Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead

Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
fapoo

Thumbs up Best Intro Ever

The intro to left 4 dead is possibly the best video intro for a game ever. It works on so many levels.

-It sets the story up to the start of the game.
-It introduces all the characters
- as well as clearly providing a starting point to their personalities and relationships between each other.
-It introduces the enemies and their abilities.
-It introduces different concepts to how the game works (e.g. pipebombs, car alarms, witch+flashlight)
-It has tension
-It has action
-IT IS AWESOME.

The people who created the video need silly amounts of credits because I couldn't help myself but play No Mercy right after even though I just wanted to watch the intro only.

So just a kudos thread to the creators. After years of being released, it still brings joy...and terror.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
tron00

Agreed.. I've owned the game since the beginning and still will watch it every now and then. I like L4D2's intro, as well. These guys should write a movie script.
tron00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
MartinKhan

Banned
Yeah, both L4D games have great intros, especially the original Left 4 Dead.
MartinKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
colbent

Not to turn this into another L4D vs L4D2 thread, but I think both intros are indicative of the tone of both games and how they're different.

L4D's intro is basically a short film. It's well written and acted and as fapoo laid out, it's very informative and teaches the viewer things about the game probably without them even realizing it. Not to mention that it creates genuine tension and suspense.

L4D2's intro on the other hand is a montage of scenes of the characters being really badass or funny. There's no tension or suspense since it's just a bunch of scenes thrown together. It seems more concerned with looking exciting and action-packed rather than teaching the player anything. The infected are actually shown doing things that they can't do in-game (the jockey slamming Elis head against a car, the charger throwing Elis through a wall, a common knocking the gun out of Elis' hands). Overall I think it's a much more superficial experience, kind of like how I feel about the game.

I realize that the L4D2 intro is supposed to be like a movie trailer, but Valve decided to make it that way. Judging from the L4D intro and the TF2 videos, they're totally capable of making genuinely funny and informative short films, so I'm not sure why they decided to construct the L4D2 intro this way. It's about as confusing as their decision to make a sequel to L4D in one year.
colbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Spinx

Definitely agreed! It is by far the best game intro I have ever seen. Totally sets the tone and teaches you how to play at the same time. Thumbs up to Valve for this!

And I feel the same way colbent. I first played L4D2 expecting another amazing intro video and... Well, was feeling pretty let down afterward.
Spinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
MartinKhan

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbent View Post
Not to turn this into another L4D vs L4D2 thread, but I think both intros are indicative of the tone of both games and how they're different.

L4D's intro is basically a short film. It's well written and acted and as fapoo laid out, it's very informative and teaches the viewer things about the game probably without them even realizing it. Not to mention that it creates genuine tension and suspense.

L4D2's intro on the other hand is a montage of scenes of the characters being really badass or funny. There's no tension or suspense since it's just a bunch of scenes thrown together. It seems more concerned with looking exciting and action-packed rather than teaching the player anything. The infected are actually shown doing things that they can't do in-game (the jockey slamming Elis head against a car, the charger throwing Elis through a wall, a common knocking the gun out of Elis' hands). Overall I think it's a much more superficial experience, kind of like how I feel about the game.

I realize that the L4D2 intro is supposed to be like a movie trailer, but Valve decided to make it that way. Judging from the L4D intro and the TF2 videos, they're totally capable of making genuinely funny and informative short films, so I'm not sure why they decided to construct the L4D2 intro this way. It's about as confusing as their decision to make a sequel to L4D in one year.
Well, I've to agree. I like both intros, but you're right, the L4D intro is by far better than the L4D2 intro, when it comes to "setting up the story". The L4D2 intro makes it look more like an action movie, like you said.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
Sarevok08

I'd go with the first being best. If you've NEVER played either, the first provides far more information and back story. The second, as said, is just a montage of shots, providing a little detail with the heading up the stairs to the chopper.
Sarevok08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #8
brabee

You got it all wrong. The best intro is The Sacrifice, because of the desperate-fight-for-live atmosphere. Aaaand tension.

Anyway, L4D intro is pretty cool, L4D2 is meh.
brabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
RainingMetal

The intros do reflect on the kind of environment and gameplay each game has to offer. Left 4 Dead 1's intro is gloomy and dark, much like the game itself. It also provides the basics. Left 4 Dead 2's intro is more action-paced, and assumes that the viewer already knows about the game.

Valve did make these intros very effective. And they said they weren't good at cutscenes!
RainingMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
MartinKhan

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabee View Post
You got it all wrong. The best intro is The Sacrifice, because of the desperate-fight-for-live atmosphere. Aaaand tension.

Anyway, L4D intro is pretty cool, L4D2 is meh.
That's not an intro, that's a trailer. Still, I've to agree, The Sacrifice trailer is awesome.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
JustRed

1000 hours later and I still sit around gawking at the L4D intro, while people are waiting for me lol
(lost my spot more than once this way hehe)
JustRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
NabsterHax

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabee View Post
The Sacrifice trailer was quite impressive. Unfortunately it was ruined by all the L4D2 crap in it and the fact it let us know Valve was lying to the L4D1 community all along.
NabsterHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
HawkeSolaris

L4D1 intro- I liked the Hunter part best. Louis getting pwned by Hunter ^^
L4D2 intro- Was kinda meh. Cheesy action movie style, which was fine in itself as it was a good production but still, compared to the original, was kinda meh.
Sacrifice trailer- Awesome. The noise as Bill throws the molotov always sends a chill down my spine. Zoey's expression to Bill offering her a cigarette never fails to make me smirk too.
HawkeSolaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead