Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeon Defenders

Old 04-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
crazyforum123

Thumbs down Constant Updates

These constant updates are driving me nuts - can you not just wait a few days and send out one large update, instead of now and then.
For someone with such slow internet, it's a big pain.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Marioface5

Don't patch then. It's good that they're updating their game a lot, I'd hate to wait for new DLC just to have some bug fixes and other adjustments.
Marioface5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
EnvoidNul

This game is getting close to being uninstalled like I have done with TF2 if the constant patching keeps up. You don't buy games to then be force fed the freemium like model.

You had a brilliant game, don't spoil it (or future products) by mishandling people that actually support you.
EnvoidNul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
oldbrokenlink

while i can appreciate that others may feel differently

i love all the updates and dlcs!

it's one of the reasons i keep playing DD!

in fact since i've started playing DD I've had no time to play any other game, including BF3!

luckily for me my ISP does not have a bandwidth limit and I have plenty of bendwidth so 500-600 mb takes little time at all

so, I hope that Trendy keep coming up with weekly dlcs and updates, both free and paid.

all the new stuff is like going to the movies every week and much cheaper, today I paid $1.50 and I will play it endlessly until the Shards 3 dlc comes out!'

I also love all the bug fixes that are soo quickly fixed, I'm not one of those that likes to wait months for a fix, I don't mind daily or even multiple releases a day, so long as its tested enough that it don't break things more I'm fine with all the fixes. Shows how much they work on the product and themselves play it that they find a problem and fix it asap!

Last edited by oldbrokenlink: 04-13-2012 at 06:24 PM.
oldbrokenlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
EnvoidNul

I've never liked forced advertising of purchasable content in a paid game or wasting bandwidth on something I don't want. Your post does however make me realise I'm in the wrong demographic for this type of mixed sales model (which I personally find dubious), so while it may not suit me some people do genuinely enjoy it.

Best solution for me is to uninstall, stop complaining, steer clear of future product and let people the system is designed for enjoy it.

Cheers.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
carlh267

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforum123 View Post
These constant updates are driving me nuts - can you not just wait a few days and send out one large update, instead of now and then.
For someone with such slow internet, it's a big pain.
When you have rather serious bugs, like not getting any rewards for doing challenges, they kind of have an obligation to patch it quickly. I'd recommend turning off auto updates if your internet is slow, however, in order to have your internet speed go faster until you want to start playing again.
carlh267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Marioface5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvoidNul View Post
This game is getting close to being uninstalled like I have done with TF2 if the constant patching keeps up. You don't buy games to then be force fed the freemium like model.

You had a brilliant game, don't spoil it (or future products) by mishandling people that actually support you.
Go ahead and uninstall it then. Or, more rationally, you could turn off auto-updates since you can play offline.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
oldbrokenlink

Quote:
I've never liked forced advertising of purchasable content in a paid game or wasting bandwidth on something I don't want. Your post does however make me realise I'm in the wrong demographic for this type of mixed sales model (which I personally find dubious), so while it may not suit me some people do genuinely enjoy it.

Best solution for me is to uninstall, stop complaining, steer clear of future product and let people the system is designed for enjoy it.

Cheers.
most of the releases are fixes and free stuff, even the dlc release have lots of free stuff and fixes in them!

and none of the paid extras are needed

also trendy appears to be a very little company with like 1m sales

if they made $10 / game that is like $10m which is like peanuts

so they have to find ways to constantly make payroll or the whole things dies and we don't want that

i honestly enjoy all the $1.50 trinkets, like this week new map, new challenge, new weapons, new costume, new pet, ect

its like tv series and i'm getting latest installment, gives me something to do until next week.

honestly $1.5 i waste on like a soda and i get less enjoyment out of it.

with regards to the size of the releases, well yes $300-600 mb daily our couple times a day while no problem for me maybe a problem for some. so trendy must work to resolve this. one way is for them to start using something like patch which instead of having the while file that is changed be required to be downloaded only the small differences need to be downloaded and a program applies the changes. or some other means that would greatly limit the number of files and the size of file the change has to be priority for trendy

finally, even with all the paid dcls which i have all purchased i still have paid less then like $50-$60 and because of all the fun content i find myself playing it more than other games i've paid a lot more for. i guess i quickly get tired of playing the same thing and this game is always different. even when playing the new map i can one week play as apprentice, another as ev, ect. which is different enough for me.

also, i think it's great to get the latest patches, why would like like to have a bug bothering me more than i need to.

i honestly hope that trendy does not change it's pace of releases. i don't mine 2-3 releases a day, i dont mind releases every week, ect.

hopefully they will keep adding new stuff, new heroes, new maps, new challenges, new game modes, new weapons, new armor, new costumes, ect both paid and free as fast as they can.

Last edited by oldbrokenlink: 04-13-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
oldbrokenlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioface5 View Post
Go ahead and uninstall it then. Or, more rationally, you could turn off auto-updates since you can play offline.
that would work for people that dont play it often and it would only need updating when they later go to play. i'm not sure why people just don't do this. its easy enough to do!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
crazyforum123

Surprisingly all good points and well argued - thanks for your input guys. Think I'm just gunna have to turn the auto-updates off!
crazyforum123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
EnvoidNul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioface5 View Post
I think the biggest problem with this solution (but thanks for being obvious) is that you're effectively turning a game primarily bought for MP (by myself) into an SP game for the sake of their sales model.

I get very little from something like this offline and shouldn't have to adhere to what you think is acceptable when its not. If something annoys you greatly, you get rid of it - I see nothing rational in playing halves when you paid for full.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
Marioface5

Quote:
I think the biggest problem with this solution (but thanks for being obvious) is that you're effectively turning a game primarily bought for MP (by myself) into an SP game for the sake of their sales model.

I get very little from something like this offline and shouldn't have to adhere to what you think is acceptable when its not. If something annoys you greatly, you get rid of it - I see nothing rational in playing halves when you paid for full.
Then as I said, go ahead and uninstall it. Or you could just put up with the updates since unless you have an extremely crappy connection they don't take long at all. But whining about the developers supporting their game is just stupid; saying you might uninstall as if that were a threat is even worse. Nothing happens to Trendy if you uninstall the game. You already bought it, and it's not subscription based. So either play it and deal with the patches, or stop whining and uninstall it.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
EnvoidNul

I'm not quite sure why you take it so personally or offer 'solutions' you should already realise aren't valid.

Accept that some people aren't going to feel the same way you do like I had already (prior to your post) with oldbrokenlink, he gave valid reasons as to why he enjoys it and I respect that. You on the other hand seem to prefer trolling already resolved issues, stating the obvious in an attempt to add weight to you remarks and being incredibly snarky.

You haven't added anything helpful or attempted to. I uninstalled and won't be buying another Trendy product due to their DLC model, you like it and that's fine, get over it.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
Marioface5

I'm sorry if I seem rude, I just get tired of seeing people on this forum whine about patches and DLC just because they don't like updating their game more than once a month.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
carlh267

Quote:

Sales model? More often than not their patches are bugfixes, not adding DLC.
carlh267 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeon Defenders