Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Robil

New Vegas DLC - worth it?

Thinking of playing through NV again and I was wondering if it's worth getting any of the DLC expansions? When I originally played it, they weren't out yet.

To be honest, they look kinda crappy for the money to me, but it'd be nice to be proved wrong!

So are they all good? Some good, some bad? Or all crappy?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Motörizer

I myself haven't played them, but I heard VERY good things about Old World Blues.

Also heard that Dead Money was a pain in the . Can't say anything else about the others.
Motörizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Fish-E

Volunteer Moderator
If you have the money then buy them all, the increased level cap, new perks and weapons are great even if the stories aren't.

If you don't have the money then I definitely recommend Old World Blues and Gun Runners' Arsenal and somewhat recommend Lonesome Road. Dead Money, Honest Hearts and Courier's stash are ok.
Fish-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Allomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robil View Post
Thinking of playing through NV again and I was wondering if it's worth getting any of the DLC expansions? When I originally played it, they weren't out yet.

To be honest, they look kinda crappy for the money to me, but it'd be nice to be proved wrong!

So are they all good? Some good, some bad? Or all crappy?
As the Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas (plus all DLCs) enthusiast I am,I highly recommend all of the four expansions - if you can afford them without complications, of course.

Some are better than others, though. Some felt slightly disappointing, such as the one involving Ulysses (Lonesome Road) and the one involving the Burned Man (Honest Hearts). But I believe all of them essentially add lots of things worth checking and having, such as new quests, places, weapons, perks, enemies, stories, etc.. Most of them can be accomplished in less than a day, so try and take your time with them to make them last longer.

I did not get any of the extra packs that merely added guns/ammo, and so on. In my opinion, that's not really worth it, as the content is not rich enough for my taste.

Last edited by Allomorph: 05-04-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Allomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
sytto

I'm about half way through atm and same boat as OP dlc wasn't out or maybe only one or two at the time i grabbed NV for $10.

There is no way I'm dropping $45 on dlc specially when the Ultra is only $39, I can't buy the ultra as own it (apparently) which i don't obviously, so buying the DLC individually is my only option.

Really hoping a sale goes on before i finish the game as I doubt I'll give it a second run, not that it's a bad game, it's more that i gave FO3 several runs and my backlog of games has gotten quite large from sales.

DLC sale soon they get more money, no sale soon, no more money.
sytto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
Dr Scuttles

Bethesda games should be on sale sometime in June for Steam's Summer Sale. Last year New Vegas and DLC were 75% off in two major sales, so that would be a great time to pick them up.
Dr Scuttles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
2007CA

The four story DLCs are all very worth it IMO. All of them add perks and increase the level cap, and while the gameplay and story is a toss-up (Lonesome Road is fun to play, the story is weakish; Old World Blues has great writing and concept but completing it fully can be a bit of a slog) they all add some level of challenge or narrative complexity that isn't there in the original. The equipment DLCs (Gun Runner's Arsenal, Courier's Stash) are much more skippable (in fact I haven't bothered with the latter) but GRA does add some pretty cool new ammo types and some of the new weapons it comes up with are nice (though not as many as you might expect.) Another GRA note- if you end up getting all the DLC and get the Grunt perk from Honest Hearts, you will have to get a small bugfix to make sure all of the GRA weapons interact with it properly. There's also a few useful bugfixes you might want for Dead Money.
2007CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Jibberish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allomorph View Post

Some are better than others, though. Some felt slightly disappointing, such as the one involving Ulysses (Honest Hearts) and the one involving the Burned Man (Lonesome Road).
Um, you got those reversed. Honest Hearts deals with the new canaanites and the burned man, and Lonesome Road deals with Ulysses
Jibberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Allomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibberish View Post
Um, you got those reversed. Honest Hearts deals with the new canaanites and the burned man, and Lonesome Road deals with Ulysses
Oops, thanks! Going to edit it now.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
jello

Dead Money is a pain in the at times, but it has a little bit of survival feeling which is nice.
Honest Hearts is okay and you can’t do too much wrong with it if you liked the base game. I enjoyed the canyon/world design quite a bit.
Old World Blues is great and well worth the asking price. Silly humour at its best.
Lonesome Road is the weakest of the four story DLCs, IMHO. Ulysses is just a pretentious , and if nothing else LR has one thing going for it: the satisfaction to shut that er up at the end. God, I hated him.
jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
Allomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello View Post
Lonesome Road is the weakest of the four story DLCs, IMHO. Ulysses is just a pretentious , and if nothing else LR has one thing going for it: the satisfaction to shut that er up at the end. God, I hated him.
I didn't hate Ulysses but I think lots of tension, mystery and atmosphere was built around Lonesome Road and what answers it could have brought - and then in the end, it wasn't really as powerful as most hoped it would have been.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Zoridium JackL

I just finished playing dead money, I felt like I got my money's worth, and it's something that I can easily see myself playing again several times with several different characters. although as I have heard people say it's the most polarizing of the dlcs, so I would say only to get dead money if it sounds like your kind of thing (it's a survival type of game, where supplies are very limited, not a run 'n' gunner).

I can't comment on the other three (haven't played them) but I suspect they'll be good.

P.S. gun runers aresenal and couriers stash aren't really that amazing.

if you feel like having a few extra goodies at game start, such as a better weapon and some decent Armour, than go ahead, but it doesn't really offer you anything that you wouldn't eventually get anyway, and you don't really need any of it early of.

gun runners really just adds guns that can be modded, for example it adds an anti-material rifle that you can mod for faster fire rate, suppressed muzzle and lighter body, unless your getting the ultimate edition (which comes with these) there is no call for getting them, unless you feel like it's a justifiable expense (which I don't think it is, but again, if you get the ultimate pack it's worth-while).
Zoridium JackL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
Zekiran

Lonesome Road was the weakest of them, for me. I disagreed with not only the linearity of the story, but also the dialog options. I found myself screaming at Ulysses though I let that jackhole live because THAT is how THIS courier rolls.

Hearts... meh, mine wound up buggy and I missed about 60% of the thing because I went to the wrong location too early and triggered the end of it long before I should have. Not enough options for exploration for that reason, but I enjoyed it in general.

Dead Money was good for the background in my opinion because Veronica was my single companion through the game. Learning about her mentor was good, though it was frustrating to move around, there were a few too many times I died for no good reason but that I couldn't see the right way to walk.

Then there's Old World Blues, which is the single most enjoyable piece of programming I've played in a LONG time. I'd pay 20 bucks just for that. Since I'm a huge Half Life fan, everything about it made me giggle. Plus I heartily recommend that you take the Weird West perk to get the benefit of some BIZARRE crap. I still use most of the weaponry from this section.

I was gifted the stash and such, and they make a difference if you like upgrading your own weapons... And if you up your carry capacity (like I did ... okay okay I wanted that Sierra Madre gold... and I GOT IT.) you can pretty much be a walking arsenal.

So yes. The DLC is well worth having, extending the life of New Vegas by at least 100% in my opinion.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
Niscimble

If you only get one, I HIGHLY advise getting Old World Blues. After that, I'd say Honest Hearts.
Niscimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series