Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
Jomz

Tips For Longest Battery Life.

Can you guys give me some tips to make My battery Life longer > , < i feel only i had only 3 hours of browsing :| with fresh recharged :| and also.. i tried to turn off the monitor but I still felt it doesn`t make battery life longer :| any tips plz thanks guys.. im using acer D257 Thanks Again.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
TeKraken

Turned the screen brightness down?

Have you still got the 3 cell battery in it?
You could upgrade it to a 6 cell one. (IDK which)
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
محمد عباس علي

When you're at home I guess you could just disconnect the battery because leaving it on constant charge will weaken the battery. Other than this just go into your power options within Control Panel and then edit the advanced settings in more detail. If you can't be assed doing all this get an app to do it for you
محمد عباس علي is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
F10

3 hours is not that bad for your laptop. I get max 3 on mine with some very accurate trimmings for battery life.

The basic things you can do:

1. Turn down the monitor brightness to its lowest
2. use headphones not built in speakers
3. set windows to power saving mode
4. turn off wireless and bluetooth when not using them

The more complex things you could do:

1. start task manager or get procexp (its like task manager but on crack) shut down applications that are using system resources, that you are not actually using. I get a ton of these all the time like: bonjour service (Apple software is like malware for windows), Itunes helper, adobe stuff, VIAO stuff so on. (note that you laptop came with preinstalled bloatware, programs that are Acer specific, if you have not removed them, then they will always be running eating system resources and battery life)

2. Go to the power saving mode and go to advanced settings. In there you can set some specific things. Like "when on battery use XX% of CPU" meaning that the CPU will be limited to a certain percentage of its capacity, meaning less power use but could take longer to compute a task. In there you can also set things like Hard drive sleep time. So the HDD will turn off after the specified amount of time. I have this set to something like 1 minute. Meaning that if you are browsing the web and are on a page for 1 minutes the HDD will stop spinning and thus save you some energy.

If i think of other things will post later. But in general you should be happy with 3 hours bat life. If not then get an ePC or a MAC. The things above generally improve battery life by 20-30 minutes, but all depends on usage level.
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 AM   #5
F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by محمد عباس علي View Post
When you're at home I guess you could just disconnect the battery because leaving it on constant charge will weaken the battery. Other than this just go into your power options within Control Panel and then edit the advanced settings in more detail. If you can't be assed doing all this get an app to do it for you
The new designs mean that battery is not always on trickle charge. Once its charged that's it. No more current passes through it until it begins to discharge.
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
caveman26

http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/10-w...-battery-life/

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/main...e/battery.aspx

a couple of site to help cut the power usage down
caveman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
Jomz

Ahmm yes.. i did very lowest ... and also.. i did to turn off the lights of my laptop :|

ahmm I gonna do.. use headphones, and the windows power saving mode and off unnecesarry task and i gonna visit the link u gave to me guys Thanks btw guys.. I can sleep my laptop if i go downloading something.? > , <.?? coz every night i download something :| and i only turn off the lights of the monitor... this can help reduce energy consumption.?

Last edited by Jomz: 04-24-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
Bad_Motha

Banned
On most laptops (like Dell and Acer) they usually come with a fairly low-end/low-capacity battery off the bat unless u paid more for a better one (like 6, 8, or 9 cell model design). If it's 6 cell or less, they just will not last long no matter what you set in your OS to try and extend the life between charges. Look up your model of laptop (like Ebay and elsewhere) and see if a higher capacity battery exists for your laptop. They usually aren't too expensive (around $30 - $60 or so) depending on your laptop's model.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #9
Jomz

ohh sir . bad motha.. i had 4400mah battery.. but im not sure what cell i got... since its almost chinese characters on the description :| and i had acer d257 netbook laptop hehehe
Old 04-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
Bad_Motha

Banned
Oh ok, well with Netbook types, they pretty much only have one battery type/capacity. So not a whole lot you can do, accept for those tips that F10 suggested. Also if you're just browsing and alike, try going into the graphics settings for the onboard GPU and setting it's power settings to Maximize Battery Life (for when u running on battery). This can help to cut down on the GPU's clocks and power consumption to further your battery life between charges.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
thotaz

You can't really do much, you can change the power settings in windows or upgrade the battery and that's pretty much it, you are lucky your laptop can hold 3 hours, mine can only hold a little less than 1 hour because for the first couple of years it was almost always plugged in.
thotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
etienneb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10 View Post
The new designs mean that battery is not always on trickle charge. Once its charged that's it. No more current passes through it until it begins to discharge.
That's true. Even my old Toshiba Tecra A7 (2006) had this feature.
etienneb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Jomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienneb29 View Post
That's true. Even my old Toshiba Tecra A7 (2006) had this feature.
ahmm trickle charge means if the battery is fully charge .. it cant discharge itself.????? anyway guys .. > , < ... what if i dont use my battery ( removed on laptop and drained ) for almost 2 years... and if i charge the battery, it can still run for 3 hours or so .?

Last edited by Jomz: 04-24-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
shado028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
ahmm trickle charge means if the battery is fully charge .. it cant discharge itself.????? anyway guys .. > , < ... what if i dont use my battery ( removed on laptop and drained ) for almost 2 years... and if i charge the battery, it can still run for 3 hours or so .?
Over time (like 2 years) the battery will lose its charge, what they are talking about is on newer laptops, instead of the charger always charging the laptop, after it hits a certain point (97% on one of my laptops) it stops charging the battery (until it drops below a certain point and starts charging again). This is done to maximise battery life
shado028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
Bad_Motha

Banned
Also I recommend running HWMonitor from time to time, it can look at your battery and tell you the percentage of it's "Wear Level" when this starts increasing, you'll start running into problems of; you battery not charging fully or it's charge not lasting very long anymore.

BTW, if u want a longer lasting battery, there are 6-cell & 9-cell batteries available for your ACER D257

Just be sure to look at the sticker on bottom of your netbook for the exact (full length) model to be sure before you buy anything.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems