Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stellar Impact

Old 04-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
evilC

[Fix in progress] "Moonwalking" disconnection issue

[This post has been changed to reflect the state of this issue]

Identifying if you have the same issue:
Watch this YouTube video.

Notice how ships keep moving on the same course and but turning on the spot - resulting in ships "Moonwalking" backwards etc.

You can wait forever and it never comes back.

If you quit and accept the rejoin message, the match resumes normally but the problem can happen multiple times in a match.

If you observe your open connections using an application such as TCPView, the client keeps on sending packets, but incoming packets from the server stop.
This observation is borne out by the fact that it appears you are able to issue commands, you just do not see the results. (So if you get this issue, hit S twice to stop yourself before rejoining !)

I have spoken to devs and they have acknowledged the issue and seem willing to help, however the required programmer is on holiday until 2nd may so hopefully we will see some movement shortly after that.

If you have the issue, pls post your ingame name on this thread.
Contact with devs for me was via ingame chat, so if you do post your name, keep an eye on your chat box ingame once weds comes

This issue is completely unrelated to steam, so if you use a standalone copy, your experiences are relevant.

Last edited by evilC: 04-30-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
evilC

Bump - seriously, this is getting ridiculous, can I get some help here?
Is no-one answering support emails at the weekend?
evilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
WarnarI

a lot of tis is do to having too many things open to the itnernet. Turn off the browsers and any other progam streamign form the web or downloading. Also turn off ssao, helps reduce lagg.

Another thing to consider that the servers are in fance so thers a bit of lagg already if you in north america or australia.
WarnarI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
evilC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnarI View Post
a lot of tis is do to having too many things open to the itnernet. Turn off the browsers and any other progam streamign form the web or downloading. Also turn off ssao, helps reduce lagg.

Another thing to consider that the servers are in fance so thers a bit of lagg already if you in north america or australia.
So if I see no lag effects, but I do get this disconnection issue, it can be to due to dropped packets caused by saturation of my pipe? I think not, sir!

As an update, I now have TCPView and cygwin installed.
I see from TCPView that the lobby is at main0.tindalos-interactive.com, and game servers seem to be on a separate subnet - 37.59.215.128/26 (37.59.215.128-191)

Unfortunately, ICMP appears disabled for the game server subnet, so I cannot keep a ping -t going to check if there is any packet loss.

However, if I start a match, which sets up a server in the aforementioned subnet, TCPView shows me the connection info.
If I then telnet to the IP and port of the match server, I see the old matrix-style binary data coming through, which appears to be a valid test of connectivity. If I quit the match, the data stream stops. If I then try to reconnect to the same IP and port, it refuses the connection.

When I play today, if I get disconnected, I will keep an eye on TCPView, and if it thinks the connection is still up I will try the telnet test and see if it refuses the connection - my guess is that it will until the lobby server tells it to re-initiate the connection again.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
WarnarI

getting dropped from the server happens even to the best of them. Quite a few times I have been dropped from swtor for no reason at all. Its just how some games are with servers. And yes I do get the moonwalking disconnect from time to time but its rare. I reduece the chance by taking percosions of turning off any thing connected to the web and ssao in the video options.
WarnarI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
finalgenesis

moonwalk is pretty uncommon for me, aside from short spikes now and then I get a bad one about once in every 3 games.

Though that is inherently different then your problem, which is server disconnect. That's happened to me about 1 in 5 games (which is decent)? Usually I can reconnect, thankfully it doesn't rapid fire disconnect more then 3 times at most at a time unlike in your case.

It does sound like some wonky server communication protocol going on rather then a connection speed issue. Considering that you're one of the only ones having this I would guess a client side problem more, like firewall setting or server communication setting, or corrupted communication protocol as examples...etc, someone who actually knows what they're talking about can probably tell you more.

I am finding pretty common game crash recently though, about one in 3 games for the past 3 days will crash and kick everyone out (cannot rejoin, game ppls all show up in general chat cursing server). When it happens to games 40 minutes in.... Grrrr
finalgenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Nryrony

My client seem's to develop a framerate issue. Played a while today and game started studdering after a while, not entierly fps wise but possibly lag, too. However it was playable...

Yet then I played a 6 on 6 match (never realy done one...) and the frames where jumping constantly between 45 and 8, yet it was unplayable. I also experienced what you call rubberbanding, usually a lag indicator. Yet I know for shure that the line was free.

So I'm just guessing wild here, does someone know howmuch upload speed per player the game requires? Since it became unplayable at 6vs6 and I had lag symtomes it migth be related to my very limited upload speed (~ 12KB/S).

However I have no idear why I experienced low frames after a while in 2on2. May be it's a new problem with the patch or it doesn't like my crossfire. I'll try to figure it out...
Nryrony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
crisaron

One of my friend as the same issue but is computa is very old.
crisaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
evilC

Will people PLEASE stop posting on my thread with totally unrelated issues and/or "advice" such as not having downloads going?

UNLESS YOU HAVE TO HIT QUIT AND REJOIN A GAME TO BE ABLE TO CONTROL YOUR SHIP AGAIN AND FIRE WEAPONS ETC, THEN STOP CLUTTERING MY THREAD WITH RANDOM ISSUES!

This is NOTHING to do with framerate, everybody losing connection or your cat getting stuck up a tree!

Getting kind of annoyed with Tindalos too now, 5 days waiting for a reply to my email is way too long. Even if the reply is just to say that it is a known issue and is being worked upon, some kind of reply would be appreciated.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
Panimu

Have you had this issue in the off peak periods? (200-300 users online)
Panimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
evilC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panimu View Post
Have you had this issue in the off peak periods? (200-300 users online)
I cannot be cut and dry, but yes it does seem happen more when there are greater than 300 users online.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
evilC

Oh and yesterday, when it happened once I was able to telnet to the IP and port of the match server and it let me connect. So it is not the server refusing the connection, but quite possibly is the server "forgetting" about mine.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
evilC

Lame, I got a reply from Tindalos saying they had fixed it (They have not, I just had it happen again) and asking me for crash logs when nowhere did I say it crashed.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
Panimu

I've only had this once, last night at peak usage times (520 people). So I assume it's a contention issue combined with a poor route from me to them. My team didn't report lag (before moonwalking there was intense spinny-lag). despite me moaning about it on TS.

By crash logs I assume he just means "the log". There's only one and it is written to during the game not just at a crash event. Be aware it's cleaned out each time you start the client.
Panimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
evilC

Here is a video demonstrating the issue.
Unfortunately I cannot show that it fixes when I quit and rejoin because when you go from game to menu with FRAPS recording, it crashes the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FKEfCd34UY

So, to recap, the video shows what happens.
When it does, I cannot change course,fire or change target.
If I wait, it will not fix after a while.
The instant I quit and say yes to the "Do you want to rejoin" message it loads straight away and sorts the problem out (until it happens 5 minutes later of course).

Last edited by evilC: 04-25-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stellar Impact