Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series

Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #31
Graeystone

What incentives could Runic give?
A physical item like a coffee-mug, action figure, or t-shirt.
Problem - Those things cost money and Runic doesn't have the money for such things now.

An exclusive in-game item.
Problem - Like TL1, TL2 is going to be big with modding. An exclusive in-game item will be turned into a mod by someone and spread around. In other words, it would be a complete waste of time. . .and no Runic would not 'lock out' the in-game item from the modders.

A DLC-
Problem - Excuse me while I go hide behind a wall while the Pro-DLC vs. Anti-DLC war starts up.
Graeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #32
Neriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeystone View Post
A DLC-
Problem - Excuse me while I go hide behind a wall while the Pro-DLC vs. Anti-DLC war starts up.
I should just play Fallout for the full experience. Jesus, was that necessary?
Neriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #33
verashkhal

Quote:
Problem - Those things cost money and Runic doesn't have the money for such things now.

Problem - Like TL1, TL2 is going to be big with modding. An exclusive in-game item will be turned into a mod by someone and spread around. In other words, it would be a complete waste of time. . .and no Runic would not 'lock out' the in-game item from the modders.

A DLC-
How about something even better like early access to the game, or guaranteed beta access?

You buy a pre-purchase on Steam, and you are essentially investing in a product that doesn't exist yet. It's not like Amazon where I pre-order and my money is taken when they ship it. I expect something in return if I'm going to boost a company's sales prior to them even announcing a release date.

So sure, if you never purchased Torchlight, then this is a decent offer. But for the huge number of people that *have* already purchased Torchlight, there is no reason to spend $20 today when I can spend $20 at launch for the *exact* same product.

Mostly, I just wanted to see if I had missed something that made it worth pre-purchasing. Something like early access, beta, etc...

Sounds like I didn't, so I'll hold off until it launches.
verashkhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #34
GamerOnline

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but pre-purchasing gives the developers early income from the game. This could help them to release the game early (on time, July according to the pre-purchase page) with the extra/early funding.
GamerOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #35
jbranin

Free copy of Torchlight was enough for me. Especially after playing Diablo 3 beta. $20 is a bargain for 2 games.
jbranin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #36
FetusZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerOnline View Post
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but pre-purchasing gives the developers early income from the game. This could help them to release the game early (on time, July according to the pre-purchase page) with the extra/early funding.
This indeed.

And also pre-loading, only if this is the case with Torchlight II though, I haven't bought many games which had pre-loading (and anyway it takes pretty much as much time to download it as it takes to decrypt it).

Or maybe you have the money NOW, so you can afford it at the moment, doesn't mean you'll be able to afford it on release. Securing your copy early is a good enough reason for many of us, not everyone can wake up one day and decide to throw $20 out there. That $20 may be needed to pay bills, rent, food, or in other words it may be needed to live on the release month. The same way that when I pre-order a retail game, I always pay it off right away, that way I won't have to worry about paying it later down the road when it releases.

Or maybe you'd like to gift the first game to a friend, which is also a pretty good reason.

Or maybe, just maybe, you simply feel like pre-ordering it for pre-ordering it. That's probably the best reason of them all.

I think that's enough reasons whether you have bonus items or not. Even if they had extra bonuses, there would be people asking the same question regarding the bonus items anyway.
FetusZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #37
FstyMcBeefpunch

Quote:

A DLC-
again...

I got an email from Perfect World saying if you preorder from them, you get closed beta access to the Neverwinter MMO...
FstyMcBeefpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #38
Jinxer217

I guess the TC already has Torchlight 1.... And he forgets that other people dont....
Jinxer217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #39
Simian_

To me, the point is to support the developers. From what little I know, pre-orders can potentially help out a lot with costs in the final stages up to a game's release, and they can relieve a lot of the stress and pressure that may have built up during the game's long and costly development.
Simian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #40
AgainstYT

I agree with OP. No preorder discount. Lousy bonus gift (my opinion). Release date still uncertain, so no preloading for now. No beta early access or anything like that. Not even a TF2 hat! These are the only reasons to preorder games. Without bonuses you're essentially giving Steam/Remedy an interest-free loan by preordering. As much as I am looking forward to this game, without a better incentive or at least a firm release date I'm gonna hold off.

Last edited by AgainstYT: 04-28-2012 at 05:56 PM.
AgainstYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #41
RavN

You know you can preorder because you just want to preorder a product? Thats the way it works for most products and used to be for games as well. Preorder bonuses should be optional and depend on the game. They are supposed to be a free gift or bonus. I would rather have no preorder bonus (because preordering is stupid anyways) then have people get some sort of exclusive dlc that I will never have because I choose not to preorder.

I guess I'm ok with cosmetic items and stupid TF2 hats :P
RavN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #42
Tripiṭaka

Where you are in the role of a patron it makes sense to preorder.

Where you are in the role of consumer it doesn't.

Simple as that.
Tripiṭaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #43
Amy

AS long there's no exclusive clothes for pre-order at different stores i will be happy to get it
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #44
Minaxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ititj View Post
If the pre-order bonus was something cooler like TF2 tie-ins
Tell you what. Cancel your Diablo preorder. Head down to your local dollar store. you can now buy 60 different types of hats. You can then arrange them by colour, and build a little fortress out of them.

Theres nothing more satisfying than hat fortress.
Minaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #45
Hi2u! Tw1TcH

So, there would be a ton of complaints (even a few threads previously made) if they don't offer it for a preorder.

Hell there's even threads asking for ways to give the devs more money.

And, there are now complaints about it being available for preorder. As much as someone would like to argue about no incentive, that is ludicrous. You get a copy of TL1 for free, and if you already own it can give it to your friend. Could probably even trade it for some TF2 hats or something.

Clear case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

I for one am glad they don't have any of the day1-DLC or exclusivity nonsense going on. It's only $19.99 with a free copy of TL1, if you find something to complain about in there then I'm at a loss for words.
Hi2u! Tw1TcH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series