Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
victordamatta
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 3
Posts: 18
Game genres

Why isn't there a shooter genre in the store? Seems like a no brainer to me...
victordamatta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
MADDOGGE
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Reputation: 11179
Posts: 26,088
What do you mean by shooter? From what I have seen, a shooter can be almost anything. A FPS, a TPS or even old school games like Alien Invaders.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
victordamatta
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 3
Posts: 18
all shooters, just to make it a little more specific than action
victordamatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Dreadjaws
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 946
Posts: 3,195
There should be many more genres in the Steam store, and yet they have "indie", which is not even a genre. This problem has existed for long, I don't see them fixing it anytime soon.
Dreadjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
crunchyfrog555
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 2669
Posts: 9,511
Based on the categories on offer, I can certainly see why.

Shooting is rather a means to an end, so to introduce such a category would rather mess up everything that is there, as it may well apply to more than one category.

Naturally, games already are like this, but I'm just saying that this might be a step too far.

You yourself referenced Action, so you know where they're likely be - ergo, it serves it purpose.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
Tryp
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reputation: 177
Posts: 344
I'd be happy for just a 'horror' genre myself...people who play horror games tend to seek them out and more often than not we have to dig them out of a huge list of adventure or action games. It gets to be a pain having to see games like Amnesia or Killing Floor listed alongside of games like Call of Duty and Terraria. >.<
Tryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Cattleclysm
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 86
Posts: 571
Indie should be tag, not a genre.

Also +1 for proper genres.
Cattleclysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Foey
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 148
Posts: 616
The Adventure genre in Steam -- a real, decades old, easy to categorize genre -- is completely useless. Right now the "featured" games in that section are Torchlight 2, Yesterday, Lone Survivor, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, A Valley Without Wind, The Walking Dead, Rayman Origins, Legend of Grimrock, Alan Wake, and Sword and Sorcery. Only two of those ten games, Yesterday and The Walking Dead, are actually Adventure games. The rest aren't even described as Adventure games when you go their store pages. They're listed as Action instead but Steam still clutters up the Adventure section with them.
Foey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
GusTheCrocodile
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 624
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattleclysm View Post
Indie should be tag, not a genre.

Also +1 for proper genres.
Well, even genres should be (and indeed are) treated like tags; there's no explicit, divine rules and games can be in more than one genre.

To that end, they could rename the "genres" menu to "categories", or just "tags", or something (free to play is not a genre either, for instance, it's a business model). More importantly though, they should have a set of checkboxes on the advanced search page to let you tick all the ones you want to look for. As long as there's a good way to filter them, you can add as many different tags as you want.
GusTheCrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
CTRL ALT DEL !
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 2452
Posts: 3,413
The store is the first place genre are needed.

The games list is another, it would be nice to call games up by genre in both.

I don't see this happening any time soon though.
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Tryp
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reputation: 177
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foey View Post
The Adventure genre in Steam -- a real, decades old, easy to categorize genre -- is completely useless. Right now the "featured" games in that section are Torchlight 2, Yesterday, Lone Survivor, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, A Valley Without Wind, The Walking Dead, Rayman Origins, Legend of Grimrock, Alan Wake, and Sword and Sorcery. Only two of those ten games, Yesterday and The Walking Dead, are actually Adventure games. The rest aren't even described as Adventure games when you go their store pages. They're listed as Action instead but Steam still clutters up the Adventure section with them.
The hell is Grimrock not under rpg for? It's a grid-based dungeon crawler.
And it's fricking awesome.

Last edited by Tryp: 04-26-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: the voices in my head told me to
Tryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
GusTheCrocodile
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 624
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryp View Post
The hell is Grimrock not under rpg for? It's a grid-based dungeon crawler.
And it's fricking awesome.
Grimrock is under RPG. Games can be in more than one category.

Edit: also, the store page may be different where you are, Foey, but viewing from Australia, it's absolutely incorrect that those adventure games aren't marked as such on their individual store pages. They all are; as they should be, since those tags are exactly the same ones used to classify the genre pages.

And I'd dispute that adventure, as a genre, can only ever mean extensions on the old point-and-click, use-cucumber-on-speakerphone kind of game anyway, the same way Torchilight and Grimrock can both be RPGs but are completely different games.

Last edited by GusTheCrocodile: 04-26-2012 at 09:22 PM.
GusTheCrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Tryp
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reputation: 177
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheCrocodile View Post
And I'd dispute that adventure, as a genre, can only ever mean extensions on the old point-and-click, use-cucumber-on-speakerphone kind of game anyway,

I lol'd.
Tryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
crunchyfrog555
 
 
 
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 2669
Posts: 9,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheCrocodile View Post
Well, even genres should be (and indeed are) treated like tags; there's no explicit, divine rules and games can be in more than one genre.

To that end, they could rename the "genres" menu to "categories", or just "tags", or something (free to play is not a genre either, for instance, it's a business model). More importantly though, they should have a set of checkboxes on the advanced search page to let you tick all the ones you want to look for. As long as there's a good way to filter them, you can add as many different tags as you want.
Well said. This is more succinct than I put it.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.