Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sniper Elite series > Sniper Elite V2

Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
TheSporeGA1

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEV2Community View Post
Thanks for your question, but the main reason why we wouldn't be able to do this is that it would have to be an entirely different game!

We've really striven to create an authentic sniping experience in a specific historical context - the ruins of Berlin in 1945.

Creating a game with different protagonists and setting would mean we'd have to start again from scratch, taking it beyond the realms (and budget) of simple DLC...
How about an expansion pack? You remember those old things right? Those little game things that add a lot more content to a game then a DLC? I mean, you wouldn't have to develop a whole new game, and you could still charge around 20 dollars for it if you do it right.

Just an idea.
TheSporeGA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
Savage117

I kinda like this idea, but a dev rep already said its not gonna happen, it does make an interesting discussion though.

I’m a American citizen and I enjoy games where I get to see the other side of the story, its interesting to see things from another point of view. Look at Hitler for example, I don't condone what he did in any way, but to him he was probably just trying to protect his people and increase their political and military power in the world. He went way too far, in my opinion, and he lost, but if he had won, who’s to say the world wouldn't be similar or the same after 50 years?

Getting back on track, in this setting I don't believe playing the German side would work too well, for one, they ultimately lose in the end, if we are following history, and many gamers wouldn't like that aspect, it makes all they have accomplished through the game feel wasted and senseless Only a very few games have been able to pull it off, Modern Warfare for instance, you don’t really lose in the end but your first hero does die, id call that a loss.

Look at Fallout 3 for example, its ending didn’t sit well with many, me included, it made me feel like id done all I had done for nothing, that’s not good.
Savage117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #18
runf

"Can we get DLC to play as German Sniper killing American Soldiers?"

Sure, and maybe they can get Sean Penn to voice a hip, sympathetic Hitler. Leave the moral relativism for Hollywood.
runf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #19
teereks

Banned
i want to play as mad civilian.
teereks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #20
Tuuba Ankka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonescr4per View Post
It wouldn't sell and it would be a nightmare to promote anywhere outside of Germany, the Middle East and Russia.
I'm sure entire Europe would love a WW2 game with a German protagonist
Tuuba Ankka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
pat_pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuuba Ankka View Post
I'm sure entire Europe would love a WW2 game with a German protagonist
germany censors pretty much everything that's related to WW2.

it's like they're trying to pretend it didn't happen
pat_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #22
apxfvz

I don´t see why not. You can play as one in RO2.
apxfvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #23
UkManiak

As an American, I would gladly play this game! >
UkManiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #24
Sikaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellAvenger View Post
hitler wasnt trying to protect its people..... anyway

ya US consumers wont buy it. and they are a huge market segment.

Most average US consumers think like this, "WE ARE #1! WE ARE FORCE OF RIGHTEOUS! WHATS CANADA? (a country right beside US) IS IT MEXICO? (Because they always complain about illegal workers from there) CHINA AND RUSSIA ARE BAD (ESPECIALLY during election time)"

a lot of american are very OBLIVIOUS what is going on in the world. talking to one is very funny.
Gotta love stereotypes
Sikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
Gir554

Quote:
Originally Posted by quanta78 View Post
You know, I can't think of a single friend I have that plays video games that would cancel their pre-order or not purchase the game based on the killing of American soldiers. Once something is a 50+ year old event, it's nothing but silly politically correct BS or outright stupidity saying that the American consumers will boycott the product based on some misguided sense of "patriotism". Get your out there and vote, or enlist if you are a patriot, leave the video *games* out of it. Yes I am an American Citizen, served in the armed forces, and would relish a chance to play the german sniper, just for the variety. And the smexy uniform
I have to agree.No one I know would really care much.You don't have to hate America to kill Americans in a game.
Gir554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
gijas04

To me Id rather kill Soviets anyday than German soldiers. Kind of like a modern day Patton. Anyway, yeah I think Americans(speaking about me of course) would love to play something different from the other side of the war as we seemed to rewrite history as the victors (remember COD MW 2?). Americans are usually open game for anything new and different just look at our crazy political position these days. The problem is Europe not America. The Euros might think that if European citizens were able to play as a Waffen SS soldier that the Forth Reich would be inevitable. I would be more concerned with Vladimir Putin going all Stalin on the world myself. Just saying..

Last edited by gijas04: 04-19-2012 at 09:42 PM.
gijas04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #27
Hokum

The market for a fps or shooting game starring the Germans in WW2 is HUGE.

It's the one perspective we haven't seen yet (along with the Japanese, of course).

To make it more PC for the overly uptight American audience/media, just set it on the eastern front versus the Soviets.

Back in the day, when Medal of Honor was the main game in town, the counterpart title was obvious: CROSS OF IRON.
Hokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
Scorpio27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfShotTheFood View Post
What a stupid request.
I can guess you are American
Scorpio27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #29
DeadPoolX

Interesting idea, but the only way I think it'd sell is if the German sniper eventually joined the Allies and turned against the Axis. You could probably get away with having one or two areas where you kill Americans (or British, Canadian, French, Polish, etc), but after that, the focus would need to change.
DeadPoolX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #30
Volksgrenadier

I bet the OP and everyone who agrees with this thread stacks the German team on every WW2 game 24/7.
Volksgrenadier is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sniper Elite series > Sniper Elite V2