Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2

Old 04-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
acfreak45

Unhappy Spray troubles

Hey guys, so this is a pretty minor problem but i would still like to get it straightended out, so here's what happens, i import my spray from my pictures folder and it stays there rest of that play session but if i quit the game and relaunch it it jus goes back to the default coach spray and i have to re import the whole spray. proboably shuld mention i validated the steam files cause my game wasnt workin like right before this started happening. this spray bug doesent seem to occur on any of my other games jus this one after validating the files. cause before on this game my spray would save and i shouldnt have to re import anything.

but ya if anyone has a solution to this problem plz comment thanks!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Lemmers

I've found that having two folders for my sprays works best to avoid the game glitching or resetting them. One folder has only 256x256 size sprays, the other has only 512x512 sprays. When I had all of my sprays mixed together and I picked a larger size spray for my default, it would keep on resetting it to one of the smaller sized ones.

But if I were you, I'd made a new folder somewhere in your Left 4 Dead 2 directory (so it doesn't move around your desktop or documents folder) and put only the spray file you want to use in that folder. Then import it, play a session and see if it still gets reset when the game reboots.

Maybe it's just superstition on my part, but if you had the same strange bug I had, this might help you. I deal mainly in .vtf sprays, not with importing .jpg though.
Lemmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
FapJak

Banned
Make sure the sprays and the game are on the same disk. I assure you having multiple sprays and other picture formats is not a problem as it works perfectly for me.
FapJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
acfreak45

Ok i tried puttin the spray in a different folder and puttin it in my L4D2 directory and playin a game, no luck still went back to the default valve spray after relaunching the game....
acfreak45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
FapJak

Banned
Turn off steam cloud and try again!
FapJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
JezMM

I had this problem on Left 4 Dead 1, and it all started after I played a game on someone else's computer and passed over the multiplayer menu. Since then Billspray has been assimilating all my sprays (I even have to rename them every time I reimport, or else it just loads up the "overwritten" Bill spray).

Thanks for the tip FapJak, I'll try that out.
JezMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
acfreak45

i havent tried that yet thank you i will certainly try it
Old 04-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
acfreak45

Tried disabling steam cloud no luck..
Old 04-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #9
Animositisomina

Right-click the image file, go to Properties, mark as Read Only.
Animositisomina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
acfreak45

tried that also still no luck, still goes back to default spray when i quit the game.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
Animositisomina

Strange, indeed. That always works for me. No idea what the issue is then.
Animositisomina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #12
CurbDog

Are you sure you haven't installed/built a config file somewhere which might have snuck in a command to set the default spray?
CurbDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
acfreak45

its possible but how would i check that.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
CurbDog

Okay, did some research. The command in question is: cl_logofile
In the folder we went to open config.cfg (if it asks what to use you can select notepad as it's just a text file).

Now do CTRL+F and search for cl_logofile. Immediately after that will be a path and name of the file that L4D2 thinks is your selected spray. Mine says: "materials/vgui/logos/spray_stencil_gnome_01.vtf"

If it doesn't say your custom spray then this seems to indicate that it's being reset. Now the tricky part is identifying what is resetting it.

All I can suggest is to open other config files (start with autoexec.cfg if it exists) and see if there is any mention of cl_logofile in them. These may be running when you first start the game and resetting your in game selection.

That's about all I can offer. It's a long shot. L4D might be doing something silly in the background that I'd have no clue about. Give it a try.
CurbDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #15
RugbyOddjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbDog View Post
Okay, did some research. The command in question is: cl_logofile
In the folder we went to open config.cfg (if it asks what to use you can select notepad as it's just a text file).

Now do CTRL+F and search for cl_logofile. Immediately after that will be a path and name of the file that L4D2 thinks is your selected spray. Mine says: "materials/vgui/logos/spray_stencil_gnome_01.vtf"
.........................snipped to save space.
About a week ago I lost the ability to change my sprays (and I change my spray every round to suit the game we're having and just for the lulz). So it's a pain in the azz not having this option.

I can go into multiplayer options, import spray, select my spray from the Sprays folder I created eons ago and that has never caused any issues, but I don't get to see the new spray appear in the current spray part of the options screen.
  • I have tried the above suggestion (quoted) to get a new standard spray. No joy
  • I've tried vtf and tga (that both worked fine until a week ago) No joy
  • I've moved all my sprays into the usual target folder "materials, logo etc." in my config. No joy
  • I have tried sizes varying from 86kb to 257kb. No joy
  • I have removed the coach stencil spray. No joy (just no spray in game)

Any ideas?

TL : DR - You're on a forum. Read it
RugbyOddjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2