Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > A Valley Without Wind

Old 04-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
KDR_11k

They're hidden in buildings and caverns and aren't all that common. Specifically they can appear in two kinds of places: The regular secret mission entrances can seed a rescue mission but that isn't too common. There are also more rare rescue mission entrances, these will always seed a rescue mission when you encounter them but they will never produce another mission once you win or lose the one they gave you.
KDR_11k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
paul1290

Another one.

Don't blindly persist too much.

If something is proving extremely difficult, is causing you multiple deaths, or is proving to be excessively time consuming, don't just blindly keep persisting at it.

Stop, back up, and take a moment to think things over before continuing.

There's a good chance there's a better way to do what you are trying to do or there are alternative options.
paul1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #18
NanostrikeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWhiteMage View Post
My question is involving the NPCs, the BHE says you find them random missions to save them and add them to your settlement, but I have yet to encounter anything of the sort. Are the mission hidden in buildings or am I looking in the wrong places?
They're extremely rare. From what I can tell, there are two places that can spawn them:

1) Caverns. The deeper, the better the chance. I see them on Caverns 2 all the time.

2) Inside BIG buildings. Pyramids, Townhouses, Ice Age Buildings, ect. Small ones almost NEVER have one, but big ones often will, clear in the back.

3) A Guardian Power can make them show up as the main missions, once you get the proper scroll.

Due to some areas not having big buildings at all (Skelebot Junkyard, ect), Caverns are your only real option in many areas.
NanostrikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #19
Lokarin

Is there any reason to horde Enchants?

I have about a dozen Niche Air and Power Leg enchants of various qualities (one is even green text) and don't know if I should just toss the weak ones or if there's some sort of crafting I might need it for.
Lokarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:34 AM   #20
Zipster

Maybe I'm just lucky, but in the last 5 secret missions I've found, 3 of them were rescues. I didn't notice any specific pattern to their location either, other than I didn't see them until tier 2 (if that has anything to do with it).
Zipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #21
KDR_11k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokarin View Post
Is there any reason to horde Enchants?

I have about a dozen Niche Air and Power Leg enchants of various qualities (one is even green text) and don't know if I should just toss the weak ones or if there's some sort of crafting I might need it for.
There's no crafting for them. If you've updated to the latest (beta) version you should be able to scrap unneeded enchants for more enchant progress.
KDR_11k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #22
Levi

Piece of advice: There ARE exploding barrels and they WILL kill you if you try to mine them.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #23
Lokarin

How do you get the beta updates? I remember it was quite easy to do in AI: War (it's right on the main menu), but I'm not seeing a beta update in any of the menus.

+Hey what? It "just" appeared, just now, on the main menu... I'm thinking it might have been a firewall issue.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #24
Levi

More questions!

I got an enchantment called Power Slide, but I haven't noticed it doing anything when equipped. Anybody happen to know what this one does?

Also, there is a mission called "Meteor swarm" or something like that. Is there a trick to this mission? I don't seem able to out-damage the meteors(I just barely managed to kill one of the meteors with some lucky hits of my biggest spell), so am I supposed to just kill the monsters as quickly as possible and hope that the meteors don't destroy everything?

I managed to beat it once(with like two boxes remaining), but it seems more about me being lucky than anything else.

Edit: Oh, and a third question. I'm almost ready to go beat up the overlord and move to the next continent. I think I lose everything in my storage when I do that, so should I spend it all on spells first?

Last edited by Levi: 04-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #25
paul1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I got an enchantment called Power Slide, but I haven't noticed it doing anything when equipped. Anybody happen to know what this one does?

Also, there is a mission called "Meteor swarm" or something like that. Is there a trick to this mission? I don't seem able to out-damage the meteors(I just barely managed to kill one of the meteors with some lucky hits of my biggest spell), so am I supposed to just kill the monsters as quickly as possible and hope that the meteors don't destroy everything?

I managed to beat it once(with like two boxes remaining), but it seems more about me being lucky than anything else.
Power Slide allows you to slide while crouching.

It's most useful when used in combination with Storm Dash. If you crouch you'll be able to slide along and keep your momentum from Storm Dash for a while without taking extra damage from enemies.

