it, except for the fact that there are tons of complaints at other forums. I'm not the only one that's had problems with the newer drivers.
If someone doesn't believe me, try an online search about the new Nvidia drivers in the 290.XXX range and see for yourself.
Anyone that knows PCs, and drivers, knows that the same problems won't affect all machines.
It's also extremely intermittent and can go days at a time without affecting things, so some may be having problems with these drivers and not even know it.

It's just a bit of advice to those that are having these issues to try the older drivers first, before taking drastic measures like reinstalling windows.

I'm amazed at the assumptions going on here.
I'll try not to take it personally, since I grew up near Silicon Valley and got taught by some of the best PC people around.

Last edited by Ericmopar: 04-13-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Ericmopar

Here, for the doubting Thomas'

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-c...r-stopped.html
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Necrosan

If you'd take a look at the NVIDIA forums you'd find out that TDRs sole cause typically is bad RAM, but also can be any other bad piece of hardware in the system. (Or software issue, in the case of overclocking or misconfigured key system settings.)

The bottom line is thousands of other people have the same card as you and likely are using the most up to date drivers their vendor offers.

Here's a link with an official statement from NVIDIA regarding the issue you cited in your most recent post (commonly referred to as TDRs): http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161

My suggestion to the OP is to test his hardware with popular hardware diagnostic software and find out where the weak link actually lies in his system. I would start by running Memtest+ and also running software like Prime95 to see if your system can even safely run it at stock defaults (it should be able to.)

Good luck on your quest on figuring out which piece of the puzzle is not fitting, Ericmopar!

Last edited by Necrosan: 04-13-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
freeloader105

Necrosan is a a wise man.
freeloader105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
Wotawally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
It's also extremely intermittent and can go days at a time without affecting things, so some may be having problems with these drivers and not even know it.
Right. So all of us that say the drivers work fine are having problems, but we don't realise it. Do I wait a year for this "intermittent" problem, or is my machine continuously crashing but I'm too stupid to realise it.
There have been plenty of threads in this forum about nvidia drivers, as you are well aware of, so there is no need for unfounded and exaggerated claims.
Wotawally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #11
Ragnokak

I was born and raised in Colorado, that doesn't mean I know anything about climbing mountains. lol

Seriously though I understand you are just trying to help and I do appreciate your offering to help. But lets face it, if you were taught by some one the best in Silicon Valley you would know without a shadow if doubt that there are way to many variables to blanket statement any error unless everyone is having it. Hardware, software, normal user, admin user, ....it goes on endlessly.

Personally, while I'm empathetic to your issue, I am using the latest and greatest drivers also and with no issues at all either. Good luck finding the real issue of your woes and I mean that seriously.

Normally it's better to wait for someone to yell fire before we try to put it out. I hope you understand the analogy.

Guys, be nice he is just trying to help.
Ragnokak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #12
zm4r

I'm also just trying to help. After using the 275.33 drivers for months because I had a problem with the TDR error when browsing, I noticed I had a problem with Windows Updates for Microsoft Silverlight and Defender. In order to know this I had to check the Windows Updates History list.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB976982

Applying the fix it: Fix MSI software update registration corruption issues, solved the problem and after that I started to receive new updates not only for Windows but also for Java.
After that I decided to try my luck with the new Nvidia 296.10 drivers. Untill today no problems anymore. I also never had problems with Framework after that, I also think this is related.

Grtz
Erik
zm4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
ac_freeman

Hi All,

I have just bought a new desktop ( and finished installing Steam, Railworks and all of my previous Just Trains purchases ) - my new system has an Nvidia 550 Graphics Card installed, my first experience with Nvidia....I was intending to run the routine from the Nvidia site which analysis your system and installs the optimum driver package.....but as so far I am not experiencing any problems I assume that it is best not to do this and leave well alone? Grateful for advice.

thanks,

Andy
ac_freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
Necrosan

In general it's a good idea to keep up to date with your vendors latest available drivers for the hardware you own.

If you follow nVIDIA/AMD driver update information you'll see that as the release numbers increase performance generally also does too. (for various applications and occasionally all around).

I'm yet to find a scenario where NEWER drivers cause less performance.

My advice - give the latest drivers a shot. Make sure you stay away from anything marked BETA though as they are not as thoroughly tested and are not guaranteed to work correctly.

In a worst case scenario you can always reinstall the old ones if you have issues.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #15
mrsandman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
No over clocking here.

I wouldn't have posted it, except for the fact that there are tons of complaints at other forums. I'm not the only one that's had problems with the newer drivers.
If someone doesn't believe me, try an online search about the new Nvidia drivers in the 290.XXX range and see for yourself.
Anyone that knows PCs, and drivers, knows that the same problems won't affect all machines.

It's just a bit of advice to those that are having these issues to try the older drivers first, before taking drastic measures like reinstalling windows.

I'm amazed at the assumptions going on here.
I'll try not to take it personally, since I grew up near Silicon Valley and got taught by some of the best PC people around.
What make/model video card are you running?
mrsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks