Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Confrontation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
ZanyCynic
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 263
Posts: 1,185
Thumbs down 5 machine activation limit ?

Just so you know:

3rd-party DRM: ACT Control
5 machine activation limit

When will they learn ?
If I buy on steam, I do NOT want other software rooting my system.
NONE.
ZanyCynic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
ManicK
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Reputation: 6
Posts: 61
mkay thanks for info

dont buy this pile of nonsense.
ManicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
Falk
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 78
Posts: 657
Never ceases to amuse how hilariously inflated an image some developers have of themselves to price games at >$20 and put ~ZOMG ANTI PIRACY DRM~ on it as if their is worth pirating in the first place.

Especially considering the track record
Falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
ZanyCynic
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 263
Posts: 1,185
You know, I bought many games a 2nd time, just to have them on steam, and I do not play BF3 and Mass Effect 3 because they are not on steam.
But I always think 20 times and at least 1/2 a year before I buy something with DRM. And I think I am not alone with this.
I don't want a 2nd game starter client and I don't want lots of anti piracy root kits killing my machine and spying on a machine where I do banking.

It is not funny, and it is not ok to force people to have more than one DRM per game.

So... no buy for this game. I hope I get many people to not buy too.
ZanyCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Borks
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Reputation: 8
Posts: 168
Actualy i have just looked at their official forum:

Concerning the 5 activations, what I can say is :
- when you uninstall the game, you get back an activation,
- even if you install the game 5 times, with time, you get back a new activation. So, except if you try to install the game 5 times per month, I don't think that you will be blocked to install Confrontation

Last edited by Borks: 04-27-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Official forum
Borks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
ZanyCynic
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 263
Posts: 1,185
There is just no reason for another tool on my computer which does magic things and perhaps installs drivers and whatever.
I have steam. I buy the game. Then what ? You think I will crack my game and give it away ? Or what is the reasoning of these brain dead people ?
ZanyCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
Corrodias
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Reputation: 7
Posts: 263
Wow, adding extra DRM on top of steam. This must be a big release by one of the top 5 publishers who are paranoid about piracy. ... Oh, nope, it's a generic publisher peddling a game by a developer who has had one decent game and a bunch of... others. And according to the reviews, this one is terrible, too!

Really? Really, "Focus Home Interactive"? You think you're one of the big boys? You think we'll put up with that crap to eagerly play your next thing?

No. No way.

No disrespect intended for any people who worked hard on this game, despite it not turning out all that great, but hopefully even you can understand how it's not good enough to make putting up with that bull DRM worth it.
Corrodias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #8
ZanyCynic
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 263
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrodias View Post
No disrespect intended
I like it, how you use lots of polite words to crash them.

But try next time to preview your message and rephrase it until you have no hearts (curse replacements) in your message.
It is much cooler that way
ZanyCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Goteki-45
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Reputation: 411
Posts: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borks View Post
Actualy i have just looked at their official forum:

Concerning the 5 activations, what I can say is :
- when you uninstall the game, you get back an activation,
- even if you install the game 5 times, with time, you get back a new activation. So, except if you try to install the game 5 times per month, I don't think that you will be blocked to install Confrontation
I realize this is a necro post, but this is only in a perfect world. When I first built my current computer, the HD controller on the motherboard was faulty, and without warning it would corrupt the file system and require a reformat and reinstallation of Windows. That doesn't give you an activation back. I had to reformat a total of six times by the time I had replaced my motherboard, which was enough to lock out activation limit software.

I realize that that's not a typical case, but I do not support anything with activation limits or any form of DRM that treats consumers worse than pirates because of it.
Goteki-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
HellAvenger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 49
Posts: 747
ANOTHER DRM? ANOTHER? HOW MANY DRMS ARE OUT THERE? Steam is already a DRM. if you are releasing on steam, stop using 3rd party DRM. ESPECIALLY 5 ACTIVATION LIMIT FOR STEAM? I think I am going to burst some baby's balloons. outrageous
HellAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
abortabortabort
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Reputation: 36
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanyCynic View Post
You know, I bought many games a 2nd time, just to have them on steam, and I do not play BF3 and Mass Effect 3 because they are not on steam.
But I always think 20 times and at least 1/2 a year before I buy something with DRM. And I think I am not alone with this.
I don't want a 2nd game starter client and I don't want lots of anti piracy root kits killing my machine and spying on a machine where I do banking.

It is not funny, and it is not ok to force people to have more than one DRM per game.

So... no buy for this game. I hope I get many people to not buy too.
You got me not to buy it. Thank you.

I do not like developers treating customers like pirates. The only people without the activation limit will be the pirates. The more I think about DRM, the more I realize how utterly useless it all is in preventing piracy, unless you have to get a unique key from their server that will unlock a numeric lock based on your system specs. Though after you can install it, it can be cracked.
abortabortabort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
darks
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrodias View Post
Wow, adding extra DRM on top of steam. This must be a big release by one of the top 5 publishers who are paranoid about piracy. ... Oh, nope, it's a generic publisher peddling a game by a developer who has had one decent game and a bunch of... others. And according to the reviews, this one is terrible, too!

Really? Really, "Focus Home Interactive"? You think you're one of the big boys? You think we'll put up with that crap to eagerly play your next thing?

No. No way.

No disrespect intended for any people who worked hard on this game, despite it not turning out all that great, but hopefully even you can understand how it's not good enough to make putting up with that bull DRM worth it.
The funny thing is, they can be as paranoid as they want. it Certainly did not stop this game from getting cracked and pirated. Yes it took a few weeks longer. But mainly that was because the game is a pile of dog crap. Secondly, itís on sale already at half off, thatís because the game is failing to sell. They are trying to entice people to buy the game, but no one in their right mind is going to buy this crappy game with its limitations and the Star Force DRM they are also installing on your pc. Sorry, but thatís where I draw the line and raise the BS flag. I will never, ever support a company that treats their customers with blatant disregard.
darks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
darks
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by abortabortabort View Post
You got me not to buy it. Thank you.

I do not like developers treating customers like pirates. The only people without the activation limit will be the pirates. The more I think about DRM, the more I realize how utterly useless it all is in preventing piracy, unless you have to get a unique key from their server that will unlock a numeric lock based on your system specs. Though after you can install it, it can be cracked.
Dude, it’s like telling your kid to not eat a cookie out of the cookie jar, you keep on telling them but they do it anyway. We as customers are screaming at publisher/developers to stop treating us like a bunch of pirates, but they don’t listen, they just keep on treating us as such. I have to attribute this to human stupidity, I just can’t think of any other way of putting it.
darks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
HellAvenger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 49
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by darks View Post
Dude, itís like telling your kid to not eat a cookie out of the cookie jar, you keep on telling them but they do it anyway. We as customers are screaming at publisher/developers to stop treating us like a bunch of pirates, but they donít listen, they just keep on treating us as such. I have to attribute this to human stupidity, I just canít think of any other way of putting it.
they actually think they find a way to prevent pirating. LOl

BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME! If it is made by human, it can be cracked.
HellAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
DeadlyFred
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 134
Posts: 1,206
Most of the activation-limit based DRMs don't actually install anything on your system anymore (thanks to consumer outrage) they simply poll your system specs to create a fingerprint and verify that along with your serial on their servers. I don't know about this ACT DRM but that's the system Securom now uses, at least.
DeadlyFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Confrontation


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.