Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > UFO: Afterlight

Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Atomic Hamster

Is it turn based?

Just wondering whether it's worth it or not? If it is turn based then it isn't
Old 04-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Thomasr

Banned
you forgot to add "in my opinion"

Last edited by Thomasr: 04-29-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Thomasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
phasmaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasr View Post
your forgot to add "in my opinion"
You forgot to answer the question.

(also: *you)
phasmaphobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Atomic Hamster

Well, seeing as I typed it I would take it that it's my opinion unless I have some masked man holding a gun to my head making me type his opinion.

I guess you will never know
Atomic Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Lewyrus

It is in real time, adjustable speed, both in strategic and tactical view.
Lewyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
KaylaKaze

If it's like the 2nd game, it's a pseudo-turn based. Each command takes a certain amount of time and when a unit doesn't have a command, the game pauses.
KaylaKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Mummylord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Hamster View Post
Well, seeing as I typed it I would take it that it's my opinion unless I have some masked man holding a gun to my head making me type his opinion.

I guess you will never know
That's true. I never have understood why this trend of "in my opinion" stuff became popular (prob monkey see monkey do). Unless you make a habit out of spread others opinions....

But in any event. You're opinion doesn't mean much. (no more than anyone else's although everyone else isn't going to take the time to put their opinion out there).

ps: I agree as well. It wouldn't be as good without it being turn based if you we're any kind of fan of xcom. That is my humble opinion (though I am wrong alot).
Mummylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
jimrad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasmaphobic View Post
You forgot to answer the question.

(also: *you)
Too funny.

When correcting, at least don't leave yourself open to the same.

+1
jimrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
omninull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasr View Post
you forgot to add "in my opinion"
Yet, it seems rather obvious, doesn't it.
omninull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Vico87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaKaze View Post
If it's like the 2nd game, it's a pseudo-turn based. Each command takes a certain amount of time and when a unit doesn't have a command, the game pauses.
Also, you can pause any time, give orders while paused, then resume. If an order is underway, it will be completed before the new one is executed. So you can play it however you want: never pause -> real-time, or like me: pause each time you see fit and give orders -> turn based. The game automatically pauses at certain events but you can turn that off in the options.
Vico87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
jmc8888

It's to differentiate whether or not you are attempting to tell someone it is a FACT, or an OPINION.

Someone saying the 2008 Detriot Lions was the BEST team ever! Well that guy is lying or trying to misrepresent facts.

If someone says the 2008 Detroit Lions was the BEST team ever in my opinion! Well the guy isn't lying, or trying to put out an untruth, he just sees something FAR different than reality actually was.

Or a better, more realistic one would be....My team had the best 2012 NFL draft...in my opinion. Sounds good, lots of leeway, people could make an argument. It's a CYA mechanism to thwart trolls.

But if someone said. My team had the best 2012 NFL draft!....well who crowned them? Are you passing off a lie?

It's about trying to pass off something as fact that isn't. Throwing 'in my opinion' behind something takes off the 'fact' of your argument, and allows your argument to be judged within the bubble reality of one's opinion. Generally it makes any argument almost plausible since ones opinions can vary so much legitimately.

Some people get really idiotic if it's not there behind it. So generally people put it there to save hassle from some perfectionist reader that might troll them.

Last edited by jmc8888: 04-30-2012 at 09:37 AM.
jmc8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
Mummylord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc8888 View Post
It's to differentiate whether or not you are attempting to tell someone it is a FACT, or an OPINION.

Someone saying the 2008 Detriot Lions was the BEST team ever! Well that guy is lying or trying to misrepresent facts.

If someone says the 2008 Detroit Lions was the BEST team ever in my opinion! Well the guy isn't lying, or trying to put out an untruth, he just sees something FAR different than reality actually was.

Or a better, more realistic one would be....My team had the best 2012 NFL draft...in my opinion. Sounds good, lots of leeway, people could make an argument. It's a CYA mechanism to thwart trolls.

But if someone said. My team had the best 2012 NFL draft!....well who crowned them? Are you passing off a lie?

It's about trying to pass off something as fact that isn't. Throwing 'in my opinion' behind something takes off the 'fact' of your argument, and allows your argument to be judged within the bubble reality of one's opinion. Generally it makes any argument almost plausible since ones opinions can vary so much legitimately.

Some people get really idiotic if it's not there behind it. So generally people put it there to save hassle from some perfectionist reader that might troll them.
But yet the world managed to exist for a couple thousand years without that clarification. But then maybe it's necessary in this insult-fested (from afar and anonymous) society we live in. Heck, I used to be a joker online but now days I get asked if I am trolling or not if I make a joke (because you never know I might be trolling and we can't let that slip by. Can we?)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
munkus

Wanted: Grammar and spelling police for Internet forum. Must seek self-gratification by making oneself seem superior to others by correcting their grammar and spelling. Pay negotiable. Call 1-800-555-jerk.
munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Mummylord

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkus View Post
Wanted: Grammar and spelling police for Internet forum. Must seek self-gratification by making oneself seem superior to others by correcting their grammar and spelling. Pay negotiable. Call 1-800-555-jerk.
You should thank them for helping you learn. Otherwise in 20 years we might be down to 200 dialects of text-speak online we will need a dictionary for.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > UFO: Afterlight