Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Sgorra Bhreac

Question More on System Specs

I have just upgraded my Dell Inspiron 530s on the advice of my local computer shop (in order to use TX2012 grpahics). That meant a RAM upgrade to 3GB (maximum for 32 bit Windows7) and a new Asus 6750 HD Graphics Card but I'm still suffering low fps rates and sometimes I just get a blank screen! The computer geeks reckoned I didn't need a processor upgrade from my current Intel Dual Core 2.33 Ghz 2.33 Ghz but now I'm not so sure. Would an upgrade to 2.8 or 3.0 Ghz make any difference?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
cbf36

Hi! I had to upgrade to an i7 motherboard, a 3.9 Ghz Processor, 8 GB Ram and the second best Radeon video card to get the newest RW routes to work properly. I'm sorry to say that your system looks a little weak in that you need a min imum of 4 Gb RAM, and I'm not sure whether the speed of your proessor upgrade will be fast enough. I'm sure others will comment further. I think that computer shop guys are thinking about requirements for the most common games, and really do not understand RW. I know my computer guy had to read about the newest RW for him-self, to understand what was needed. Cheers, and good luck. Chuck F.
cbf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
SouthernPacific

Sir,

The best advice that I can give is this, regardless of the software developer ensure you exceed the minimum requirement listed. When a software developer says minimum requirements, what they really mean is you will be barely able to run it and in most case that will not be to your satisfaction. Another thing to note is RW is a simulation and therefore very very hard on a processor vs the graphic card. A good graphics card will help dump some of the load off the main CPU but you really need a strong CPU, 6-8 Meg of RAM, Win 7 (64) to get the most out of your ram, and a good graphics card. Even then it will run smooth only most of the time.

This is my computer specifications is as follows...
Computer Manufacturer and Model: Gateway FX6840
Operating System Version: Windows 7 (64 bit)
Processor Vendor: Genuine Intel
Speed: 2925 Mhz
Logical Processors: 8
Physical processors: 4
HyperThreading: Supported
Ram: 8183 Mb
Video Card: FXF Radeon HD 6770
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x, 4x, 8x
Primary VRAM: 1024 Mb
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
Sound Card: Realtek High Def

Please note my processor is a quad-core I7, and the video is ran off a dedicated video card and is not using share RAM for the graphics. One more thing I personally don't believe you need obtain a solid 60+ frame rate a second to enjoy the game.

V/R
Mike
SouthernPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
arizonachris

Sgorra, the geeks were wrong. As SP said, Railworks right now is very CPU dependent, and that Intel 2.33 CPU is just not up to the task.

I don't know what board and socket you have, but tell those geeks to put the best CPU that will fit (and that you can afford). You now have a nice video card, the only other thing would be to get Win 7 64 bit and upgrade to 8Gb RAM. But change out the CPU first. Go at least a quad core.
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
culleydog34

you can get a very good experience with just 20fps, but yes the cpu needs to be upgraded, as stated in my other threads i am running an i7 2600k at 4.4 ghz and a xfx 7970 and times i can still stoop to 20fps on WCML , in my 4 months of experience playing this sim, the class 390 on the WCML is the pc killer of all download content
culleydog34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
md11lm

AZChris is correct, CPU Quad with at least 8GB, and at least 2.8Ghz or above.
Click here.

Clickity-clack,

Peter
md11lm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
Aussie_FX

Fast ram makes a big difference.

I rarely see any choppiness these days and it's always when loading a new tile.

I'm not so sure this game is that cpu dependent, sure it needs a good cpu but I see minimal gains from 4.2 up to 5.2GHz.

I really think what RS needs to do is get rid of some of the software dept hires and get in one guy who really understands multi-threading. Throwing people at the problem won't help, they just need to find the right person.

I would love to see the game physics offloaded from core0 to a parked core for starters.
Aussie_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
zm4r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_FX View Post
Fast ram makes a big difference.

I rarely see any choppiness these days and it's always when loading a new tile.

I'm not so sure this game is that cpu dependent, sure it needs a good cpu but I see minimal gains from 4.2 up to 5.2GHz.

I really think what RS needs to do is get rid of some of the software dept hires and get in one guy who really understands multi-threading. Throwing people at the problem won't help, they just need to find the right person.

I would love to see the game physics offloaded from core0 to a parked core for starters.

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing.
zm4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #9
Ericmopar

Hmmmm.
I've been monitoring what goes on on my XPS i5 2300, 6gb DDR3 ram and Asus GTX 550 Ti card and...
My card is very heavily loaded. Both the GPU which runs in the 95 - 99% range and uses most of the card's memory.
My CPU runs at about 2.9 GHz. It has "Turbo Boost" to 3.2 ghz when necessary.
My ram use never goes beyond 50%, which is 3gig of 6 total. That's the OS and sim together.
I can run on high settings with TSX although I see no real difference to medium settings.
Like others I get 30s to low 60s for framerates. Very dependent on the scenario. The only time I dropped below 25 fps, was when I had made up a train over 6000 ft(1828m)long and pulled into Barstow's main yard.
Also like others have said. There is no improvement in going over a locked framerate of 30fps. I wish RS would make that framerate lock something that would stick between game starts.
As far as the loading of my 4 processor cores. They are all being used about evenly. I can't vouch though, if that is the game, or the OS and game being divided among the cores.
Ericmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #10
md11lm

Understand your lack of belief whether TS2012 is cpu or gpu dependent, frankly, I believe both are needed, and more RAM certainly helps. But one opinion I have always felt, unlike FSX, where the objects nearby are quite small, whereas in TS, huge, i.e., buildings, roadways, tracks, and the video card has to move all the material pass your train - quick!

