Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series

Old 04-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
FreemanForPrez

ME 1 - Attack of the Blue Boxes

I just started playing Mass Effect (1) last night - PC version.

I'm seeing a whole lot of these blue boxes around the game. Some sort of graphic error, obviously, but not missing textures. Sometimes they come and go, kind of flash in and out of existence. And sometimes they're just there looking for all intents and purposes like they're a part of the game.

Anyone else seeing this and is there any fix?

Mass Effect with latest patch - I guess 1.02 - via Origin.

nVidia GTX 285
Intel Q9550 quad @ 2.83 ghz
plenty o' RAM, blah blah blah
Windows 7 x64

Thanks.

EDIT:
I figured out what these blue boxes are for, I think. They seem to be place holders for the game engine's use for chairs and other furniture, possibly for the sake of physics calculations. Obviously they should be invisible and not rendered.

I don't have the latest graphics driver, BTW. However it's the last driver that nVidia made that works with the GTX 285 and allows me to also use the Nvidia Control Panel. (dev driver 3.2 - 263.06) All other drivers more recent screw up the NCP, which I use a lot.
So if installing a newer driver is the only option, I'm just gonna put up with the blue boxes.

Last edited by FreemanForPrez: 04-21-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
dxmc

I have a 2 1/2 year old system with slightly lower specs and I've never had a problem with that game, but I have an ATI card, Mobility Radeon HD 4650. It performs very well even on a laptop so I think you are right about your problem with Nvidia drivers.Someone over in the Hardware sub-forum might be able to suggest a good tweak.

It's worth sticking it out, even with a few graphics problems. ME is a classic, great replayability, although if you really like ME you probably won't like ME2 as much and vice versa, and I guess you have already heard about ME3.
dxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
Animositisomina

Can you post a screenshot of this? It actually sounds familiar but I'm not sure if it's the same thing I'm remembering.
Animositisomina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Animositisomina

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreemanForPrez View Post
I don't have the latest graphics driver, BTW.
^^^ This is most likely the cause of your problem. Does it look like the screenshots in this thread?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1677157

If so, you do need to update your video drivers. And if the latest ones are "screwing up" the Control Panel, you're not installing them properly -- or perhaps not uninstalling the old ones cleanly first. I'm using v301.24 right now and have no issues with the NCP. In fact, there are several new features that can only be accessed with the latest drivers. Such as built-in framelimiting, adaptive vsync, etc. Definitely worth upgrading for. And older drivers are always going to be worse for the games you play; another good reason to upgrade them.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animositisomina View Post
^^^ This is most likely the cause of your problem. Does it look like the screenshots in this thread?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1677157

If so, you do need to update your video drivers. And if the latest ones are "screwing up" the Control Panel, you're not installing them properly -- or perhaps not uninstalling the old ones cleanly first. I'm using v301.24 right now and have no issues with the NCP. In fact, there are several new features that can only be accessed with the latest drivers. Such as built-in framelimiting, adaptive vsync, etc. Definitely worth upgrading for. And older drivers are always going to be worse for the games you play; another good reason to upgrade them.
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing alright.

Man, you have no idea how much time and effort I've put into trying various updated drivers in the past. Clean uninstalls, yes, many many times, with many different versions.
It's not common at all, but I've run into to a few other people with the same problem - the NCP doesn't ever load fully after updating. I've tried to find a common link but have failed. Neither nVidia nor EVGA support could give me any answers.

However, this driver I'm using is far more recent than the most recent update to ME, so updating my driver shouldn't even matter. After all, the driver version that was new at the time of the last ME update is several versions older than what I'm using.

EDIT:
I suppose I could always downgrade and see if that works, but I have exactly zero graphics problems in any of my games other than ME 1.

Last edited by FreemanForPrez: 04-22-2012 at 10:05 AM.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Nomad Trooper

Blue boxes? Be afraid, be very afraid.

(A Blue box is an AI core in the ME universe)
Nomad Trooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Trooper View Post
Blue boxes? Be afraid, be very afraid.

(A Blue box is an AI core in the ME universe)
LOL.

Well I'm not that far into the game yet, have only been playing for about two hours so far.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Animositisomina

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreemanForPrez View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing alright.

Man, you have no idea how much time and effort I've put into trying various updated drivers in the past. Clean uninstalls, yes, many many times, with many different versions.
It's not common at all, but I've run into to a few other people with the same problem - the NCP doesn't ever load fully after updating. I've tried to find a common link but have failed. Neither nVidia nor EVGA support could give me any answers.

However, this driver I'm using is far more recent than the most recent update to ME, so updating my driver shouldn't even matter. After all, the driver version that was new at the time of the last ME update is several versions older than what I'm using.

EDIT:
I suppose I could always downgrade and see if that works, but I have exactly zero graphics problems in any of my games other than ME 1.
With my old card, a GeForce 9600, I actually had the problem you're describing. I'd uninstall the current drivers, then install new ones, and the NCP would either be non-existent, or just not load. The icon was there but did nothing when clicked. I eventually fixed it by installing the drivers that came with my video card and then installing the latest drivers after that. Not the smartest way to go about it, but it worked. This was several years ago though. Since then I've moved on to a GTX 460. Haven't experienced that problem since then when upgrading drivers.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animositisomina View Post
With my old card, a GeForce 9600, I actually had the problem you're describing. I'd uninstall the current drivers, then install new ones, and the NCP would either be non-existent, or just not load. The icon was there but did nothing when clicked. I eventually fixed it by installing the drivers that came with my video card and then installing the latest drivers after that. Not the smartest way to go about it, but it worked. This was several years ago though. Since then I've moved on to a GTX 460. Haven't experienced that problem since then when upgrading drivers.
Well there's one thing I never tried.

I'm going to be upgrading my video card soon anyway. My GTX 285 is still going strong and plays all my games just fine, but it's 3 years old now, after all, so it's getting to be about time.

EDIT:
Thanks for trying to help though.

Last edited by FreemanForPrez: 04-22-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series