Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 04-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
TheUnreal

Valve, start doing right by your customers. No more 3rd-Party DRM on Steam.

Many Steam customers and the general PC community alike have in the past have voiced their disdain for 3rd-party DRM, I think it's universally accepted that it's a ridiculous concept as Steam itself is DRM and more than enough of it. Furthermore, Valve themselves warn publishers that adding 3rd-party DRM will definitely hurt sales and they should absolutely avoid doing it if possible.

What needs to happen.

You, yes you! The steam customer needs to have some self-restraint and flat out stop purchasing games with 3rd-party DRM. That's it, not 'Oh I'll wait for a sale' or 'I'll just get this one title, that won't make a difference' - STOP IT. You are the problem, you're saying it's okay by giving them your hard earned cash for an inferior product and don't bloody pirate either, it's pathetic - just skip it altogether.

Of course I know this isn't a 100% possible request as most people don't have much/any will power and obviously not everyone will see this thread, but even just a dent in sales will force Valve to at least consider making no 3rd-Party DRM a policy for Steam and then everyone will benefit.. The customer will get a better product, the dev will get more revenue, the pub will see increased sales and even Valve will get a nice cut of the profits. EVERYBODY WINS.

The thing is Valve/Steam over the years have grown to be loved and highly respected by the majority of PC gamers and console gamers alike. They have a huge monopoly on this space and are almost 'entrusted' to look after it, so why aren't they? I remember a long time ago when everyone was far more weary of Steam. "What happens if my net goes down? What happens if Valve gets bought out/goes bankrupt? etc" Valve came out and said (I'm paraphrasing since I can't remember the exact quote, if anyone can find it please link) "If Valve were ever to be forced offline/bankrupt, the DRM in Steam would be completely removed to allow for uninterrupted offline play." So if this is Valve's opinion of their own service then why do they allow publishers to supersede them with their own set of rules.

Just think about it, if Steam went down for good tomorrow or there was no more internet for whatever reason, how many of your games would you actually be able to play? Even if Valve removed their DRM in Steam, how many of your games have 3rd-party DRM and would still be rendered unplayable.

Thanks for reading.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
masterchef341

You don't have to worry, this will happen naturally. There are enough people who are just tired of their games not working that they won't buy DRM games anymore and it will make a dent in cash flow of the system.

Even ubisoft has come out recently and said that they were going to try new DRM strategies because they were tired of losing money. Ubisoft was the classic company that just didn't "get it". They largely had the worst DRM around, and it just wasn't connecting that their insane DRM only hurts legitimate customers who aren't pirating anyway. Now that they are a laughing stock and losing huge sums of money, they've decided to re-evaluate.

Last edited by masterchef341: 04-15-2012 at 09:09 AM.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
rxmonste

Game developers deserve to have protection in their games because it's their decision. plus you know why Develepors choose to have protection. they discussed it once.
they said that until piracy stops they are going to have a protection system to make sure people bought the game legally and activated it through the client, and on PC the client is Steam. and i think it's a good idea because Valve did this protection system to make sure that them and 3rd party companies get money for their PC games. and if you apreciate the companies you have to support them. and i'm fine with this system. to be honest i only download through Steam by paying for the game then activating it without need for serial code. if you bought it from a retail though, you need the serial code.

Last edited by rxmonste: 04-15-2012 at 09:53 AM.
rxmonste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Renderwahn

Good thing is that the Steam shop usualy displays a large message if a game contains additional DRM, which makes me happy because I don't end up buying one of those games accidentaly. It would be even better if there was a setting to filter those games completly out and don't display them at all. Steam itself is annoying enough from time to time so I don't want an additional layer of stuff that can go wrong. It just leaves a realy sour taste if you can't play a game you once bought because some additional "functionality" failed that adds nothing pleasant at all to my experience and only has negative side effects. I learned my lesson and my huge backlog of unplayed games makes it now very easy just to not buy those games.
Renderwahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
durrchet

Implying they can force devs to do so. Alot of developers are closeminded and actually think DRM solves piracy problems. You can't change that.
durrchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
NCPereira

I completely agree with OP. All these DRM needs to stop. And why do they keep doing them? Because people buy their games! If people stopped doing it they would see what they are doing wrong.

But we are just a very very few among many many people who just don't care / don't know. It's like how the world is atm. Unless everyone was gone for good, like dinosaurs, this won't get better.
NCPereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
GDL

Agreed and supported, but it won't happen any time soon.
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
weegie

I find arguments such as the OPs hilarious. Anyone who pirates does so because they can. If they use any other excuse, it's a lie. They do it so they don't have to spend money and because whatever they are downloading is readily available for free.

