Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series

Old 04-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #16
Mason1729

Why does it matter? Not everyone pre-orders games solely to get bonus extra content for it.
Mason1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #17
Neriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason1729 View Post
Why does it matter? Not everyone pre-orders games solely to get bonus extra content for it.
Hey now, them's fightin' words.
Neriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #18
Steppenw0lf

Banned
But without extra stuff/discount and with digital distribution ... where is the point in preordering?
Steppenw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #19
samaron

im pre purchaseing the 4 back. that way me and my pals can play together and each with the classic torchlight game. plus for the use name verashkhal ya on whats the point of pre purchase. pre purchase is like wurzel_pummage said you can give the first torchlight to a friend that doesn't own it or played it yet. also for some ppl that havent played torchlight 1 but the 2nd one is coming out the can prepurchase it to quickly get a free copy of torchlight instead of paying total of 35 bucks for both torchlight 1 and 2.
samaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #20
Inquisitioner

They maybe could have added a TF2 hat at least...
Inquisitioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #21
Monkeydrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Man X View Post
Wrong and right. Yes what you said is true but it is not the only reason to pre-order. It also allows you to get the game quicker. You can pay it off before launch and then just walk in and pick it up. There is no reason to guarantee your copy by the way, as there will always be more copies for you to get later. It is to guarantee you get it day one. If steam didn't do pre-orders there would be alot of upset gamers. I like having bonuses yes but I like having the game ready to go and paid for even more.
If you're talking about pre-load, not every game has it. Torchlight 2 probably will have it, but it's not like it's going to be a massive game anyways. If that's not what you're talking about, I don't know. How long does it take you to pay for a game on steam? lol
Monkeydrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #22
Mason1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenw0lf View Post
But without extra stuff/discount and with digital distribution ... where is the point in preordering?
If you have the time and money now, where is the point in waiting for release date to buy?

Not everyone needs an exclusive hat or item to feel incentive to preorder. Some people, like me, preorder because we simply want the game, and to get it over and done with.

Last edited by Mason1729: 04-26-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Mason1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #23
Joan-Michele

I should point out that the Steam servers tend to crap out when a really hyped up and sought out game gets released on Steam. It happened with the Serious Sam 3 launch and the 2011 Christmas Sale. Pre-Ordering avoids the possibility of your order being lost in limbo while the servers try to process a million other simultaneous orders.
Joan-Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #24
Minaxter

How about supporting a developer that cares more about there customers than the almighty dollar? Make games for the love of making games?

Consider the fact that the first torchlight was 20 bucks, and you could get hours and hours of fun out of that game without multi-player. They now release a second game after all the success of the first game. They give it multi-player, they make it much larger and more diverse, and they still only charge you 20 bucks.

Twenty bucks for most gamers is a drop in a bucket, and I know for a fact I'll get my moneys worth.

Generally I go by the $1 = 1 hour of game-play rule. If I bought torchlight 2, and never played it, I'd still have got my moneys worth from runic just out of torchlight 1.

Support developers that don't view you as a cash cow, and want to make great games for your entertainment.
Minaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #25
FstyMcBeefpunch

thought about getting it on steam, but then I got an email from Perfect World saying if you preorder from them, you get closed beta access to the Neverwinter MMO... I guess that might be an incentive for some people
FstyMcBeefpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #26
in.meinem.turm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minaxter View Post
Generally I go by the $1 = 1 hour of game-play rule. If I bought torchlight 2, and never played it, I'd still have got my moneys worth from runic just out of torchlight 1.
I could buy several copies of TL2 if I went by that rule. And that includes the price of TL1 as well.
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #27
spyrochaete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetusGeekus View Post
We were promised multiplayer in T1 with "Hey, support us now and we'll give it to you free later."
They never said that. Runic said their next project would be a free-to-play Torchlight MMO and the first game was just a little single player game to help fund their long term goals. I don't know what the status of the MMO is.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #28
ititj

It's not that I'm selfish (well, maybe) but I don't pre-order when the bonus is simply a copy of previous game(s) in the series. If I'm gonna pre-order, I want the bonus to be something that I get to take advantage of. Besides, with this game coming out AFTER Diablo III, I don't even see a reason to buy it until I get bored with D3.

If the pre-order bonus was something cooler like TF2 tie-ins I'd be more inclined to get it now since thats not something I'd get to take advantage of later. I love Torchlight 1, and it's unfortunate that dev wrapped up on this game around the same time as D3, but since D3 is coming first, Runic really needs to give me a reason to buy this one now.
ititj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #29
FstyMcBeefpunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ititj View Post
If I'm gonna pre-order, I want the bonus to be something that I get to take advantage of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstyMcBeefpunch View Post
I got an email from Perfect World saying if you preorder from them, you get closed beta access to the Neverwinter MMO...
I dunno... that's something at least.
FstyMcBeefpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #30
halororor

I have to agree, I don't see any reason to preorder this. Might as well just hold off until release day. Not going to throw money at something that has such boring incentives if I don't even have any idea when it's coming out yet.

I'm too scared I preorder and two weeks down the line they tell us it's been delayed by another month or two.

Last edited by halororor: 04-26-2012 at 03:13 PM.
halororor is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series