Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 04-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
TJX

GTA IV and Episodes from Liberty City are two different downloads??

So I just bought GTA IV Complete edition and i find that both the "base" GTA IV game and the Episodes DLC are around 15GB each to download. Am I actually downloading the entire GTA IV map twice?? Is this because 'Episodes' is a stand alone DLC or something? They also both have their own shortcuts. I'm just afraid what this is going to do with my internet download usage and the bill i will recieve for going over my limit!
Old 04-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
raupi

As i have a retail version of GTA IV outside of Steam i can only tell you this: My entire game folder is 15,0GB big, including The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony.

I can only guess, but both shortcuts will likely take you to the same startup screen that i get and were i can choose the basic game or the episodes.

Maybe you're lucky and someone with this game in his steam library answers to clear this up.
raupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
HubCAp_

Yes they are separate installs so you will download around 30gb if you want to have IV and EFLC installed at the same time. You also have to launch them separately in your steam games list. The ingame menu where you can pick GTA IV or EFLC is for the windows live download version only.
HubCAp_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Deadly_Target

If you're worried about going over your limit, there is a way to avoid downloading around 9GB. I've never tried it myself, so I'm not completely sure it works, but it is worth a try.
  • Let both games download for a few minutes
  • Pause Episodes From Liberty City's download
  • Wait for Grand Theft Auto IV to fully download
  • Launch Grand Theft Auto IV just to make sure everything is working correctly then exit the game and steam
  • Go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV
  • Copy your pc and common folder
  • Go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto episodes from liberty city\EFLC
  • Paste the folders into there and let it overwrite everything
  • When it is done copying, open up steam and verify Episodes From Liberty City's files.
When it's finished verifying, it should begin downloading around 6GB of new files and then everything should be working fine.

Last edited by Deadly_Target: 09-01-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Deadly_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
seb26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly_Target View Post
If you're worried about going over your limit, there is a way to avoid downloading around 9GB. I've never tried it myself, so I'm not completely sure it works, but it is worth a try.
I tried out this method, no dice. GTA EFLC downloads to steamapps/downloading/12220. I tried copying the GTA4 common and pc folders to this directory. Verifying the game lasts 2 seconds before it says 100% complete - then it continues to download 15GB.

The 'grand theft auto episodes from liberty city' folder didn't exist yet, however. I replicated the directory structure, verified the game and whatnot, and still nothing. I guess I'll just have to wait out the 15GB then :<
seb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
TheVentilator

Seperate installs? Thats insane as GTA 4 download already have the DLC included, but DLC is inactive if you havent activated the key for DLC.

It only takes 90 min to download the 16.GB, then i will install DLC.
I will then see if they are actually separate or not.

Other Steam games also is like this, but when you download the last 5.GB..its suddenly only like 100.MB..just as an example.

Last edited by TheVentilator: 07-17-2012 at 04:49 PM.
TheVentilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Leweegibo

Yeah its harsh, i have super slow net, gonna take me over a day to get both.

...me n my mates just got them to muck around in multiplayer with, do we need both? or just GTA IV for starters, is there any content thru episodes thats multi or what?
Leweegibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Razorbak86

GTA IV and EfLC are completely separate installations on Steam. See the following thread for more details.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...php?p=31765627
Razorbak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Cammalleri

For further references

what you must do to install the steam version over your retail copy

not just pause but cancel any download related to GTA IV / EFLC

Now go into steamapps / common folder and create 2 folder one called
Grand Theft Auto IV Episodes from Liberty City ,

open it and create a folder named EFLC ,

from your retail copy , you go into the EFLC folder and move - pc , TBoGT & TLAD to your newly created folder

open steam again and install the game , steam should find the existing files , best to verify integrity of game cache afterwards to make sure everything is good to go
Cammalleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
TemplarLord

Much appreciated Cammalleri, your advice worked great
TemplarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
lvletho5

Awesome, thx. Saved me from downloading over 7gig
lvletho5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series