Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
liquidMountain

Question "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm you network connection..."

NOW FIXED! SEE LAST EDIT!

Every time I try to update, Steam stops at about 25% and says this in an error message:

"Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm you network connection..."

I opened my console and saw these:

http://content.screencast.com/users/...c/00000039.png

I've deleted the stuff in the Steam file (all of it) after many failed attempts to fix the problem, and now I can't seem to find these files again and the problem still occurs! Please help.

And don't even think of telling me to reinstall it. I've done it so many times it's this

AND REMEMBER: I have NO folders in my Library>Application Support>Steam folder as I deleted them!

EDIT: GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! I found a download of all the files that are meant to go into Library>Application Support>Steam, which should help! However it didn't have the SteamApps folder, which is fine since it was the one file I saved from erasure.

EDIT2: I tried this fix, where I type this into the console

cd /
cd Applications
cd Steam.app
cd Contents
cd MacOS
./steam.sh

This time the update went to about 70% and this appeared in the console:

Quote:
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
SteamUpdater: Error: Download failed: http error 200
SteamUpdater: Error: Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again.
Help?

EDIT3: FIXED!

Well I downloaded a new bootstrapper file after some googling and added it to the "public file". And since I was getting a new error in the Console that said it wasn't downloading Steam_osx, I downloaded another of those and put it in the Steam folder. It successfully finished the update and started Steam! But it did ask me to log-in.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by liquidMountain: 04-16-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: FIXED!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
SargeAbernathy

This solution did not work for me. Although getting a bootstrapper did take care of that error, the error of it not downloading a public_all batch was repeated and would not be corrected by manual download.

I've been searching for awhile and it seems to me that although we all have the same problem, fixes are coming in various forms and shapes. Not all the fixes work for everyone else.

Still in the dark here
SargeAbernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:46 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
JoeR

Valve
We've had enough problems with the 'connection' stuff that it's frustrating that we introduced a pure 'update' problem. The initial update Thursday had a bug where the client would recognize new updates on steam launch, but would not find them while steam was running. This is fixed in the current update I put up Friday night.

Note there will be another update coming tonight to fix the 200% CPU problem when some games are running.

Anyways... if you can't pick up the Apr 20, or later, update (see the steam about box) - and there is no apparent error - you are seeing the problem. The problem shows as just not seeing the update.

If you locate your Steam.App, and either do 'Show Contents' from Finder, or pop into it from Terminal, the problem will be fixed if you remove the files in the 'package' directory in Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/package/.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
SargeAbernathy

Downloaded recent Steam application in the "About" page today, Sunday 22nd. Replaced Steam.app on computer with new application. About 1/3 of the way through "Updating Steam" it informs me that "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

I go to the application and ask to "Show Package Contents" I navigate Contents/MacOS/package. The folder is completely empty.

I go to my Terminal. I navigate to steam.sh file as suggested and ran it. The following information occurs:

ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
SteamUpdater: Error: Download of package (public_all) failed after 0 bytes (200).
SteamUpdater: Error: Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again.

Again, the program tells me that "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

Unable to locate "public" file referenced in the first line. After attempting to run Steam a second time a package appears in the "package" folder. I delete this file and attempt to run Steam a third time as suggested.

Again, it tells me that "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

Just for a lark, I deleted the entire "package" folder. Once again I ran Steam. Once again it stopped.

I'm really not sure where to go to from here. Should I just wait for tonight's update?

EDIT: On reading the times for the previous posts, I suppose the new "update" has already occurred and I downloaded that already to no avail. If anyone else can give any suggestions I would be very appreciative.

I also went to library/application_support/config and opened config.vdf and I've tried restarting and updating Steam with "First Run" showing both "0" and "1". This had also been suggested in several forums I've visited. No dice. Also attempted to delete registry.vdf but again this did not fix anything.

