Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spiral Knights

Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
Vlad ze Impaler

4/23/12 - Steam User Forums (Guild) Dissolved

Not that there were really many people left but today I killed the guild once and for all. There was me, Zpte, and Frogreaders remaining when I cleaned up the roster of people who had been inactive for over a month. It was dead a long time ago when the guild completed its purpose of helping people adjust to the game back when it first launched but the vast majority of people have simply stopped playing or joined a more hardcore guild.

I was going to create a new "do whatever, no commitments" type guild called Tabula Rasa but the name was already taken (despite me never seeing said Clan in-game or outside of it) and couldn't think of another cool name so I let it be.

Technically the guild remains "active" because the original founder, Nerfed, cannot be removed although she hasn't been in-game since October 2011 (and even then it was just for five minutes). She remains the only member and since she'll most likely never bother downloading the client and logging in again, at least the guild, in some form, lives on in the history books.

So thanks to everyone, past and present, who has been a part of the guild at some point. Not sure what I'll be doing ... tempted to go look for a guild but I'm far too lazy to fill out applications or even log into the official SK forums. I've been running with random pubs for ages anyway and done all right, but if any of our former members has found a good guild let me know.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Punishment

Yeah, I haven't really felt any need to play since a week after the mission expansion landed. Perhaps if there's a major content update (that doesn't involve paying money for it), I'll be back. Thanks everyone for the good times running FSC and hunting down the great punkin.
Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Jaerin

I wish you luck, but out of curiosity why is the game less fun now that missions are in place?

As an aside I quit for a while and didn't come back until the missions were added. I was T3, killed Vana before I left, but I still found the missions a welcome immersion into the story of the dungeons.

Not to mention the "grind" was certainly easier because you could just run the things you wanted to run. You had to "waste" less energy on pre-levels that weren't anything but a ME and CE sink.

I know that it certainly makes the whole game a bit more accessible and therefore perhaps "easier" in a sense, but I'm not sure why it would be less fun.

Last edited by Jaerin: 04-23-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Jaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Vlad ze Impaler

Missions are fun but I ran through them pretty fast. The vast majority are just normal clockworks levels with a few (very) minor changes, if they're altered at all. There are, however, a handful of very interesting ones definitely worth playing and provided a fun distraction.

At the end of the day there's just not that much content. I've run Firestorm Citadel enough to have both a Crest of Almire and Fang of Vog. I've earned all but one achievement (10k minerals), and have literally seen and done everything with the exception of Shadow Lairs (1800 energy for a CHANCE to beat the levels ... yeah right).

They needed to add a bunch of costumes and accessories so everyone and their mother wasn't wearing Vog Cub but now they've added enough for the time being. They need to focus on adding more substantive end-game content that isn't paylocked like Operation: Crimson Hammer (a very enjoyable mission). They need to get the Core ready and make it absurdly difficult and long (and ever-changing like the Clockworks).

I still do my daily prestige mission and, if I have time and/or motivation, maybe a trip to the Jelly Palace or FSC. Not sure how long my motivation to do even that will last. Maybe because I have so much invested already, I dunno.
Vlad ze Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
PolarisOrbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad ze Impaler View Post
I was going to create a new "do whatever, no commitments" type guild called Tabula Rasa but the name was already taken (despite me never seeing said Clan in-game or outside of it) and couldn't think of another cool name so I let it be.
Why would you dissolve a guild just to create another? That makes no sense

Anyway I decided to give the missions a shot and have been slowly plodding through them. I think I need some new gear for some of em, there was a Fiend mission in Tier 8 that took me a long time to beat cuz I didn't have anything with piercing resist! I finally broke down and made a Wolver suit, they're just too good. Sucks that that's pretty much required gear, this is why I quit the Clockwerks in the first place
PolarisOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Vlad ze Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisOrbit View Post
Why would you dissolve a guild just to create another? That makes no sense
Because I've always hated the name "Steam User Forums" and for one brief instance I had motivation to try and start something new just for kicks. And when you've done virtually everything and have enough 5* gear to overcome literally anything in the game for the next year or so, burning 400 CE isn't too big a deal.
EDIT - Also since I've been running pub groups for the past several months, even if the new guild had failed, at least I had a guild tag above my head. Conversation starter at any rate ... pub groups tend to be too quiet.

In hindsight it was a good thing the name was already taken as I realized I'm far too lazy to run another guild.

Last edited by Vlad ze Impaler: 04-23-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
I wish you luck, but out of curiosity why is the game less fun now that missions are in place?
For one thing, most of them were just rehashing levels that I had already done. There were a few new twists, like some of the construct levels with mini-boss type enemies, but it largely felt exactly like the game I had played to death months ago.

That's not to say that missions aren't great for new players, because they're really helpful. Getting low level gear from missions makes descending the clockworks far more user friendly.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
ZPE

Sad to see this but not surprised. I don't even play the game any more, just utilize my daily mist to get a few crowns on the side via crafting. I should play the game more as I invested a lot of time and CE (via TF2) into the game but I just can't be bothered to do anything. I can spend all day on the Auction House though, great time-waster that.

I can't say for sure I'd stay in a pro-active guild long though for the reason above but thanks everyone for the great moments we had together.
ZPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Derp-Master

What a shame. I personally haven't been a member, but, what saddens me is that the interest for this game in the Steam community is so poor.
Derp-Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
ZPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp-Master View Post
What a shame. I personally haven't been a member, but, what saddens me is that the interest for this game in the Steam community is so poor.
It might have something to do with the thriving official forums but I can't take the majority of threads talking about dressing up in wolver tails and attaching a love puppy to your stomach.
ZPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
Vlad ze Impaler

The official forums are a trainwreck that I'd just rather avoid. It's obviously where everyone goes to talk about the game but the average maturity level there is significantly less than here. Can't even go a day without someone necro'ing old posts up to the top trying to be funny.

I'll stick to these boards even if 95% of the activity involves trading and client troubleshooting.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
Batabii

stupid quitters
Batabii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batabii View Post
stupid quitters
If the game ever becomes fun again, I might unquit.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
Batabii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punishment View Post
If the game ever becomes fun again, I might unquit.
The game never stopped being fun.
Batabii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
SuperS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batabii View Post
The game never stopped being fun.
Is endless grinding of the same stratum (FSC) for more and more money fun?
Once you're full 5*, possibly with UVs, and have achieved pretty much everything you'd ever want to do in this game, there's nothing else you can do.

There's no new free content since the introduction of the Roarmulus Twins, back in July 2011. Hell.

You might say "Derp there's Shadow Lairs", nope. Not only do you have to pay 450 CE each person in a 4 Man party to enter, but they're also just remakes of older dungeons.

"Derp there's also Operation Crimson Hammer", nope. While it's been nicer than Shadow Lairs since you pay once and never again, it's still not free. Also you just need to beat it 3 times per Tier (and remember all 3 tiers are identical except the strength of enemies) to get everything out of it, then it's just not fun nor profitable.

The only thing I can do to have fun in this game anymore, after having spent some money in it to support it, is to randomly run the normal old Clockworks. Alone. Since nobody will ever do anything that isn't profitable.

Last edited by SuperS: 04-27-2012 at 09:36 AM.
SuperS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spiral Knights