Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Fac3hugg3r

Lightbulb Option to remove Steam Community aliases

I have suggestion to improve Steam Community experience. When you visit a Steam Community profile and click on a small arrow next to profile name, you will get a notification "This user has also played as ******".

I would like to have an option to remove this aliases history. Why would someone need it? Well, for one some person would like to remain anonymous in game, by changing his Steam Community nickname. Or he might be a target of stalker, or got involved in some flame war then feels ashamed and wants to start over. Anyway, there are many good reasons someone would not want information about his previous nicknames displayed.

In my case, I recently regained access to a hacked Steam account. All is great except for one thing: after editing my Steam Community page back to normal, the history of aliases remains. It's unpleasant to see that hacker left a mark on my account. I asked Steam Support if they can erase aliases history, they answered that it is not possible to do manually right now and suggested to post it on this forum section. So here I am
Old 04-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Mr_Keroro

But in another respect people can cheat and hide themselves by changing their name fast or scam people with the account and then it's hard to track them down.
Mr_Keroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Mr_Hax4869

There's one problem though, there are many scammers who constantly change names to avoid being caught and reported to Steam Support. If this option were to exist, then the scammer would be safe and sound from being banned. Heck, even the scammers could impersonate a TF2WH bot easily, and then the people wouldn't even know.
Mr_Hax4869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Menaus

Steam knows your Account name so this wouldn't be a problem.
Menaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Mr_Hax4869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menaus View Post
Steam knows your Account name so this wouldn't be a problem.
Oh really? Do you mean by the Steam IDs?
Mr_Hax4869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Menaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Hax4869 View Post
Oh really? Do you mean by the Steam IDs?
Yes...
Menaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Klawvin!

Thumbs up Yes.

Yeah, I totally agree with you Fac3hugg3r.

I Feel you bro.
Klawvin! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Grimhound

Agreed. As well, as people age, sometimes they want to leave the past behind them.
Grimhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
jacek2144

I found simple way to hind your name

change few times your name example :

Gaben.
Gaben..
Gaben...
Gaben.... Until Your old nick gone from list
jacek2144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Riva Bechtol

SO LAME!!!! I hate this!! I had to verify my tf2items back pack and then the lameO code was stuck in my names list. Had to overload names like jacek2144 said just to make it go away. Now I have 10 screwed up names on my list. (BTW, I fail to see how this could help with scammers since they could reset their names 10 times and then they would be anonymous again anyway). I don't think it needs to be removed though, I think I should just be able to erase mistakes on it like that stupid code. :/ VALVE!!! Are you gonna handle this issue or what? :/ I noticed it's been several MONTHS since this thread was started from the advice of STEAM SUPPORT. Are we gonna get at least a response?????

Last edited by Riva Bechtol: 07-05-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Riva Bechtol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Reg.Senyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fac3hugg3r View Post

"This user has also played as ******".
I would like to have an option to remove this aliases history.... Or he might be a target of stalker
I agree with Fac3hugg3r.
We can block stalkers (bad-mannered players) on Steam menu. But we can't block them from joining my/our games.
I also hope Steam will add this option too
Reg.Senyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg.Senyou View Post
But we can't block them from joining my/our games.
I also hope Steam will add this option too
http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=7025

Quote:
Once you add someone to your blocked list, they will not be able to join your game. This means they are blocked through the lobby interface, the server browser, the recently played list, and even direct connecting. They are gone from your life.

This does also mean if a friend invites them to your game, they will be blocked. It also prevents you from joining a game where there is a player you have blocked. If it was a mistake or you kissed and made up, you can always unblock them and everything will return to normal.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
KBX

Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacek2144 View Post
I found simple way to hind your name

change few times your name example :

Gaben.
Gaben..
Gaben...
Gaben.... Until Your old nick gone from list

it worked, but not 3-4 times, like u said, it had to be done 10 times like another poster after u said. Plus at one time u can only make 7 changes, then you get the following dialog
http://s16.postimage.org/eniif3imr/steamprofilename.jpg

Steam doesn't want you to chance your name too often. After 7 dots, wait 5 minutes and add 4 more, it does indeed work.
KBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
matthewdoucette

I'd like to have an option to clean up my past aliases, but not for cheating or hiding. It appears that it correctly has my past alias as "Matthew Doucette", and I have since changed it to my Xbox LIVE Gamertag "Xonatron", but somehow it has my brother as my alias, "Jason Doucette", and I am not sure why. It is a mistake. One potential reason for this is when Jason first had a Steam account, before I did, I used his account a few times, signing into it on my computer. Perhaps Steam knew that it was me somehow? Perhaps I used my email address someone while using his account (does not make sense really)? And perhaps it linked the two? I have no idea. Whatever the case, the past alias is wrong and was never intended.
matthewdoucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
matthewdoucette

Ah, and I see that changing my name to "Xonatron" has left "matthewdoucette" as my username. How can I change that? I still have to use "matthewdoucette" to long in, and I would rather just use "Xonatron" for everything.
matthewdoucette is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas