Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Ys Series

Old 04-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Hyakitaki

Corpse Party

I just started playing Corpse Party, which I downloaded onto my Ps Vita.... Gotta say I was liking it until Satoshi's sister Yuka came into the picture to give you an umbrella so you wouldn't get wet on the walk home.

I knew what kind of game this was going in, and I've gotta say this goes beyond twisted...

Seriously I'm a seasoned veteran of just about every horror game ever made, but this.... this is like, I don't think words can describe what this is like. I guess I could compare it to "Grave of the Fireflies", but that had a strong anti-war message illustrating the destruction of humanity not only on the battlefield but off.

This game is just for entertainment, and I've gotta say you have me hooked. I'm looking forward to progressing, and I'm kind of disgusted with myself to even say that. This might just be one of the first horror games in a long time that actually effects me emotionally.

On a side note I played Amnesia the dark descent in the dark with headphones consistently beyond midnight, and that game SUCKED. The horror was predictable, I didn't care much for the main character, and the only thing that kept me going was hoping that the ending to the story would be cool. Spoiler the ending of the story was an idiotic Deus Ex Machina cop out. What a waste of time that game is...

What a tangent that was also, anyhow I can already tell corpse party is much better than that garbage. Keep releasing games XSeed there are very few that I haven't liked.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
Wyrdwad

XSEED
Yaaay! I'm glad to see Corpse Party getting mentioned even here. That was sort of my pet project at XSEED -- I introduced it to the company, lobbied for us to release it here, and served as its sole translator. To date, it's my favorite script I've worked on, and it's definitely one of my favorite horror titles of all time. It does get pretty disturbing, but the characters are so well-developed and the setting so interesting that you can't help but go on playing, just to see what happens next (and who, if anyone, manages to survive in the end!).

The game has a sequel in Japan (and another sequel on the way, albeit a... bit of an oddity, since the developers have branded it a "romantic comedy"!), and I'm very much hoping I get a chance to work on it sometime in the future.

-Tom
Wyrdwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
lmc2002

Corpse Part is my most played game on the Vita, no joke lol. I realy wish there was a hard copy released in the west (even if it was USA exclusive... I have imported some XSEED stuff to the UK in the past :P)

It would definantly be great to see you work on the sequel too! Day one purchase for me XD Especialy if there was a limited hard coy available. (pleasepleasepleaseXP)
lmc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
shmyazoo

There are a lot of people talking about this Corpse Party game, is it really that good? I'll check some videos to see what's it about.
shmyazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Wyrdwad

XSEED
Bear in mind that videos don't quite do it justice. The game is all about its story and the effect it has on you as a player, through use of directional 3D sound and detailed horror and gore that's more described and heard than it is seen, leaving it up to your imagination to fill in a lot of the blanks.

It's a rather insidious game that way.

-Tom
Old 04-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Hyakitaki

I like the trailer, no way I would ever watch gameplay as it would just ruin the experience for later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkeahnIzvg
Hyakitaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
shmyazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyakitaki View Post
I like the trailer, no way I would ever watch gameplay as it would just ruin the experience for later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkeahnIzvg

Damn, I'll have to know what happened to the 4th person... I'll have to get this game, how much is it?
shmyazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Wyrdwad

XSEED
$19.99 on PSN in North America and... 14.99 euro, was it? 17.99, maybe? I forget the exact euro price, but it's been adjusted to match the North American price.

And yay! That's the trailer I made!

This was our second trailer, BTW, if you want some idea of what the gameplay looks like (without any story spoilers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIVd_n3Pg3s

Second trailer was made by our intern-come-production-assistant Brittany, and is also really, really good.

-Tom

Last edited by Wyrdwad: 04-22-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Hyakitaki

You know why I think you are amazing Tom? Because you aren't just out there to sell games, you are passionate about what you are doing and want to deliver a great experience to gamers. You make that very evident by being such a large part of the community on the forums and things.

You sir are delivering amazing experiences and making a difference in so many gamers lives, keep up the good work man. You and all of XSeed.

