Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Old 04-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
hahahafr

Dishonored, Viktor Antonov, Valve, Half-Life 2

If you haven't done it yet, watch the Dishonored trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1HlYTukh9A.

It appears that the steampunk world of Dishonored has been imagined by Viktor Antonov, the former Artistic Director of nothing less than Half-Life 2.

I loved Half-Life 2 for many things, but the particular atmosphere it inspires the player definitely was one of the key to its success.

Whatever happens with Ep3 or HL3 will be anything but bad. I still wonder if this man, now gone from Valve, will be the missing link to making a new masterpiece.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Gloone

Banned
Yes, I think Antonov was central to HL2. It's hard to imagine that the art style that the team were using prior to his involvement would have been very good (a kind of clichéd dark New York). I absolutely love what he created, City 17 and Combine aesthetics are an amazing artistic achievement.

There are definitely similar motifs in that trailer. The vehicle design is of course the most outstanding, and the stalker, but the general atmosphere of the streets, although it's darker and steampunk rather than autumnal scifi, still carries his signature.
Gloone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Dunnerski

So. Anyone else think this will outdo assassins creed in every way if it looks anything like its trailer?
Dunnerski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
En Ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnerski View Post
So. Anyone else think this will outdo assassins creed in every way if it looks anything like its trailer?
Reminds me more of DX:HR, since, based on what I've read/heard, you can go through the game without killing anyone.
En Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Mooostache

Seeing that nighttime dystopian atmosphere made me realise how we never saw the City 17 environment at nighttime, if you don't count the crappy resolution citadel skyboxes.
Mooostache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Leushenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by En Ex View Post
you can go through the game without killing anyone.
While I normally like to play pacifist... this game looks like doing that would be seriously missing the point.

Glad to see Bethesda sticking to their traditions, anyway. You know it's a good game if the main character starts out in prison.
Leushenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leushenko View Post
You know it's a good game if the main character starts out in prison.
LOL, so true so true!
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
freeman4all

Thats the first time I got to see this trailer, and I gota say Dishonored looks sick and "Revenge solves nothing" but it sure makes you feel good. I've been waiting for any news on Half Life 3/ep.3 but games like this comin out will make the wait a little easier.
freeman4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #9
Battlecruiser

It definitely looks interesting, I admit. The "european industiral city" theme certainly can be felt. The mechanical devices are tad outlandish for my taste, but once we get more details about the world and the game i'm sure I will come around to it.
Battlecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #10
Kild

Half Life 2 took place in a city, so we can understand Viktor Antonov is good at making cities. I don't think that EP3 will take place in a city...
But still... You can count on Valve to find the best people for the best game... We can 100% trust on them.
Kild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
Lilgreenman

Quote:
You know it's a good game if the main character starts out in a tram on the way to work.
Fixed. OT, it looks fantastic, but I'm not judging till I see some gameplay.
Lilgreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
En Ex

Quote:
Glad to see Bethesda sticking to their traditions, anyway. You know it's a good game if the main character starts out in prison.
Corvo will be able to regain health from eating sweetrolls.
En Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
maturin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloone View Post
Yes, I think Antonov was central to HL2. It's hard to imagine that the art style that the team were using prior to his involvement would have been very good (a kind of clichéd dark New York). I absolutely love what he created, City 17 and Combine aesthetics are an amazing artistic achievement.
AFAIK, Viktor was involved with the 'cliched dark New York' as well. He did a lot of work on it, although maybe it wasn't his concept.

Anyhow, I think we already felt his loss with Episode Two. White Forest is nice, but it already feels like Washington State.
maturin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
DirectVic

Viktor had been with Valve since at least 1999 - in fact, he's the one who actually came up with the idea of setting HL2 in an Eastern European city. Before that, the best the team could come up with was having Gordon jump across different borderworlds, hunting down the remnants of the Xenian army.

Still, he was definitely involved in even the earliest designs featuring City 17 as more of a bland dystopian mess, where American architecture was used as a sort of placeholder.
DirectVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
Sajuukkhar

why do people say dishonored is steampunk when it is clearly not?

Also why do I feel like this is going to turn into another New Vegas were 95% of people somehow miss that Bethesda isn't making the game yet credit them for doing so?

Last edited by Sajuukkhar: 04-19-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Sajuukkhar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two