Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2

Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
SuperCafe

shogun 2 is incredibly slow even though i have the latest drivers

Hi
i recently bought shogun 2 and installed it when it finished i loaded it up and it took 30 MINUTES for it to get to the menu so i got a new driver for my graphics card but it didn't help at all and the graphics also are terrible what should i do i cant uninstall shogun and install it again becuase you need to download it and i dont have the network usage to do so
graphics card Ati Radeon HD 5450 w/ latest drivers
Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
DeadlyFred

What's the rest of your system?
DeadlyFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
SuperCafe

Windows 7 64 bit
8 gb ram ddr3
1tb hard drive
AMD bulldozer fx 6-100 3.3 GHz six core
SuperCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
SuperCafe

is there anybody who can tell me what to do?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
daelin4

Moderator - Total War
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCafe View Post
30 MINUTES for it to get to the menu
The game itself tends to load a bit long to the main menu, and over time I've noticed it's not as long the next time you load the game. This could also be dependent on how fast your hard drive is. Your Bulldozer is also not the best processor out there. Am I to assume you really took a timer and recorded an actual half hour, or should I just assume you just felt like it took that long when in fact it was three minutes?

Quote:
the graphics also are terrible what should i do ...Ati Radeon HD 5450 w/ latest drivers
You don't have the best GPU. Latest drivers simply optimize compatibility with games. You also need to elaborate on what you consider good graphics. If you want every game setting set to maximum quality, then you need to get something like a 7950.
daelin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
SuperCafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
The game itself tends to load a bit long to the main menu, and over time I've noticed it's not as long the next time you load the game. This could also be dependent on how fast your hard drive is. Your Bulldozer is also not the best processor out there. Am I to assume you really took a timer and recorded an actual half hour, or should I just assume you just felt like it took that long when in fact it was three minutes?

You don't have the best GPU. Latest drivers simply optimize compatibility with games. You also need to elaborate on what you consider good graphics. If you want every game setting set to maximum quality, then you need to get something like a 7950.
i turned it on and i saw that it was going nowhere so i looked at my watch and watched 1 family guy episode which is 20 minutes and i came back to my computer and saw that the only thing that did progress was that the cursor changed to the shogun one then i browsed the internet for 10 mins (i watched and browsed on a different computer) when i came back i saw that finally it got up to the clip at the beginning and then when i went to a historical battle it took ages until finally it got to the game and was lagging like mad even on the lowest settings possible even though it should do on the medium settings
Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
DeadlyFred

Check your bios, make sure you have the latest version for your motherboard. There is an issue with certain newer AMD CPUs and Steam CEG DRM. It can cause more marked, servere issues, or simply cause really awful performance regardless of specs or game settings.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...platforms.aspx

If your motherboard doesn't have a bios available which fixes the issue you can try this **AT YOUR OWN RISK**

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...er-issue/page4

For what its worth, it has been working perfect for me though I would really just prefer Gigabyte get off their duffs and update the bios for my board so I don't have to bother with it.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
SuperCafe

i dont know what is amd fx my card says xfx radeon hd 5450
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
SuperCafe

now it doesnt even get there anymore i click on its icon then a message pops up that say
you may be running this game from a different computer so it could not cloud
but i am not running this game from another computer
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
Ridonk

Quote:
now it doesnt even get there anymore i click on its icon then a message pops up that say
you may be running this game from a different computer so it could not cloud
but i am not running this game from another computer
Did you flash the new BIOS as suggested? I had the exact same problem with load times until I did the same (AMD FX-4100).
Ridonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
DarKcom

Total War Series Moderator
Make sure you start in DX9/10 instead of DX11 it's ultra slow with little visible difference.
DarKcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
SuperCafe

all of you are talking about flashing the BIOS what is it and how do i do it?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
DeadlyFred

Quote:
all of you are talking about flashing the BIOS what is it and how do i do it?
It depends what brand and model of motherboard you are using, some are easier than others. But you will need to figure that out because you have to find the right bios from the manufacturer's website first.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
SuperCafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post

im not going to run it on max maybe med to high
b) im not going to £310 thats more then my computer (wich was on sale)
i need a good budget card
Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #15
DeadlyFred

It's not the graphics card. Simply using a "subpar" graphics card will not cause these sort of issues in gaming unless it's an extreme case. It's a noted issue with the CPU, needs to be looked into/fixed.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2