Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Analogue: A Hate Story

Old 05-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
AlmaAwakened

Length?

I'm a bit torn with this game. I played the demo and enjoyed it quite a bit, maybe because it feels different from other VNs...Not saying anything bad about VNs, but the system behind Analogue feels kind of...fresh.

The thing that makes me hesitate is the '18% unlocked' on my save data. Is the demo really covering about one fifth of the entire game? My last VN gave me a good 8 hours PER PATH, times 5. If my assumption is accurate, then this ones story must be incredibly short... Can someone confirm/debunk this?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
LegionZero

about 6 hours in length. But it's quality in length as opposed to quantity. And hey £7 for 6 hours is good for entertainment, I went to see a movie a year ago and it cost £13 for 90 minutes of entertainment! olol.
LegionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Croakamancer

Hard call. Compared to other VNs, yeah, but the narrative form is so completely different, that's kinda a moot point; you're not following a novel after all, so no narration. (also remember, you can talk about a lot of entries with both AIs)

It's worth noting that the stuff after the demo is arguably much more immersive and engaging than the stuff within it, and the format doesn't change. From what you've said, I would recommend the game to you.

(BTW, what's the last VN you mentioned?)
Croakamancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Smertnik

Well, according to Steam (which tends to be rather unreliable with this information) it took me around five hours to get every ending. One "readthrough" would probably take about four. It all depends on how fast your read, though.
But yeah, it's pretty short, no matter how you look at it.
Smertnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Zorlond

Of course, such numbers don't properly quantify the amount of time you'll spend thinking over the story.

Nothing like a well-designed story to provoke thought and discussion.
Zorlond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
AlmaAwakened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croakamancer View Post
(BTW, what's the last VN you mentioned?)
Katawa Shoujo! (100% free, btw :3)

The thing is, I'm not even saying a VN does need to have a certain length to be good. I'm merely thinking that a great story needs some time to unfold.

5~6 hours sounds very acceptable though, guess i'll get soon-ish. Thank you! ^.^
AlmaAwakened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Palodin

Length isn't everything, I find. Take Narcissu for example, fantastic VN, no choices and its 3-4 hours long tops (Free, though) but its one of my favourites. Whereas one of the first I played was Tsukihime, I played through one path and simply wasn't tempted to go back and play the others, one path in that seemed to be what, 15-20% of the total?
Palodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
kayvent

Thanks to the thread opener. I just signed in to ask the same question. Thanks to those who answered him/her too for giving me the answer aswell.
kayvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
Canarinta

It's about 2 dollars or more per hour.
Canarinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
Sheepdude86

5 hours playtime for me, I've unlocked 4/5 endings.
Sheepdude86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
TopGunSF

Hrmm, this one didn't last me very long at all. 100% completion took a little over 2 hours (yes, I read it). The story was good, and I liked the style - but it was VERY short. I've played other "VNs" that have taken well over 40 hours.
TopGunSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
deceze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGunSF View Post
100% completion took a little over 2 hours (yes, I read it).
You read fast!
deceze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Mamoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaAwakened View Post
Katawa Shoujo! (100% free, btw :3)

The thing is, I'm not even saying a VN does need to have a certain length to be good. I'm merely thinking that a great story needs some time to unfold.

5~6 hours sounds very acceptable though, guess i'll get soon-ish. Thank you! ^.^

Know any other good VN? Free ones preferred but any are fine (I'll just have to wait til i have more money.)
Mamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
limegonk

I've found the game to have a fair bit of replay value too. It's one I imagine I'll keep coming back to, to roleplay different character concepts.
limegonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #15
Zizhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamoru View Post
Know any other good VN? Free ones preferred but any are fine (I'll just have to wait til i have more money.)
See: www.renai.us for a gigantic collection of (mostly) free English language visual novels. The overall quality varies, but there are some real gems there. Also, if you haven't already, check out Christine Love's other VNs, Digital: A Love Story and don't take it personally, babe,it just ain't your story. Both are highly recommended if you enjoyed Analogue.
Zizhou is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Analogue: A Hate Story