Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series

Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
huddie71

Unhappy Graphics Holes - Missing Polygons

Is anyone else seeing graphical glitches in Munch's Oddysee ? I'm mainly talking about missing polygons that appear as holes. It hasn't crashed (yet), but this is annoying and I wonder can it be fixed ?

Here's an example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/huddie71/7106510391/

I don't think this issue is specific to Windows 8, so Windows Vista / 7 users may also see it. Anyway, I've not had any hangs or crashes so far, just these missing triangles.

Here are the details:

O/S: Windows 8 x64 Consumer Preview build 8250
Graphics: AMD ATI Radeon HD 3450; driver WDDM, v 8.93.7.0
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
DirectX: 11, with 9.0c optional components added.

Last edited by huddie71: 04-23-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
Liamaj

Just Add Water
Hi huddie. We've never seen this issue before; is there any way you can try it on Windows 7? (if you have a dual boot setup, don't install a new OS for me).

Do you get any graphical glitches in any other games at all?
Are your drivers up to date?
Liamaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 AM   #3
huddie71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamaj View Post
Hi huddie. We've never seen this issue before; is there any way you can try it on Windows 7? (if you have a dual boot setup, don't install a new OS for me).

Do you get any graphical glitches in any other games at all?
Are your drivers up to date?
Hi Liama. I've tried different driver packages and am currently using the latest. My system and graphics are otherwise fine.

I am indeed dual-booting Win7 x64 and Win8 x64. I'm new to Steam. If I install Steam and Munch's Oddysee on Win7, don't I have to pay for the game again ? I'm not prepared to do that, only to risk the same result. I've read that my video card has poor OpenGL support - it uses v1.1 from what I can tell, even though its spec lists v3.1.

If Steam will allow me to download the game again on Win7 for free, I think I'll try that. Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks.
huddie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
TheLeoCrow

You don't have to pay anything. You don't even have to download the game again. Install steam on win 7, login using your account and then either download the game or do the following:
1)exit steam
2)copy your steamapps folder from the steam folder on windows 8 to the steam folder on windows 7 (steamapps is the folder where all your steam games are saved).
3)start steam again. If the games appear as if they haven't been downloaded yet (they only give you the option to download instead of playing) then restart windows 7.
When you first start each of your games, you may need to install it first (steam will do it for you).

The best part about steam is that you can keep your games across multiple computers or windows installations
TheLeoCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
huddie71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeoCrow View Post
You don't have to pay anything. You don't even have to download the game again. Install steam on win 7, login using your account and then either download the game or do the following:
1)exit steam
2)copy your steamapps folder from the steam folder on windows 8 to the steam folder on windows 7 (steamapps is the folder where all your steam games are saved).
3)start steam again. If the games appear as if they haven't been downloaded yet (they only give you the option to download instead of playing) then restart windows 7.
When you first start each of your games, you may need to install it first (steam will do it for you).

The best part about steam is that you can keep your games across multiple computers or windows installations
Thanks TheLeoCrow. That's very helpful. I'll do that tonight and let you both know whether I still have the glitches.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
huddie71

Talking

Tried TheLeoCrow's suggestion and it's working great in Win7!

Just on the off-chance, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it in Win8, but have the same problem with it. Still, no matter. Not sure what the problem is, but this is satisfactory and I'm very grateful for your help. Cheers!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
Liamaj

Just Add Water
Glad it worked out for you
Liamaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
TheLeoCrow

It was Liamaj's idea, not mine, I just explained the easiest way to do it. And I'm glad as well it's working for you
TheLeoCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
The-Terryer

I am getting errors similar to these, only in games like Dawn of War II (Steam version) and Need for Speed Carbon/Most Wanted. Whenever I see graphical errors like these it weirds me out to no end. Anywho, is there any possible solutions? Since my roll-back driver doesn't support shaders, etc?
The-Terryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
huddie71

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Terryer View Post
I am getting errors similar to these, only in games like Dawn of War II (Steam version) and Need for Speed Carbon/Most Wanted. Whenever I see graphical errors like these it weirds me out to no end. Anywho, is there any possible solutions? Since my roll-back driver doesn't support shaders, etc?
From what I could tell, it may have been the limited support for OpenGL on my Win8 CP PC. I found a tool that reports OpenGL capabilities; let me know if you want me to look it up. Win7 runs the game fine, and even Win8 Release Preview is better.

The whole experience jarateed me off and reminded me why I switched to console gaming. I thought Steam was supposed to eliminate these problems.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
Hitout

Hello, I've got the exact same graphic bugs in EVERY OpenGL game on Windows 7. I figured it was my graphic card driver (ATI Catalyst 4xxx series) causing the problem, so I rolled it back to the previous version via the device manager. The graphic bugs are now gone, but when I want to play recently installed games, e. g. Minecraft, the game crashes because OpenGL failed to initialize and I have to upgrade my GPU drivers. Now I'm in a checkmate situation. I think I'll install the CCC from 24/7/2012 and see what happens.
Hitout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
AerinEvinz

similiar issue with an HP laptop with ATI Radeon HD 3200 series card

when I installed the lastest drivers for the Radeaon HD 3200 card on my laptop suddenly this strange 'missing polygon/holes' issue appeared in lots of games. Max Payne 2 is the only specific one I can remember because it was interestingly only the player models that were affected. Very strange indeed.

The only fix that worked for me was to just revert back to the previous driver version. Not sure if that's helpful at all, but I figured I'd throw this up here in case anyone else comes across the same problem with the ATI Radeon HD 3200 cards.
AerinEvinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Khronikos

Here's a fix: Stop playing this awful game until the remake comes out.
Khronikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Kyle07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khronikos View Post
Here's a fix: Stop playing this awful game until the remake comes out.
It isn't awful. I enjoyed playing through it with a ATI Card...
Kyle07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series