Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
shamoke

To the people that hate the buy menu interface, what's wrong with it?

I'd argue that a radial interface is much quicker to use for mouse navigation than a top down interface used in 1.6/css.

If you're a competitive player that prefers only using the keyboard, you'd probably memorize which number maps to which weapon/equip. You wouldn't even be looking at the buy menu when you quickly press some number combination to purchase your equipment so the visual interface is almost irrelevant.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
MutantMonkey

I think that at the end of the day it is a non-issue as those concerned will either have key binds for their kits or still use numbers to make their selections quickly.

For the habitual mouse user, the radial menu does seem more friendly.

I prefer keybinds regardless of the menu as I generally use the same kits.

That all said, I believe a dev commented months ago that there will be an option for the old method and that they were forcing this current one for testing purposes.
MutantMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
sunjo

I don't hate the radial menu. I don't really enjoy it either. What I DO enjoy is having the OPTION to choose to use multiple different menus.

I'm glad MutantMoney mentioned that they are planning to add this option because I would be very upset if I was forced to use this radial menu when 1.6 had the option to use either the graphical buy menus (the one with the pictures, text, etc.) or the plain white text "old-fashioned" buy menu.
sunjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Cpt.Hardhat

The thing I struggled with was the different pieces of equipment changing slots so the old key-strings for buying things like armor suddenly resulted in grenades being bought.
Cpt.Hardhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
fragba1t

I like it, it's quick and easy to use and see what's what.

Honestly, the impression I get from these forums is 90% of the people that post here just complain and won't be happy until GO is just like 1.6. Even then I bet they won't play it. Sigh.
fragba1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Alexc26

I think the menu is fine, not that quick to use I think compared to CSS etc but I'm sure over time (and for competitive players as already mentioned) people will just remember the key bindings anyway, it looks more appealing than the menus in previous CS games.
Alexc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Shinbusho

It was made with consoles in mind. That's what people will think immediately. Refer to Counter-Strike on XBOX. http://image.com.com/gamespot/images..._screen004.jpg
Shinbusho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
shamoke

It's made w/ consoles in mind but after using it a little bit, I actually prefer it over the old top-down menu. Console or not, it's a lot less mouse navigation and precision required so you can buy quickly w/ the mouse too.
shamoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Ninja1337

i like it but there should be an option to enable the old buymenu. then everybody is happy.
Ninja1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
ds-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinbusho View Post
It was made with consoles in mind. That's what people will think immediately. Refer to Counter-Strike on XBOX. [IMG]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/xbox/counterstrike/1117/count_screen004.jpg[/IM]
Doesn't really matter who they had in mind when they made it if it works better than the old menu.

Anyways, if you want to buy things quick just use buy binds.
ds- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
velociti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja1337 View Post
i like it but there should be an option to enable the old buymenu. then everybody is happy.
was gunna post in here to say this.
agreed.
(prety simple to make an old menu, its only text gui
velociti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
laazrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinbusho View Post
It was made with consoles in mind. That's what people will think immediately. Refer to Counter-Strike on XBOX. http://image.com.com/gamespot/images..._screen004.jpg
The radial menu works great with the mouse, and it still has keybinds. There is nothing wrong with it... Just because the design also works well on consoles does not make it a bad thing.

People stuck in there ways are just jaratey that the keybinds aren't identical to the old menu. They'd rather about that then get used to the new one.
laazrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
dbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoke View Post
I'd argue that a radial interface is much quicker to use for mouse navigation than a top down interface used in 1.6/css.

If you're a competitive player that prefers only using the keyboard, you'd probably memorize which number maps to which weapon/equip. You wouldn't even be looking at the buy menu when you quickly press some number combination to purchase your equipment so the visual interface is almost irrelevant.
I dont care if it is a circle or a triangle, the thing is that we don't need the buy menu to cover the entire screen. the current buy menu was made for console players, we PC gamers don't need it, a simple translucent list would be more than enough for us.

keyboard users don't need to look at the buy menu, it is annoying and completely useless.

Last edited by dbie: 04-17-2012 at 02:01 PM.
dbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
fragba1t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbie View Post

keyboard users don't need to look at the buy menu, it is annoying and completely useless.
Useless? How? And what does it matter if it covers the screen, you're not being shot at by that point. People just love to complain about every little thing.
fragba1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
venom :: zid

Banned
Chet Faliszek had already referenced this issue and said it would be changed. The reason the buy menu is in its current form is because this game is being developed as cross-platform. He also stated that features for the console have to be implemented first as they require approval and certification before the PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l_rEMZQDu4&t=2m53s

It's going to be changed.
venom :: zid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive