Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
kornetto

(N00b) Disapearing "DVD-Drive"?

Specs:
Win7 Home Premium
DVD Drive(?): hl-dt-st-dvdram gh22ns50 (by LG)(don't know proper name, so I will call it dvd drive for now)
Firmware for this thing: TN03

The problem: For quite some time now my DVD Drive stops working randomly, it still opens however it won't read any discs.
The thing is also not listed in the device manager after it stopped working (when it works it is listed) no error messages what so ever).
When I restart the computer, the Drive is working again as it should, but it will always stop working and disapear after some time (sometimes a couple of minutes or even hours).
So the question is wtf is wrong with this thing?

Already tried: delete upper filters (lower filters did not exist)
reinstall driver
update firmware

If you haven't already noticed I have pretty much no knowledge or experience about PC Hardware issues and I am also not too bright, so if there is any information missing about the issue that you need, please let me know.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
wildfire678

Sounds more like hardware rather than firmware/software.

try re seating the cables on both the drive and motherboard, it may have simply worked it's way loose.
wildfire678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
masta121

It's likely you have it running under AHCI mode. Optical drives do that a lot under that mode as they're not compatible with it. If your motherboard has the option of running the last two ports as IDE, use that function.
masta121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
YahooElite

Dying drive perhaps? or a bad cable?

Might be time to replace the drive, they dont cost much afterall.

atleast test another drive in it if possible.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #5
kornetto

@masta121: I had both my harddrive and Diskdrive running under IDE mode for as long as I had my PC because I never knew that AHCI even existed, I have recently discovered AHCI mode and switched to using it and since then the drive disapearing appeared less frequently, but ultimately happens in both modes.

@Yahooelite: The drive isn't even a year old, though it could off course still be possible that it is simpy broken.
Would the same model of the disk drive be fine in case I get it replaced or should it be a different model altogether?

@wildfire: I have never checked the cables as I don't even know how open the PC, but I will learn about that in the next couple of days and check the cables.
kornetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
Sleepy Ben

I had a similar problem a while ago when I bought a brand new Blu-ray drive - an LG model. I found that whenever my PC resumed from S3 sleep the optical drive had disappeared. I posted on several forums and emailed LG tech support but never got to the bottom of it.

I returned the Blu-ray drive and bought a well reported Lite-On DVD-RW which worked perfectly and my PC resumed properly from S3 sleep again.

Kornetto - if its similar issue and you don't use Sleep/Resume then try looking at the power saving options - don't allow hard drives to power off for example. For me - S3 sleep and resume is a must so I returned the drive.
Sleepy Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
kornetto

@ Sleepy Ben: I rarely use Sleep and Resume as it tends to give me bluescreens, however my optical drive used to work fine, this whole disapearing thing started a few weeks back.
I checked the power saving functions and there was an option activated saying that my hard drive will be deactivated after 20 minutes;
I have disabled this now.

Update: Now my drive will just crash the windows explorer if I dare to let it read a disc or click on it in my computer, also it is not possible to restore the windows explorer after this happened.

Last edited by kornetto: 04-24-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: new problems
Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
YahooElite

Then yeah, you should attempt to replace the drive.

Only times ive ever had problems with disk reading is when the drive was failing or the lens needed to be cleaned, in which case it was mostly a failing drive.

it doesnt have to be the same brand, just try to get something similar.
YahooElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
A-spase

whats the specification of your pc. i have same issue on my old laptop dell 2200 which i give up.was problem installing windows i did with usb flash drive.the dvd drive was disappearing all the time cause i broke thing myself and fix after that. it never work properly again.try different dvd drive work no problem was no spare money buy dvd drive,widows show blue screen after every second day so i give up on that thing.
A-spase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Bad_Motha

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornetto View Post
1) I checked the power saving functions and there was an option activated saying that my hard drive will be deactivated after 20 minutes;
I have disabled this now.

2) Now my drive will just crash the windows explorer if I dare to let it read a disc or click on it in my computer, also it is not possible to restore the windows explorer after this happened.
1) This won't effect Optical Drives at all! Plus this doesn't effect your OS SSD/HDD if it's running something, it's only an idle-state sleep timer.

2) To restore Explorer when it crashes, simply press CTRL+ALT+DEL > Open Task Manager > Applications tab > New Task > explorer > OK; and now Windows Explorer will open again and restore your entire desktop.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
kornetto

I can bring the explorer back this way but anything besides the task manager and that menu that pops up after CTRL+ALT+DEL everything stays unresponsive, nothing happens when I click a desktop shortcut or click "my computer".
Since the PoS drive appears to be completely broken now (won't even read discs no more) I will probably have to buy a new one, but this still appears to be a rather strange way to die for a disk drive....
Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Unclejunebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornetto View Post
The drive isn't even a year old, though it could off course still be possible that it is simpy broken.
Would the same model of the disk drive be fine in case I get it replaced or should it be a different model altogether?
It's not unheard of for newer components to die. If it's less than a year old you might have some kind of warranty left. I would check with where you purchased the drive and the manufacturer to check for warranty support. You should be able to get it replaced without having to buy a new one.
Unclejunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
Sleepy Ben

Since you switched from standard to AHCI you've been messing about with SATA drivers and settings - its possible that something inside Windows just isn't *right* for want of a better expression.

The fact that you get BSODs when using Sleep and Resume proves there's something screwed up with Windows and/or the drivers you have installed.

I would so a backup/format and fresh install of Windows and put the SATA back on IDE for best compatability. Latest drivers from the mobo manufacturer for mobo chipset/sound/NIC and Nvidia/AMD for your graphics card.

Then if its *still* a problem - well £20 for a new DVD-RW isn't a big deal and you'll a nice fresh install too.
Sleepy Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Bad_Motha

Banned
What motherboard do u have?
So can have a look at it's specs and manual to see what BIOS options you have an what would be the best options to use for BIOS settings.

Typically most motherboard have approx 4 + 2 SATA. Which if you have the option in BIOS, I'd set the main 4 to AHCI mode and only use SSD/HDD type drives on those, then have the last 2 set to IDE mode and use those for Optical type drives.

I had a similar issue with a Lite-On DVDRW drive where it had all the problems you're having, as it was on a port that had AHCI mode enabled. The drive had extreme lagg, when it would actually decide to work and read discs, then it stopped working altogether. Was just a cheap drive IMO, it didn't last 6 months. I then got two more Optical drives, a Samsung BD-RW and an ASUS DVD-RW. I hooked those drive up to ports 5-6 (which are set in BIOS to IDE mode) and been working great ever since. I have ports 1-4 set to AHCI mode upon which I have 1xSSD, 1x2TB HDD, plus 2x1TB HDDs in RAID-0; all or which been working great.

I did a test at one point though on my motherboard where I used the ASUS DVD-RW drive on a port that was using AHCI mode and it works great on there as well, but the Samsung BD-RW drive did not like being run under AHCI mode. So some drives can do ok under that mode, but most Optical drives can't run properly when on a port that's using native AHCI mode. Also, back when the Lite-On worked at the very beginning, Win7 wouldn't install without errors whenever the DVD-RW was hooked up to port using AHCI mode.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
kornetto

@ Sleepy Ben:
Both the Bluescreens and drive bugs happened way before I switched to AHCI, it even happened way before I discovered what a BIOS is and how to access it.
I don't doubt that my windows installation has a few issues, if I get a new drive and the issue persists I will know that my windows caused the problem, but not why it happened or how to prevent it from happening again..
However I wouldn't reinstall windows right now as I planned to get a new gfx card soon, when I get the card I planned to both reinstall windows and wipe my HDD clear and start over from the beginning, so for now I guess I'll stick with Steam Store purchases for the time being.

oh, with mobo updates do you mean BIOS updates, or is a mobo update a whole other thing?

@ Bad_Motha:
I'm not sure, but the package of the Mobo says it is a
ASUS Motherboard P8H67

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems