Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series

Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Lexinator

Thumbs up ARMA 2 is quite possibly the greatest "real" FPS ever made. Why don't more ppl play?

Let me start this of as saying I tremendously enjoy the sniping in ARMA 2. Having just bought this game from Amazon for only $9.99, I can safely say that it is the BEST $10 I have ever spent on an FPS.

There are plenty of multiplayer games going, the bot AI isn't and the guns actually handle somewhat like the real thing. It's like the dev's were army boys! I have NEVER EVER played any other game where sniping takes as much skill as it does in ARMA 2. NEVER! Oh wow, it is a godsend calculating the bullet trajectory in a videogame.

Ever since my army days, I haven't had a similar experience. I have been looking for it, but never found it. Until now that is!

I still can't believe all the things ARMA 2 takes into account, including drift.

While using vehicles is a bit iffy, the actual weapon handling is amazing.

I can't believe that I finally found my perfect FPS.

Man, I can't wait for ARMA 3.

Hey, is not having any of the DLC going to punish me in any significant way?

My only real complaint is that there aren't that many games going. How come? This game is one of the most realistic, epickly awesome sandbox military simulators EVER made. BF3 and CoD: MW 3 have NOTHING on ARMA 2 save for prettier graphics.

Last edited by Lexinator: 04-15-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Duttebayo

You cant play the DLC campaigns without them. And some servers uses the skins you get from DLC, but awesome they are, they gave us Lite edition (Very low quality of the skins) instead, so we can play with everyone else.

If you got Combined ops, try out TAW_Tonics Wasteland server, its pretty good! Hard to get into at first, but it gets fun!
(Its blufor vs opfor vs civs(Civs can go rogue=kill other civs) and you have to find stuff and weapons out on the map and build bases and stuff )
Duttebayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Jedra

Lexinator - glad you enjoy it. The answer to your question is that most people play in clans/squads on their own private servers. I would say that around 80% of the people I have met are either military or ex-military so the game must be quite authentic! I am not by the way - so the game is not just for ex-squaddies!

I would suggest you take a look at the recruitment section on the BI forums here as you are bound to find a group of like minded people in the correct timezone there.
Jedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Lexinator

Thanks for the advice guys and + rep!
Lexinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
7th_Serf

I think the solo learning curve and some easily fixed installation problems turns folks off of the game. I can't even say how many times I've helped people get their games working with some mods and such and have them say "I never would have figured that out on my own". Those sort of responses tell me that while there have been vast improvements in making the game more easily modified, there are still some problems for people with 'special' types of installations (read: Steam) and this kills a lot of interest in the game.

Since the Arma family of games is more of a simulation than a 'FPS' it also intimidates the heck out of the 'twitch' crowd who think they are 'awesome sNipeRs' and such. Many of them never survive more than a few seconds in-MP (if they can get onto a server) and rather than figure out that they are doing silly things like running around in the open, or flagging themselves by taking potshots at things; they blame the game engine. I grit my teeth every time I read a 'got a great computer but game laggs' type post, and then they blame the game designers for not optimizing the game so it looks 'like Farcry' or some other FPS with a 500x500M play area and dumb AI. Many folks cannot simply understand how complex the AI is in Arma - they do their own pathfinding, searching, aiming and firing. With some AI scripts they even call in artillery, aircraft and other vehicles! Heck I've got them searching houses as well...

With that amount of stuff going on, it requires a pretty powerful CPU and a good server to give the best experience - and many folks just don't understand that - and instead blame the game.

Multiplayer is also sometimes pretty tough on new guys - many don't understand why they can't get in a server (say its got mods running, and signature checks - you'll go on the server, then get kicked - usually with only a 'you have the wrong signatures' message). This confuses people and makes them think that they are personally being kicked - which is not the case at all - but the impression stays with them. Open public servers tend to be hacked - kids show up and have downloaded some lame game ruining scripts and they delight in ruining the experience for everyone else - hence why most group servers are either locked, passworded or like mine; use signature checking and Battleye to prevent hackers - and even then we sometimes lock the server during missions and training to cut down on folks joining and interrupting what we're doing.

If you are looking at trying out mulitplayer - check the servers near you (go for ones with less than 150ms ping) and then see if it has a clan/unit name on it or a webpage - usually this will tell you if they have Teamspeak or some other communications program running; go on that FIRST - then ask if any mods are required or if the server is open to the public - usually guys are more than happy to help you, but some groups are kind of closed. Either way you'll save yourself some grief just by dropping in and saying hello.

Good luck in the Armaverse! If you ever need any help drop by my TS3 server; chicago.jestservers.com:7455 Password: hooah -- ask for Sim or the other guys can usually help (usually...).
7th_Serf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
cotabucky

There are a lot of us that just simply ask more from a game but simplicity.OFP and ARMA2 are prime examples of what people who want more ask for.I am and always will be a diehard fan.I love editing,hate editing,but love editing coop missions lol . That is the average fan of the series.I have a ton of confidence ARMA3 will be the end all of the series but even ARMA2 with the not perfect extremely long learning curve for complete online coop fun(editing) its all worth it.Arma2 is My favorite game in existance.
cotabucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #7
sniperkiller266

Cool

Because there are people at play cod or other depressing games.
sniperkiller266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Overclocker_

People don't play because it's a game that needs a beefy PC, and learning the controls can be like trying to dance a tango with one leg and one arm, while reciting a poem in a different language.
Overclocker_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
Jedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocker_ View Post
People don't play because it's a game that needs a beefy PC, and learning the controls can be like trying to dance a tango with one leg and one arm, while reciting a poem in a different language.
Up, Down, Left, Right, Aim, crouch, prone, stand, Fire - pretty much all you need to start with. Also, if you are that way inclined, these are all mapped to an Xbox 360 controller.

Yes, there are more controls, but you can learn them as you go along.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
7th_Serf

you forgot; walk, run, lean left and right - that might be causing some confusion - as well as optics. Really I don't understand these complaints about the controls - if you want to play with ACE it requires a few more keys; interaction, interaction(self), set weapon. If using ACRE then its open radio, push to talk, radio talk, switch radio.

All of these key commands can easily be modified and learned with a bit of dedication.

Sadly it seems that the lowest common denominator runs gaming now (console gamers) and what they require is absolute simplicity. Some of us prefer more freedom of movement and the ability to lean around corners without the game deciding for us. Sadly with BF3 and CoD clones aplenty, it looks like that's where the money is, low learning curve - but I caution BIS not to fall into the trap of making the game more approachable - soon they'll demand easier flight physics, then the ability to jump tanks over buildings, then... it goes on and on from there.

Realism means you have to expect things to be a lot more complicated - not overwhelmingly so, but more than what a 'FPS' or 'Tactical shooter' usually requires. I don't mind stamina, wind effects, ballistic drop or even twisting my ankle when I jump 2M with 50kg on my back. It's part of the immersion in the game and its why I play it nearly every day.
7th_Serf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Jedra

I doubt BIS will be swayed by 'popular' opinion - by all accounts they have added several new 'stances' in the animations for Arma 3 so there will be more keys to press.

Fortunately Arma is not a 'twitch' shooter so there is usually time to remember which key you are supposed to be pressing at any given time!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series