Your arguments about DRM were probably started by some pirate who wanted an excuse in case the cops showed up. People just jumped on a bandwagon because it gave them an excuse.

DRM does not hurt games, or gamers. It is a total myth. DRM is there for the companies to protect their products. Whether it works or not is irrelevant. Asking them to remove it is the argument of a poor man trying to sound big on the internet. If you created something, which you had spent thousands of pounds/dollars/rubles on, and someone started giving it out for free, you would do anything you could to prevent that.

If you really are that upset about it, even though there is no justification for it, then vote with your wallet. Don't buy games with DRM. You'll miss out on some of the best games in the market, but at least you can sleep easy at night knowing you've stood up for what you believe in. I, on the other hand, will buy games whether they have DRM or not, and I'll enjoy them. I may not buy them at full price, because that's another matter entirely, but I'll still buy them regardless.

Just to prove my point, if DRM causes piracy and not having DRM stops piracy, then why can I download any game on GoG, famous for only having games without DRM, without having to pay for it? If you can give me a logical, well thought out, and intelligent response then I may concede. However I've asked this of many people, and as of yet no-one can prove me wrong.
weegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
TheUnreal

weegie, I can't tell if you're an awful troll or an incredibly simple person. What are you even ranting about and who are you ranting to? I mentioned pirates once, I'll reiterate since you didn't read it - I was stating that consumers should not by games with 3rd-party DRM on Steam in protest and whether they still want to play them or not they should not obtain the game by illegal methods either.

Hopefully that's cleared it up for you, and I'm sorry you misunderstood but I don't think I can engage in discussion with someone who can't even read and then process what I've written, that would be unfair.
TheUnreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
Berent

Any DRM protection besides a server client model with permanent internet connection is useless on the pc. Thus I dislike any other DRM.
Ubisoft DRM has permanent internet requirement but their programmers or policies must suck. Thus I also dislike them.
Berent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
weegie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnreal View Post
weegie, I can't tell if you're an awful troll or an incredibly simple person. What are you even ranting about and who are you ranting to? I mentioned pirates once, I'll reiterate since you didn't read it - I was stating that consumers should not by games with 3rd-party DRM on Steam in protest and whether they still want to play them or not they should not obtain the game by illegal methods either.

Hopefully that's cleared it up for you, and I'm sorry you misunderstood but I don't think I can engage in discussion with someone who can't even read and then process what I've written, that would be unfair.
You may have only mentioned pirates directly once, but you discuss DRM, which the primary purpose is to prevent people pirating the game. Maybe I did get a little carried away on that bit, and I will concede to that, but your arguments on DRM are still totally invalid, imho.

I, nor any of my friends in the gaming community, have ever, and I mean EVER, had any problems with DRM. Some say it causes problems, some say it stops people playing their games. Does it hell. I've had games that claim to have a 3 or 5 install limit, and installed them at least 15 times without a single issue. I've never had any DRM send my info back to the companies. I've never had a DRM that people consider 'Malware'. That is the main excuses that people have for not liking DRM, but they're all lies.

Besides, you're going about it the wrong way. Developers put DRM on to prevent piracy, but then they also increase the price of the game. People dislike the price increase, not the DRM, and pirate the game instead. If games were cheaper more people would buy the game, and the developers would have no need to put DRM on their games.

Go after the developers for the prices, not the DRM. After all, they are just protecting their product.
weegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
cereal3

Quote:
DRM does not hurt games, or gamers. It is a total myth. DRM is there for the companies to protect their products. Whether it works or not is irrelevant.
DRM: Consumers get the game and find DRM can be annoying and hard to live with. Pirates crack the protection and play anyway
No-DRM: Consumers get the game and can play without annoyances. Pirates play anyway

DRM justs harm consumers more in the end, pirates play either way
cereal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
Quartemetal

I'll admit I'm put off a game when it has DRM. Especially the you-can-only-install-so-many-times kind. I do a lot of switching about and fixing my computer so I don't even want to risk it.
Quartemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
teereks

Banned
Take a look at wargame. No valid crack until now.
teereks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
real4xor

meh, I`m starting to get used to that crap.

But it would be nice if they would discard archaic systems like install limits and such.
They are a HUGE annoyance to paying customers, and don`t stop piracy at all.
real4xor is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas