Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 04-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
Forek

Question Offline LAN games

Some friends and I are planning a LAN party next month and we are in deliberation over which games to play. The major crux is that we won't have access to the internet at the time (beyond possibly a wireless dongle), which means that anything we play has to have LAN support.

Are there any Steam games that support LAN play (i.e. a local area network with no internet)? Any other suggestions are also welcome, but this thread is mainly thinking about whether there's anything on Steam.

PS. We're not trying to get around DRM or anything and we would of course each own copies of the relevant games.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
ledow

I think your problem won't be games supporting LAN play, but trying to get that many people onto Steam offline mode at the same time and then expecting to play them. It sounds like a recipe for disaster, if I'm honest, and I actually think offline mode works quite well.

Even LAN-based games will need Steam authentication and the only way around it is to put everyone in offline mode first. You'll see from these forums just how successful people are at doing that. If you don't do it, you can't play any Steam game - so that player might well have not turned up.

And trying to get them *online* would also be pretty hard without a decent connection. It only needs one person there to receive a single update to a single game (or anything else that generates traffic) and everyone else will struggle to stay online and get their games authenticated when they run them. You also better hope that the game you intend to play doesn't update at that point either, because then you'll all need to download a huge update before Steam will let you run it (and after that it won't even work in offline mode until you update!).

There are games on Steam that can do local LAN play but, honestly, your problem is not the game but Steam here.
ledow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Amander

Steam's offline mode usually works when you're entirely offline. Meaning no NIC with a gateway assigned.

As for the games, basically everything should work.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Forek

Yes, we'd really be wanting to play them in offline mode ideally. We would of course update any games fully before going to the party. The problem is that a lot of Steam games disabled multiplayer in offline mode. I should probably have asked if anyone knew which games allowed multiplayer in offline mode.

Last edited by Forek: 04-24-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Forek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forek View Post
I should probably have asked if anyone knew which games allowed multiplayer in offline mode.
Most of Valves games do. When we used to have LANs (and advised people to turn up in offline mode just in case!) we had a time when the internet was rubbish, so we ended up mostly playing TF2 and DOD:S.

Any game that supports LAN play should work with no internet connection.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
chrischameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledow View Post
I think your problem won't be games supporting LAN play, but trying to get that many people onto Steam offline mode at the same time and then expecting to play them. It sounds like a recipe for disaster, if I'm honest, and I actually think offline mode works quite well.

Even LAN-based games will need Steam authentication and the only way around it is to put everyone in offline mode first. You'll see from these forums just how successful people are at doing that. If you don't do it, you can't play any Steam game - so that player might well have not turned up.

And trying to get them *online* would also be pretty hard without a decent connection. It only needs one person there to receive a single update to a single game (or anything else that generates traffic) and everyone else will struggle to stay online and get their games authenticated when they run them. You also better hope that the game you intend to play doesn't update at that point either, because then you'll all need to download a huge update before Steam will let you run it (and after that it won't even work in offline mode until you update!).

There are games on Steam that can do local LAN play but, honestly, your problem is not the game but Steam here.
To enter offline mode all you have to do is enter it when online, works for me all the time without any problems.

Also games that I would suggest for a lan party would be FreeCiv (which is free) Serious Sam 3 (even has split screen) BF2 (best ever) and last but not least TF2.

Last edited by chrischameleon: 04-24-2012 at 06:23 AM.
chrischameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Ciryaher

These are the steam games that I have tested to work in offline Multiplayer:
All Source Engine Games (Portal 2 only via console)
Terraria
Borderlands
UT3
Star Wars Battlefront II

Some Games with Lan option won't work, like Homefront and Brink or Duke Nukem Forever (They all need a connection to the Steam Communty Server).

MW3 has a LAN option in Server Browser and won't work offline too (tested it during the free weekend)

basicly you can say that if a Game uses Steamworks for multiplayer it won't work offline. Except Borderlands/UT3 which had Steam Achievements added later (Game still uses Gamespy for Multiplayer) and Source Engine Games (Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, L4D, CSS...)

Last edited by Ciryaher: 04-24-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Ciryaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Tryp

Worms! The ultimate lan party games.
Tryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Dumpface

Iron Grip: Warlord.

Also, for offline mode to work, I'm fairly certain you have to have 'remember my password' ticked in the steam login, and have logged in with that setting active. Offline Mode seems to work flawlessly if you do that.
Dumpface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
Tryp

You know what was fun...System Shock 2, lan multiplayer, with two other people, each taking one profession.

AWESOME gaming experience.
Tryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:50 AM   #11
brabee

But when the game is launched, then it works by itself no? I mean, it doesnt need Steam to be told whether it can utilize LAN or whatever? I might be wrong though.
brabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #12
Scared

Before leaving for the lan set Steam to 'Go Offline' and then offline mode will work 99% of the time. I have played CSS via offline mode/lan so I know that one works.
Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
Rahab_mx

what kind of game genres are you interested in?
but to name a few games

Red Faction guerrilla
Dirt series
any valve game
Cod 2, 4 and 5
Hawx 1
World in Conflict
Rainbow six vegas 2
Operation flashpoint 2 dragon rising
Halo CE (Still a blast)
Unreal tournament games
Borderlands