Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wargame: European Escalation

Old 04-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
jefferobertson

Artillery should be able to fire smoke

I don't know if the developers take suggestions from this forum. But if they do they should add smoke to the game.

Although High Explosives look cool a major use of artillery (for both attach and defense) is to fire smoke. It is useful to isolate a position when attacking and to break up an attacking formation when defending (vehicles cannot move as fast). The silhouette of a dark vehicle on a white smoke background also makes the target easier to hit.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Czechsix

Yeah, it's been talked about a bit on the forums, but it's probably not going to happen. From what I understand they're worried about the lag from smoke..lots of folks apparently have to play on low settings. There are lots of things missing from the game, at least if they're trying to call it a simulation. Then again, patches are coming out and that's a good thing. It'll be interesting to see where it goes.
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
PuppyFiddler

Fair enough if it's too expensive to run it they might as well do it properly or not at all. Would really make the game if it had it though.

CoH has it...then again Coh feels like fighting in a shoe box after playing WEE.
PuppyFiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
Hidden Gunman

Cluster and chem munitions as well. Big things in the '80's.
Hidden Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
cheese2134

Actualy many of the tanks of the time were able to make their own smoke screen .
cheese2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
PuppyFiddler

Considering the amount of smoke thrown off by burning villages,forests and flares it has to be a gameplay decision more than technical.
PuppyFiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Ace Quat

i miss smoke canisters/launchers in this game too. would be pretty useful for infantry squads in the open to conceal their movement, otherwise infantry gets 'sniped' way too easily when not in heavy cover like buildings or forests
Ace Quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
jefferobertson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFiddler View Post
Considering the amount of smoke thrown off by burning villages,forests and flares it has to be a gameplay decision more than technical.
If it is a gameplay decision perhaps the game host should have the option to turn certain "reality" settings on or off.
jefferobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Remair

I agree this is one thing that would be nice, so many uses of smoke.

I imagine it would take a fair bit of time to implement properly and balance but would make for some nice tactics. Nothing like a massive smoke barrage to make your tiny diversion attack look serious.
Remair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Hidden Gunman

The standard loadouts never included a lot of smoke rounds for artillery...generally around 5 or 8 rounds per 40 or 50 per gun. After doing some research, I'm convinced that the devs factored cluster and FAE munitions in through the 'accuracy' rating of various weapons...which is one way to do so, but I think it skews the results and impact of the artillery on the game (to a lesser rather than greater effect).

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the way artillery works in the game is actually pretty much opposite to real life results. The first rounds landing in a target zone do the most damage, which tapers off after that, but in the game the longer the shelling goes on, the more damage that occurs.

No issue, it balances out in-game, but if that is the consideration then give the gunners small arms and grenades to take on the helo borne infantry which inevitably appear in the rear areas. Fair is fair.
Hidden Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Wargame: European Escalation