I.e., in route creation, the more memory used for a large yard in a given grid, then systems begin to heat up and fps drop, i.e., more freight cars throughout the yard, with locomotives in the shed. One has only look at how much each object, car or locomotive total memory of each, some which are way beyond 100mb, as in the case of one respondent, a mile or more long freight train, consider you may be using two or maybe, three grids at the same time.

Clickity-clack,

Peter

Last edited by md11lm: 04-30-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
zm4r

1. This is why I think RW needs more RAM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrashi...mputer_science)

2. When Hard Faults occur too frequently, the resulting disk reads will decrease system responsiveness, is probably the reason why we need a SSD.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...tag=rbxccnbtr1

3. Just don’t’ know or understand why Windows Memory Management can’t load everything in main memory by the time RW needs it.
Provided that there is sufficient RAM available of course.

4. Oops, sorry I just remembered, there are also windows x32 Railworks users.

5. RailworksProc2.exe cpu usage=14% System usage 21%
zm4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
Ericmopar

I'd like to know why Railworks apparently doesn't take advantage of more RAM.
I have plenty at 6 gigs, but it simply won't use it. I've looked and there aren't any processes other than win 7 X64 using it. Windows accounts for about 900 MB on my machine.
I did an experiment and reduced my page file, hoping the system would be forced to use the RAM, but that didn't work.
I did find out that way, that both windows and RW apparently use too much page file and way less RAM than is actually available, because when I reduced the page file space, I started to get some horrendous numbers of little freezes etc. Not just RW, but windows itself.
I noticed that on an old XP powered machine as well. It was 32 bit with 3 gig of RAM, and it would only use about 50% RAM before going to the page file.
A developer friend said his newer Acer, on Win 7 64 bit is the same way.

Bottom line is that, even with a 7200 rpm dedicated data HDD, a strong processor, and lots of memory RW won't preload enough of the needed program bits.
Or, maybe it's actually Windows that stubborn about using available RAM.

I'm not ready to spend on RAM, when the programs and/or Windows won't use more than half of whats available for some odd reason.
Before someone asks, I am on 64 bit Windows and my machine can address up to 32 gigabytes.

Last edited by Ericmopar: 04-30-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
md11lm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
I'd like to know why Railworks apparently doesn't take advantage of more RAM.
I have plenty at 6 gigs, but it simply won't use it. I've looked and there aren't any processes other than win 7 X64 using it. Windows accounts for about 900 MB on my machine.
I did an experiment and reduced my page file, hoping the system would be forced to use the RAM, but that didn't work.
I did find out that way, that both windows and RW apparently use too much page file and way less RAM than is actually available, because when I reduced the page file space, I started to get some horrendous numbers of little freezes etc. Not just RW, but windows itself.
I noticed that on an old XP powered machine as well. It was 32 bit with 3 gig of RAM, and it would only use about 50% RAM before going to the page file.
A developer friend said his newer Acer, on Win 7 64 bit is the same way.

Bottom line is that, even with a 7200 rpm dedicated data HDD, a strong processor, and lots of memory RW won't preload enough of the needed program bits.
Or, maybe it's actually Windows that stubborn about using available RAM.

I'm not ready to spend on RAM, when the programs and/or Windows won't use more than half of whats available for some odd reason.
Before someone asks, I am on 64 bit Windows and my machine can address up to 32 gigabytes.
To be sure, with 16GB RAM, I was forced to install Windows Pro 7 - 64bit, seems Pro or Ultimate only works above 16GB.

Watching the in house memory management, noticed that going into a heavy scenic and A. I. Traffic, the RAM usage goes up but never pass 8GB (so far). On FSX easily maximizes, like NYC and JFK with mega-scenery and heavy (rush hour) A. I. Traffic.

Not advocating that we need Window 7 Professional Edition with less than 16GB, make me wonder about other opinions on this thread.

Clickity-clack,

Peter

Last edited by md11lm: 04-30-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
culleydog34

for anyone interested, newegg has a 240 gig ssd ocz agility 3 for 187.00 , thats with 15% off for the next 5 days. thats pretty cheap for an ssd.
culleydog34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
Ericmopar

Well...
I borrowed some DDR 3 1333 meg memory, so I could add two more gigabytes to my RAM. The combined system and simulator still wouldn't use more than 2.7 gigabytes.
The system recognizes it.
I can open a bunch of programs and get it to use closer to 4 gigs, but it still won't use much of the RAM for Railworks.
How are some of you people getting it to use more RAM?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks