Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series

Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Vimescarrot

Should I restart?

This being my first attempt at a game of this genre, I played on Medium difficulty and I find myself with over a hundred health potions after five hours' play. So far, I've drunk exactly one of them. My biggest diffculty was juggling an inventory overflowing with potions while in the bowels of some dungeon.

Does it get significantly harder? Or should I restart, would I have a better experience at a higher difficulty? Usually, I play games through once on Medium or Hard difficulties and then never replay them...The same will probably happen on Torchlight. I don't want to have an acceptable experience on Medium if I could have a good experience on Hard.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
WackJackal

You could always mod your game so that potions and scrolls stacks up to 200. This is the beauty of Torchlight. Whenever you find a problem that bugs you, there is probably a mod for it.

About the difficulty: Easy and Normal is ridiculously easy and if it bothers you too much you should consider restart your game.

Last edited by WackJackal: 05-01-2012 at 05:16 PM.
WackJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Jiktori

You may as well as it doesn't matter too much if you change your mind as you can still keep that character and come back to it if you like.
Jiktori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Risinggunstar

For a first timer, you're doing well. Note that this is just the beginning and you WILL be downing those potions soon. Middle, to end game... you will chug them XD However, you may find Hard mode to suit your needs right off the bat.
Risinggunstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
Golden Void

Torchlight should always be played on Very Hard; anything less is pointlessly easy.
Golden Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Vimescarrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackJackal View Post
You could always mod your game so that potions and scrolls stacks up to 200. This is the beauty of Torchlight. Whenever you find a problem that bugs you, there is probably a mod for it.
Since you've mentioned that, I went looking at the mods to see what could be done. Almost none of the links to mods work any more. :\

With what everyone has said in mind, I'll probably get the potion mod, then switch over to the hardest difficulty.
Vimescarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
WackJackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimescarrot View Post
Since you've mentioned that, I went looking at the mods to see what could be done. Almost none of the links to mods work any more. :\
That's strange because I downloaded 14 different mods for Torchlight a week ago.
WackJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Vimescarrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackJackal View Post
That's strange because I downloaded 14 different mods for Torchlight a week ago.
The list of helpful mods was my first stop, and from there I tried:

I realised after this that I could use the search function on the runicgamesfansite.com links (the bright map and fishmash mods), although I apparently shouldn't use the immediately visible search bar; I have to click on a different search link and use that screen instead... No idea what the solution would be to the forum thread links.
Vimescarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
spyrochaete

I played my first Torchlight character on medium difficulty and found it way too easy and very boring. I highly recommend playing on hard difficulty. Start a new character ASAP.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
MilitantCactus

Quote:
Are you using HotSpot for mods?
http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/dow...do=file&id=698
MilitantCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
account2

I'd suggest you finish your current playthrough, then retire the char and keep the items...
account2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
ElazulHP

This post seems to be becoming a helpful link thread so I will throw my request in here as well. Does anyone know a mod that lets you respec your stats? I downloaded Runic's official mod for respecing skills, but the potion you can buy does not do stats.
ElazulHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Webbstre

Quote:

I realised after this that I could use the search function on the runicgamesfansite.com links (the bright map and fishmash mods), although I apparently shouldn't use the immediately visible search bar; I have to click on a different search link and use that screen instead... No idea what the solution would be to the forum thread links.
Just so you know, the broken links on RGF are there because we switched the entire site over from a mish-mash of Wordpress, phpbb, Drupal, and mediawiki to a single vbulletin installation back in August of 2010. We transferred (manually) all of the hundreds of mods, but it was impossible to redirect each and every link to its new location.

As for why there is a separate search function, well that's because the file sharing add-on that we use for Torchlight 1 mods was free and there were no alternatives at the time, and the author of that add-on didn't have the foresight to think "Oh, people might not want two separate search functions on a site."

The mods are all there though.
Webbstre is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series