If XSeed ever goes out of business I'm gonna slit my wrists.

Last edited by Hyakitaki: 04-22-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
MisterFister85

Kinda strange that I was looking up Corpse Party then I found an interest in Ys but couldn't decide between a PSN version or PC and came across this. I didn't even realize they were published by the same company.

I really wanna play corpse party but at 20 dollars I am having a hard time biting. It looks damn interesting but Ys is 15 and to me looks more replayable. If it was 15 or 10 I would jump right on it. It really does look great but damn it's hard to tell how well it would sit with me from the gameplay videos.
MisterFister85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Hyakitaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFister85 View Post
Kinda strange that I was looking up Corpse Party then I found an interest in Ys but couldn't decide between a PSN version or PC and came across this. I didn't even realize they were published by the same company.

I really wanna play corpse party but at 20 dollars I am having a hard time biting. It looks damn interesting but Ys is 15 and to me looks more replayable. If it was 15 or 10 I would jump right on it. It really does look great but damn it's hard to tell how well it would sit with me from the gameplay videos.
Just start with one and then once you are out of games to play get the other. Gaming is cool like that you can focus on one game at a time.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Wyrdwad

XSEED
Honestly, you shouldn't really be looking at Corpse Party from a gameplay perspective at all, as it's... barely a game, when it comes right down to it! It kind of sits somewhere between a point-and-click adventure title and a straight-up Japanese-style visual novel. You do move around and interact with things, but that's literally ALL you do. The rest is just story. And story (along with atmosphere and mystery) is really the primary reason for anyone to play Corpse Party. If you're looking for a good horror story that really freaks you out, immerses you in a very uncomfortable setting and turns your mind toward the dark sides of human imagination, Corpse Party delivers. It's become one of my favorite horror games of all time for a reason, and that reason... is not gameplay.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana, on the other hand, is kind of the opposite. Felghana is PURE GAMEPLAY. There's a story, and it's a fairly well-developed one... but it's not something that's going to stick with you or challenge your imagination. It's basically a story that was written for a side-scroller in 1989, adapted and slightly expanded when the game was remade in 2005. It's detailed and charming, but extremely simplistic, and isn't really the reason I'd recommend the game to anyone. No, that honor definitely goes to the gameplay -- fast, frenetic and perfectly balanced, Felghana is a gamer's game, through and through. It's fun and exciting, and leaves you wanting more.

Both games have great soundtracks (Felghana's is more rock-heavy, whereas Corpse Party is more moody), and arguably both games have great graphics (Corpse Party's are intentionally old-school and use that to their advantage, whereas Felghana's are simple but surprisingly detailed and extremely charming), so it really comes down to story vs. gameplay. If you like horror and want a great story, go for Corpse Party. It'll be worth the $20. If you like action and want something that'll leave you on the edge of your seat not because you care about what happens next, but because you're REALLY CLOSE TO GETTING KILLED BY HORDES OF MONSTERS... go for Felghana.

They both rank among my favorite games of all time, so I really don't think you can go wrong with either one of them.

And Hyaki: I wanted to comment on your kind words, but I honestly don't know what to say. So I guess I'll just go with... thanks! We'll do our best to keep on delivering awesome games to you guys in the future!

-Tom

Last edited by Wyrdwad: 04-22-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
TheDarkChaplain

Just so much:
Bought it, played it, got scared, loved it, played it some more, would buy it again. Fantastic game, I started praying for a localization of the sequel(s) before I even reached the end (well, the real end, at least)

I also second Hyaki's words, though. Such dedication shall never suffer!
TheDarkChaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
Kuraudo

This game sounds interesting; is this a Vita-only thing though? That's too bad.
Kuraudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Wyrdwad

XSEED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuraudo View Post
This game sounds interesting; is this a Vita-only thing though? That's too bad.
No, it's a PSP game that's Vita-compatible. So if you own either of Sony's handhelds, you can download it from PSN and play it.

-Tom

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Ys Series