Last edited by SargeAbernathy: 04-22-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
SargeAbernathy

Just for an update. I tried deleting not only steam.app, but also the steam folder in the application support folder of my library. Then reinstalled the program with the lastest update. Still didn't work, and once again it came up with the same message.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
JoeR

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeAbernathy View Post
Just for an update. I tried deleting not only steam.app, but also the steam folder in the application support folder of my library. Then reinstalled the program with the lastest update. Still didn't work, and once again it came up with the same message.
I assume you pulled a new steam download from http://media.steampowered.com/client...ller/steam.dmg

If you open the dmg and look at the steam app inside, what was the date on it? (and better yet the date on the inside Contents/MacOS/osx32/steam file?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
rockindy

I also met the same message when updating my steam client.
I hope the Valve can provide a link for download latest FULL mac steam client to solve those updating issues.
rockindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
nabelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
I assume you pulled a new steam download from http://media.steampowered.com/client...ller/steam.dmg

If you open the dmg and look at the steam app inside, what was the date on it? (and better yet the date on the inside Contents/MacOS/osx32/steam file?
I have the same problems since yesterday as the other ones here.
Every time steam wants to update after e few minutes " "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm you network connection...". I puled the latest steam.dmg from http://media.steampowered.com/client...ller/steam.dmg but this also doesn't work.

If i open the .dmg an look at the date of the steam.app it reads "07.03.2012 23:04".
The same date and time also inside Contents/MacOS/osx32/steam file.

Any suggestions...This is really annoying.
nabelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
darancib

Dear Steam Support team,

First of all, please forgive me if I'm not posting the message in the right place. Second, I'm not sure what is the relationship of this forum with the Company providing the service of Steam, so again, please forgive me if I'm not sending the message to the right people -I would appreciate direction on whom to contact if that's the case.

Going to the topic: I have the same problem that several users had been posting in this an other forums. I bought FM 2012 and after an automatic update last Thursday it stopped to work. I read a temporal solution offered in this forum and reinstalled Steam without letting it to update. That allowed me to play during the weekend, but then it somehow got to update anyway, presenting the problem again.

I tried to do the same, but this time, when I start steam for the first time after installing-reinstalling process, I got this "please check your internet connection message". I tried deleting folder inside the package, downloading the latest client in the steam page; nothing works.

Bottom line, I'm not being able to play any game for which I payed for, so I would like, if possible, two things:
1. Please let me know a suitable technical solution for my problem
2. Please put me in contact with Steam commercial department, since I would like some kind of commercial compensation for not being able to use the products I bought.

Thanks in advance,

Demian
darancib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:51 AM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10
JoeR

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabelo View Post
If i open the .dmg an look at the date of the steam.app it reads "07.03.2012 23:04".
The same date and time also inside Contents/MacOS/osx32/steam file.

Any suggestions...This is really annoying.
Not sure why the CDN caches haven't expired this one. I would say 'try again and see if it's newer', but I'd rather go get more info first. It /should/ be dated April 20ish.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
Mangr0v3

Quote:
Not sure why the CDN caches haven't expired this one. I would say 'try again and see if it's newer', but I'd rather go get more info first. It /should/ be dated April 20ish.
I just pulled that DMG and the binary in there is dated 8 March 2012 at 09:04 AM, which I'm guessing is nabelo's date but in Australian Eastern Standard Time. The HTTP headers signify an April date though:

Code:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx/0.6.35
Content-Type: application/octet-stream
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 04:55:19 GMT
Last-Modified: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:37:25 GMT
Content-Length: 3223304
Connection: keep-alive
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
MysticalOS

This doesn't work for me either. I've tried everything. to be honest. Steam hasn't had a SINGLE clean update in the 2 years i've run it. It's always taken several hours for EVERY steam update. Is this process ever going to be fixed? I assure you I have no connection or pathing problems. Connection is fine, ports are open. Nothing is blocking download but bad client code. Since day one, updates stop, restart a dozen times, etc. I usually have to spam check for updates, empty package folder a dozen or more times, etc, every update, until it finally decides to work right. Honestly We just need a FULLy binary compelte with all resources every patch, period. The binary you linked was tiny and was missing resources, so it STILL has to go through broken update process. Get rid of this broken auto update and just let me download a FULL updated client.

