Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sniper Elite series > Sniper Elite V2

Old 04-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
ferrit

So... Bullet drop.

Is it just me that feels that the bullet drop in game is a little too severe??

Yeah yeah i know it's a game but.

Quote:
Key features:
Sniping Simulation - Sniper Elite V2 features detailed sniping simulation with advanced ballistics, taking into account gravity, wind, velocity, bullet penetration, aim stability and more. Guaranteed to provide players with the most realistic simulation of military sharpshooting yet available.
Shots at around the 100 metre mark have to be compencated for due to the drop effect.

In reality shots at around the 100 metre mark have no bullet drop to take into consideration.

Can't be due to the weapons they had back then, as a modern rifle's muzzle velocity is not that different to what a M1903 had.

TL;DR

Too much bullet drop for shots around the 100 metre mark! Of which their are a fair few in the demo.

-EDIT-

didnt see this post.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2669263

Last edited by ferrit: 04-26-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
poodlemeister

A developer commented that on average, the urban combat sniper was taking shots up to and around 250 meters, at which point there is no bullet drop (usually with these rifles, bullet drop wouldn't be taken into account until and past 400 some odd meters)

HOWEVER

to add challenge, the developers put an exaggerated ballistics system but its more for challenge than realism

I don't mind it, I like the challenge, especially without the aids and being able to pinpoint a headshot on the enemy snipers with no visual aid? Very satisfying

As for the realism aspect, yeah...but it would be boring to be walking around 2km open field maps...just my opinion
poodlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
ferrit

Makes sence i suppose.
ferrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
jimrad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlemeister View Post
A developer commented that on average, the urban combat sniper was taking shots up to and around 250 meters, at which point there is no bullet drop (usually with these rifles, bullet drop wouldn't be taken into account until and past 400 some odd meters)

HOWEVER

to add challenge, the developers put an exaggerated ballistics system but its more for challenge than realism

I don't mind it, I like the challenge, especially without the aids and being able to pinpoint a headshot on the enemy snipers with no visual aid? Very satisfying

As for the realism aspect, yeah...but it would be boring to be walking around 2km open field maps...just my opinion
Instead of the exaggerated bullet drop, having ai that take even better cover would of added both challenge and realism. Bullet drop was no doubt easier to program than a more complex AI scheme. I think you can have game play and realism in the same game.
jimrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Elenoe

Bullet drop is there since bullet left barrel. With "normal" magazines like .308 (7.62x51mm) has -1.5inch at first 100yards. Also.. please note, that scope is never in the same line as barrel.

It is always mounted above barrel and ALWAYS pointing down so you have zero line at usually 250/300yards. So.. for distances between 0-40yards you shoot below crosshair because of scope mounts. At 40-300 you shoot ABOVE cross, up to +5inches at 170yards. At 300 it's zero lined again and then it shoots below. -60inches at 600yards.

Last edited by Elenoe: 04-28-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Elenoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
BensonTito

Banned
Its probably not that realistic in terms of bullet drop, no. I guess we just have to use our imaginations a little and allow them to bend the rules in order to introduce a gameplay device.

Having said that, I'm now thinking of the same game with ultra sized maps, so they don't have to bend any rules...:O Would of been awesome, but it looks doubtful now. This is the sort of scale we should expect.
BensonTito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
JonahV

while i don't really have a problem with the amount of bullet drop, it does seem to be inconsistent at further distances (IE. the first sniper in the demo, sometimes the bullet drop for his position will be 1 1/4 tick, 1 1/2 ticks or 2 ticks)
I might just be imagining things, but it definitely seems to be a little all over the place.
JonahV is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sniper Elite series > Sniper Elite V2