Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Guild Wars

Old 04-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Iisky

Getting into Guild Wars?

So, I admit that I've never paid much attention to Guild Wars. I was just a fledgling in the MMO world when it first came out, scornful and recently jaded by other pay-to-play and monthly subscription models that I just couldn't afford, much less find the time to play.

That doesn't mean that Guild Wars hadn't noticed me. No matter how many circles of friends I go through, there's always someone in there who plays this game; and with the coming GW2, I'm seeing it on their monitors and hearing it over their voice chats more often than ever. The boyfriend's sister even got into some beta weekends, leading to me looking curiously over her shoulder. And so help me, Guild Wars 2 looks amazing.

But like I said before, never been into the series and I'd hate to jump into something as pricey as GW2 as a fair-weather fan. Is there any literature I should read, or should I just run out and grab the first installments? Is there any point to playing GW with the sequel on the horizon? How - and where - should I begin?

TL;DR
What should I know about Guild Wars to prepare me for Guild Wars 2?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Ghost Dog

All you need to know is that after you buy the box you don't have to spend a dime to have fun.

Guild wars 1 was great, a totally different game than part 2 but still great, I've earned a lot of rewards that will carry over to guild wars 2 but if I were you I wouldn't worry about that, we all know the best items will be in GW2 and not come from GW1, no need to feel like you're going to be missing something.

I guess the main thing you should know about GW1 in preparation for GW2 is this, Skill is more valuable than time invested.
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Iisky

Thanks for the info, Ghost Dog. It's great to hear after my few nice experiences with pay-to-play MMOs, and many more cringe-worthy experiences with pay-to-win ones.

I saw a copy of the Guild Wars Complete Collection at one of the local retailers today, and asked them to put it on hold for me: trying to decide if it's a good bang for my $30 before I buy it. I know the two play like completely different games, though, so I'm not sure.

Last edited by Iisky: 04-18-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Iisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
DARKNIGHT

30 dollar for such an ammount of content is a steal no matter how you slice it.

Since there is still no release date on gw2, why not get into the first right now, learn the story, locations and general feel of the game.
DARKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
Iisky

Will Guild Wars 2 follow the same story/take place in the same world as 1? I know that the first focuses mostly on the humans in Ascalon, while there are all kinds of races in the trailers for 2.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
DARKNIGHT

No it will be a different story, guild wars 2 timeline is 250 years later, so i guess you will get some historical references to major events that happened in guild wars, but it will be a story on its own, possibly based on race as well.
DARKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Zyat

The beginnings of the GW2 story happen in Eye of the North, needless to say its FAR in the past of GW2, EoTN kinda sets the stage so to speak. EoTN is also where you get introduced to the Asura and Norn.

Events in the Prophecies campaign will also be referenced I'm sure since its the main story. Prophecies leads to EoTN leads to GW2.
Zyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Iisky

Aah, okay. That would explain why the Hall of Monuments is the part that plays a role. That's kind of cool, that they're fine with changing/evolving their whole world like that.

I think I'll pick it up and give it a try. Thanks for putting up with my questions, guys; and if you have any newbie-helping hints for me, feel free to drop them here.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Goldenboy77

Hi Iisky, sent you a PM

Have fun with GW
Goldenboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #10
Iisky

Responded, with thanks! =)
Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
MustBeTr1ppin

I played guild wars since the day it was released, it was a HUGE community and always had parties going in and out of quests.
After not playing for years and hearing about the release of GW2 this year I decided to hop back on GW1, the realms are much less populated and there is a dying crowd starting from level 1 making partying up a bit harder.

But the game is still alive and there are still tons of players out there.

I am actually going to start a new character soon and If you end up purchasing the game I would love to party up to get through those early stages
MustBeTr1ppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
Iisky

I'd be more than okay with that. =)
Sent you a PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
MithranArkanere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iisky View Post
[...]
You don't need to know anything about Guild Wars to prepare yourself for Guild Wars 2.
The gameplay is great. You don't need the backstory and the lore to enjoy it.
You'll just miss some lore references.

If you are interested in lore, you should play the original Guild Wars, and then read the books.
Otherwise don't worry. You'll just enjoy Guild Wars 2 a bit less.

There's still time time to play Guild Wars 1, even during Guild Wars 2, since they'll coexist for a while.
You'll probably be able to get 30/50 points in the hall of monuments before Guild Wars 2 finally launches, and even if GW2 launches, you can still play both games.

The gameplay is different enough to enjoy both.

It's not like playing CS1.6 and CS:Source or Diablo and Diablo II, which are have basically the same rules with just differences in how it plays. The differences are greater.

Last edited by MithranArkanere: 04-20-2012 at 10:28 PM.
MithranArkanere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
kylie

I definitely recommend joining a guild that will help you out since a lot of the GW1 outposts are less occupied now and finding groups for quests or missions can sometimes be hard. You can also just acquire heroes to run through the whole game with, but that's just not as much fun
kylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
Ghost Dog

Much slower with heroes as well.
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Guild Wars