Closest i could find to a full client is
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...&postcount=246

which is full, but not current version, so again, useless, since it also gets stuck in a useless update process that isn't worth a crap.

I've also tried getting URls out of console messages to do it manually, but my console messages have no urls, period. all they have is this

Quote:
4/26/12 3:41:34.038 PM [0x0-0x1bb1bb].com.valvesoftware.steam: SteamID: 0, universe Public
4/26/12 3:42:56.922 PM [0x0-0x1bb1bb].com.valvesoftware.steam: ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
4/26/12 3:42:56.922 PM [0x0-0x1bb1bb].com.valvesoftware.steam: SteamUpdater: Error: Download of package (webkit_osx) failed after 0 bytes (0).
4/26/12 3:42:56.922 PM [0x0-0x1bb1bb].com.valvesoftware.steam: SteamUpdater: Error: Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again.
4/26/12 3:42:56.922 PM [0x0-0x1bb1bb].com.valvesoftware.steam: Thread "CHTTPClientThreadPool:0" (ID 0) failed to shut down
4/26/12 3:42:56.926 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x1bb1bb].com.valvesoftware.steam[3022]) Exited with code: 7
4/26/12 3:42:59.858 PM [0x0-0x1bf1bf].com.valvesoftware.steam: found breakpad via in process memory: '/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/../Frameworks/Breakpad.framework/Versions/A/Resources'
4/26/12 3:42:59.858 PM [0x0-0x1bf1bf].com.valvesoftware.steam: Installing breakpad crash handler
4/26/12 3:42:59.888 PM [0x0-0x1bf1bf].com.valvesoftware.steam: SteamID: 0, universe Public
4/26/12 3:42:59.890 PM [0x0-0x1bf1bf].com.valvesoftware.steam: SteamID: 0, universe Public
4/26/12 3:42:59.910 PM [0x0-0x1bf1bf].com.valvesoftware.steam: SteamID: 0, universe Public
4/26/12 3:42:59.910 PM [0x0-0x1bf1bf].com.valvesoftware.steam: SteamID: 0, universe Public
4/26/12 3:43:14.908 PM steam: kCGErrorInvalidConnection: CGSGetWindowTags: Invalid connection
4/26/12 3:43:14.908 PM steam: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
4/26/12 3:44:18.094 PM steam: kCGErrorInvalidConnection: CGSGetWindowTags: Invalid connection

Last edited by MysticalOS: 04-26-2012 at 12:46 PM.
MysticalOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #13
rlgs

Quote:
We've had enough problems with the 'connection' stuff that it's frustrating that we introduced a pure 'update' problem. The initial update Thursday had a bug where the client would recognize new updates on steam launch, but would not find them while steam was running. This is fixed in the current update I put up Friday night.

Quote:
Anyways... if you can't pick up the Apr 20, or later, update (see the steam about box) - and there is no apparent error - you are seeing the problem. The problem shows as just not seeing the update.
That's all very nice and all... Here we are on 28th April and the CDN download .dmg that comes via the 'Install Steam' button contains an app dated 19th April, with a package folder that is already empty and that refuses to update. {edit to add --> The dmg from the link above in this thread is also dated 19th April... They are one and the same and do not work}.

How's about a LINK to a dmg containing the correctly dated app, one that might actually work on the initial update, or better yet a FULL installable app that doesn't need to run this ridiculous and invariably broken initial update process.

Just a thought.

Last edited by rlgs: 04-28-2012 at 03:12 AM.
rlgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
JeffreyQJr

The solution is not working for me unfortunately ]: I just downloaded steam today. Kept getting errors around 20mb.

EDIT: Something weird happened in a good way. After retrying the terminal solution for my 12th time. It worked [: I don't know how but it worked. Thanks for the solution!

Last edited by JeffreyQJr: 04-29-2012 at 06:32 PM.
JeffreyQJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #15
harsaphes

Having the same problem. I've removed all traces of Steam from my MBAir, redownloaded and cant even do the install. Sigh. Any help in sight?
harsaphes is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam