Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Ihateforums

Banned
TF2 Screen flickering?

I tried playing TF2 after a few days of Tera's open beta, and I noticed this flickering effect when I checked my inventory. When I joined a game, this odd flickering effect started as well. The whole screen doesn't flicker, it's more moving strips that randomly move in and out, and the screen only flickers where the strips are.

How do I fix this? (And on a random note, it seems that the graphics got a bit better or brighter, so I'm not sure if that has to do with anything or not).

I did not touch the settings beforehand and I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, to no avail.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Angon

Stock answer: update your video driver.

You said you reinstalled, but it can't hurt to verify TF2's files as well.
Angon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Ihateforums

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angon View Post
Stock answer: update your video driver.

You said you reinstalled, but it can't hurt to verify TF2's files as well.
Oh yeah, I do remember updating my laptop's video drivers in an attempt to boost my FPS in Tera. When I first tried TF2 again, that was with the new drivers. So i rollbacked to the original drivers, to no avail. Should I upgrade back to the new drivers?
Ihateforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Angon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihateforums View Post
Oh yeah, I do remember updating my laptop's video drivers in an attempt to boost my FPS in Tera. When I first tried TF2 again, that was with the new drivers. So i rollbacked to the original drivers, to no avail. Should I upgrade back to the new drivers?
I'd suggest completely uninstalling your video driver (and optionally using the driver cleaning program of your preference), then installing the latest driver for your card.

Are you getting flicker in any other games?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Ihateforums

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angon View Post
I'd suggest completely uninstalling your video driver (and optionally using the driver cleaning program of your preference), then installing the latest driver for your card.

Are you getting flicker in any other games?
Umm DotA 2, actually. I'm not sure if this is a temporary fix, but turning on Anti-Aliasing to 2x MSAA managed to stop the flickering. But if I recall correctly, I usually had it off. Everything seems brighter than usual now, and it's making my laptop eat up more CPU than I'd want it to use. What settings do I change to lower the brightness (Not brightness of the screen, like the brightness of the sun that makes the characters more...shinier for lack of a better word.)

Gonna try changing the settings in DotA 2 and see if it works too.

Last edited by Ihateforums: 04-23-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Angon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihateforums View Post
Umm DotA 2, actually. I'm not sure if this is a temporary fix, but turning on Anti-Aliasing to 2x MSAA managed to stop the flickering. But if I recall correctly, I usually had it off. Everything seems brighter than usual now, and it's making my laptop eat up more CPU than I'd want it to use. What settings do I change to lower the brightness (Not brightness of the screen, like the brightness of the sun that makes the characters more...shinier for lack of a better word.)

Gonna try changing the settings in DotA 2 and see if it works too.
From your description, it sounds like the new drivers may have some kind of post processing, oversaturation feature ("digital vibrance" or the like) enabled by default. If that's the case, you should be able to turn it off in the driver settings.

Do you have any screenshots of TF2 from before the problem? It might help us to figure out exactly what's changed if you could upload before/after pictures.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #7
Ihateforums

Banned
Here's a couple of before images
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Waiting...76122780515788
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Waiting...41084528470115

After
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Waiting...42621609122907
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Waiting...621609282787/?

The lighting is definitely more dynamic in the after pics, which I don't want. And I can't seem to find a fix for DotA 2, so yeah it's probably a driver setting that probably got changed when I updated my drivers. AMD's Catalyst Control Center is crap though, I can barely change any settings.

Here's a list of the 3D application settings (Would take screenshot, but I can't upload attachments to this forum ._.)

Anti-Aliasing = Use application settings

Anisotropic Filtering = Use application settings

Tesselation = AMD Optimized

Catalyst A.I = Texture Filtering Quality set on middle (Quality)
Enable Surface Format Optimization IS checked.

Wait for vertical refresh = Off, unless application specifies

Anti-Aliasing Mode = Multi-sample AA

OpenGL Settings - Triple Buffering is NOT checked.

That's all the settings the Catalyst Control Center has for gaming-related things.

Oh, and my video card is an AMD Radeon HD 6630M

Last edited by Ihateforums: 04-24-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Ihateforums

Banned
bumpppppp need help still
Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Ihateforums

Banned
Still need help here...I think it has something to do with the dynamic lighting. How do I turn that off?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Angon

Sorry, didn't check SPUF for a while.

I feel your pain with CCC. For what it's worth, my settings are exactly the same as yours other than Texture Filtering Quality (mine is on the third setting).

The Source engine command for dynamic lighting is "r_dynamic 0/1". I'm not sure if it has any effect in TF2 though.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #11
Mixaraah

Choose one solution:
1) if you're using nvidia drivers, downgrade those to 306.97
2) if you were using tf2 in dx8 mode, run it in dx9
3) if your rig is capable of running tf2 in your screen's native resolution, add this to launch options: -sw -noborder -w WIDTH -h HEIGHT
Mixaraah is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2