Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 04-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
InsaneGuyOfDoom

Future DLC Ideas

In the "Portal 2 Bonus Round Video" VALVe said there would be more DLC after The Perpetual Testing Initiative. I noticed we have multiple "Portal 3 ideas" topics, so I thought, why not one where we could speculate on future DLC?

Here are some ideas of mine.

"Wheatley's Lament"
-New Co-op Campaign, The Rescue: GLaDOS sends ATLAS and P-Body to the Aperture Science Lunar Processing and Collection Center on a "rescue mission". She's has decided just letting Wheatley float painlessly through space isn't a good enough punishment, and has a new idea in mind. A new testing element, the Aperture Science Gravitational Liberator (zero-gravity test chambers), is introduced as well.

-New Single Player Campaign, The Revenge: Taking place shortly after The Rescue, Wheatley is returned to the enrichment center and is installed in a new chassis similar to ATLAS' in order to test. As it's GLaDOS' revenge, a new, sadistic element is added. In many of the test chambers Wheatley must kill himself, then get rebuilt, to proceed (for example using his destroyed body to clog some gears and open up a path to the exit). This would also allow VALVe to experiment with idea of a voiced protagonist.

Through dumb luck and some explosions, Wheatley manages to escape, but his new chassis is destroyed in the process, leaving him just as stranded as before except in a wheat field instead of in space.

"Further Study"
-Advanced Test Chambers: Brought back from the original Portal, advanced versions of select co-op and single player maps are added.

-Map Editor Update: Co-op courses can now be created. Also there are now multiple different skin options for the test chambers such as Destroyed, Old Aperture and Wheatley Laboratories. The new testing elements from Wheatley's Lament would be added to the editor as well.

"Ancient History"
-New Single Player Campaign, The Lab Rat: A prequel explaining what happened to Doug Rattmann between the events of Lab Rat and Portal 2. Some of the cut cores talked about at GDC could make an appearance.

-New Co-op Campaign, The Expedition: GLaDOS sends ATLAS and P-Body into Old Aperture to gather data on humans. Cave Johnson's pre-recorded messages return, and adhesion gel is added (now used to make items stick together, instead of for walking on walls).
Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Xpectro

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneGuyOfDoom View Post
"Wheatley's Lament"
-New Co-op Campaign, The Rescue: GLaDOS sends ATLAS and P-Body to the Aperture Science Lunar Processing and Collection Center on a "rescue mission". She's has decided just letting Wheatley float painlessly through space isn't a good enough punishment, and has a new idea in mind. A new testing element, the Aperture Science Gravitational Liberator (zero-gravity test chambers), is introduced as well.

-New Single Player Campaign, The Revenge: Taking place shortly after The Rescue, Wheatley is returned to the enrichment center and is installed in a new chassis similar to ATLAS' in order to test. As it's GLaDOS' revenge, a new, sadistic element is added. In many of the test chambers Wheatley must kill himself, then get rebuilt, to proceed (for example using his destroyed body to clog some gears and open up a path to the exit). This would also allow VALVe to experiment with idea of a voiced protagonist.
The return of Wheatley seems too ambitious for a DLC. But I support the SP DLC concept, people WANT it and not only co-op.
Xpectro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
Hajuzza

Since I played the co-op levels in the old Aperture, i've wanted something like this:

A whole co op campaign set in the old Aperture times, both players playing as a homeless person (as you can tell Aperture hired homeless people to do their testing by the single player old Aperture chapter) with that huge Aperture Science Portable Quantum Tunneling Device on their backs like seen in the posters. The players faces would be somehow covered so it would make sense that when a player dies, Aperture just sends a new homeless person to do the job instead of the same person appearing over and over again. I would love to hear some more Caves ramblings and see the Old Aperture before it was abandoned and it was still fully functional.
Hajuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Stric_Matic

Problem is, making a story-driven SP dlc would demand a crapload of resources (all the voice acting and new animations for Wheatley, GladOS or a new NPC character), almost a bit too much for a free dlc. Also, Valve would likely have to come up with a very contrived or meaningless storyline. Wouldn't feel like a well thought-out storyline experience, more like a few extra chambers ''bolted'' to the retail game with a lazy plot excuse to bring Chell back to testing.

Will be interesting to see where Valve go with the Portal series - will they announce a sequel soon or will they decide to expand P2 with payable, story-driven dlc expansions for years in the future? I wouldn't mind that if they were well done and not overpriced.

What about SP dlc chambers that simply involve either Atlas or P-Body working on their own to prevent some further disaster to Aperture Labs? I know that they were built for ''cooperative testing'', but perhaps an emergency required they both get sent to different parts of the complex? And you get to play with both of them interchangeably? Would be a good excuse for extra SP content.

Last edited by Stric_Matic: 04-29-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Stric_Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Xpectro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stric_Matic View Post
Problem is, making a story-driven SP dlc would demand a crapload of resources (all the voice acting and new animations for Wheatley, GladOS or a new NPC character), almost a bit too much for a free dlc. Also, Valve would likely have to come up with a very contrived or meaningless storyline. Wouldn't feel like a well thought-out storyline experience, more like a few extra chambers ''bolted'' to the retail game with a lazy plot excuse to bring Chell back to testing.
That's a lot of assumptions right there. A nice sp dlc doesn't need more resources than peer review for example, and there is no need to bring back Chell again.
Xpectro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Qrome

Honestly, I wouldn't even care if singleplayer DLC didn't involve a story. It'd just be nice to have more official maps, preferably with a bit a new GLaDOS dialog to keep the testing from feeling so empty.
Qrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
WonderfulLizard

I had an idea for a Co-Op DLC a while ago called "Personal Reflection", which leads into my Portal 3 concept. The name allows for it to introduce a Reflective Gel testing element, but the name also makes sense if no such element is introduced. The plot is that GLaDOS determines that she's missing memories and that this could have a negative effect on her. She decides, as a consequence, to try to regain knowledge of the memory that she's missing... by playing back Atlas and P-Body's older memories, which she previously deactivated. As a result, we get a prequel of sorts to Co-Op, with running commentary from present!GLaDOS. We start in a chamber similar to the calibration course, but after a few simple chambers with GLaDOS, she "leaves to take care of something important" and Wheatley takes over. In the chaos, Atlas and P-Body escape, but are trapped by debris. GLaDOS fast-forwards the memory to several hours later, where Wheatley frees Atlas and P-Body unknowingly in setting up his Frankenturret factory. They wind up in Old Aperture, where they spend several chambers. (The further you get into the Old Aperture sections, the more present!GLaDOS censors your memories. She very quickly begins bleeping out instances of the words "Caroline" and "Cave Johnson", but pretty soon she's distorting all of the prerecorded messages from Cave and blurring some signs). Eventually they make their way back up (via the elevator Chell activated) and are quickly recruited by Wheatley. However, they soon escape, adding to Wheatley's angst in The Part Where He Kills You. They ultimately wind up assisting the Single-Player boss battle by helping PotatOS to get the cores to Chell - and she references being Caroline several times (though it's bleeped out). GLaDOS fast-forwards through the rest of the memories (including a brief shot of the Chell-waking scene from Atlas or P-Body's perspective) and informs the Co-Op bots that their memories were of absolutely no help, and will now be permanently deleted.
WonderfulLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
Zekiran

I just want ANY kind of single-player DLC. I have very few opportunities to play mp or coop on any game, so it's absolutely crap that nothing whatsoever was done for SP. I know I can't be the only one, I've seen the threads.

Not sure what kind of thing to even suggest, because I don't know what went on for the first dlc, as it not only came out while I didn't have net access, but was coop.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2