It's also another way to get into the smaller passages in basements, but use caution if you don't have shrink because you can get yourself stuck down there.

For Meteor Swarm you usually need a spell that knocks back the meteors rather than damaging them.
Ball Lightning does well for this. It doesn't have to be upgraded since you're looking for knockback rather than damage.
paul1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #26
Levi

Ahhh. Okay, thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #27
setzway

Hey, can anyone clarify for me if the shield spells deal damage? I guess I was under the assumption that the shield spells, such as fire shield, would do damage on top of reducing damage. In the stats pane it say how much magic power it has, which correlates to how much damage it can absorb, then it lists how much damage it does. I was kinda hoping it would deal damage too, ended up getting fire shield up to level 4 hoping to help me out in tier 4.
setzway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #28
tigersfan

Arcen Games, LLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by setzway View Post
Hey, can anyone clarify for me if the shield spells deal damage? I guess I was under the assumption that the shield spells, such as fire shield, would do damage on top of reducing damage. In the stats pane it say how much magic power it has, which correlates to how much damage it can absorb, then it lists how much damage it does. I was kinda hoping it would deal damage too, ended up getting fire shield up to level 4 hoping to help me out in tier 4.
Nope, the don't. Sorry. They just protect you.
tigersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #29
setzway

Ah okay. That's fine really, would have been nice but I am really loving using a shield spell. I have a 50% mana reduction enchant so I can leave it on for quite awhile. Then, since I dumped points into mana, I can get off a few Launch Boulder T3 or one Creeping Death T3 with the shield on. Then run away with the 5 seconds left and turn it off, 3 seconds later I'm at full mana again.

So far it's been incredibly useful for getting past enemies or other dangerous areas, although it doesn't protect you from acid water damage. I'll have to try water shield to see if that makes a difference.
setzway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #30
Lokarin

I'm about to clear the second continent and have the following tips to add

1. If you like to clear your civilization zone, make sure you don't kill your minions... I could build buildings because I killed all my citizens. (Until I rescued a few more)

2. Material doesn't carry over continents, but you don't actually need that much. It's better to pick 2~5 favourite spells and make a shopping list of exactly how much Coral/Copper Ingot/Jade/Etc. (Forest Rage 5 / Ball Lightning 5 /Miasma Whip 3 / Flash of Light 3 / Storm Dash 2 for example) you need and then bonk some missions. There's a mission "Essence" for every element and it's unreasonable to get all of them in the space allotted since they aren't always available.

3. Stealth is very powerful. Even 1% detection adds the scan lines to enemies, preventing many a death due to exploratory jumping. 50% detection shortens most lines of sight so much that you don't even need to fight trash mobs anymore. The only penalty is the lack of a light source which is why I recommend Flash of Light.

4. Adjust your spell composition based on the mission rewards. Secret Missions are a grab bag so you can do them whenever, but if your mission list contains 20~30 buildings as rewards and no Essences then you have to change your spells around. Forest Rage for example needs a LOT of Green Essence, but spells like Leafy Whip just needs Cherries (farmable)

5. Although this is likely to be patched out - If you can find a Path to Perfection (Building) mission, feel free to fail it on purpose just to farm the very easy access enchant material. Stealth Enchants help

6. Ride the Lightning cannot be used on Path to Perfection missions, you'll get missiled (quite awesomely, too), but Storm Fist lets you rocket jump freely to victory.

7. Enchants and effects that change your damage, cooldowns, or mana costs will be automatically reflected in your spell tooltips.

8. If you play like me you'll need a lot of Coral, they're extra hard to reach if you don't have a good gill or buoys. Stealth is a boon against the Sea Worms, but the other enemies here have very high line of sight so picking between Stealth, Light and Gills is a hard choice. (Wouldn't be if Gills went on the otherwise useless head slot, but that's beside the point).

9. Utahraptors are just as annoying as I'd imagine them to be in real life - good thing they can't open doors.

10. Hotkey something to Q, F, G, V and other central keys. By default only Q is used and it's used to remove your TAB targeting. If you rarely use TAB targeting you can remap that to something too.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > A Valley Without Wind