Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Serious Sam series > Serious Sam 3: BFE

Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Evgenij

[MAC] Patch not working

for me at least, did it fix someone's black screen problem?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Diablos

Same problem, on PC
Diablos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
DarthVenom

Yeah, the patch didn't work for me either.
DarthVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Solais

Yes, it's not fixed for everyone, only those who have the ATI series 6 cards. (If you have series 6 and you still get black screen then goddammit)

Also Diablos, on PC? Post a log of that and elaborate.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
mingjuice

Are you surprised?
mingjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
alenl

Croteam
As it says in the patch description for today's patch: another patch is scheduled for tomorrow that will fix black screen on more machines.

I'm sorry that these things are not working as smoothly as everyone would like. It is much harder to test patches for all hw on Mac than it is on PC, since we cannot exchange gfx cards in our test machines. For PC, we have literally _several dozens_ of different GPUs and if any of them causes problems we can debug that by plugging the right card in a test machine. And install appropriate driver (if a specific driver is causing the problem). That kind of doesn't work with iMacs and MacBooks (*)- we'd need all models from all years - and all versions of supported OSes installed there. Even if we wanted to shell such an investment, we can't buy most of them anymore.

(*) We could help it somewhat by using a Mac Pro and exchanging boards there, but we really didn't see this coming because - Hey, Mac's are so well tested they couldn't possibly have driver problems, right? I mean, the whole point of those drivers being months (years?) behind their Windows counterparts, and user being unable to install updated drivers, was supposed to be stability, right? Well, guess we were _wrong_, and this has to be treated (test-wise) as just another version of a PC, just with much more expensive components, and without ability to switch between driver versions as you like. Anyway, I just hope the total compat testing and debugging costs, including wasted time, of this entire Mac adventure don't exceed total income from it, or otherwise there won't be a Mac version in the future games. After all, this is a niche market, but its size was supposed to be offset by simplicity of development for it, due to "stable and well tested OS and drivers". Gee... was this a misconception to start with...

Anyway, I digress. I hope we'll get through these things soon and will be able to support Mac well in future updates and games. Fingers crossed... We'll just need a _hell_ lot more beta testers for Mac in the future.
alenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
SerFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenl View Post
As it says in the patch description for today's patch: another patch is scheduled for tomorrow that will fix black screen on more machines.

I'm sorry that these things are not working as smoothly as everyone would like. It is much harder to test patches for all hw on Mac than it is on PC, since we cannot exchange gfx cards in our test machines. For PC, we have literally _several dozens_ of different GPUs and if any of them causes problems we can debug that by plugging the right card in a test machine. And install appropriate driver (if a specific driver is causing the problem). That kind of doesn't work with iMacs and MacBooks (*)- we'd need all models from all years - and all versions of supported OSes installed there. Even if we wanted to shell such an investment, we can't buy most of them anymore.

(*) We could help it somewhat by using a Mac Pro and exchanging boards there, but we really didn't see this coming because - Hey, Mac's are so well tested they couldn't possibly have driver problems, right? I mean, the whole point of those drivers being months (years?) behind their Windows counterparts, and user being unable to install updated drivers, was supposed to be stability, right? Well, guess we were _wrong_, and this has to be treated (test-wise) as just another version of a PC, just with much more expensive components, and without ability to switch between driver versions as you like. Anyway, I just hope the total compat testing and debugging costs, including wasted time, of this entire Mac adventure don't exceed total income from it, or otherwise there won't be a Mac version in the future games. After all, this is a niche market, but its size was supposed to be offset by simplicity of development for it, due to "stable and well tested OS and drivers". Gee... was this a misconception to start with...

Anyway, I digress. I hope we'll get through these things soon and will be able to support Mac well in future updates and games. Fingers crossed... We'll just need a _hell_ lot more beta testers for Mac in the future.
Can I just say a massive thank you to you guys? No other dev company has been so transparent and honest, and you're doing a bloody amazing job. I never even expected you to bother with the Mac for the game.

A part of the problem is Apple constantly swing between ATI and nVidia, seemingly on whoever bids highest or whatever choice they make (Possibly based on the I Ching for all we know) and it must make your lives utter hell.

It may not be official, but you could consider building yourselves a Hackintosh. It's not exactly legit, but it's a step. And more beta testers, yaygood.

I'm gonna go edit my other post now.
SerFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
forgeflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenl View Post

That's what a beta test program is for - get the game in the hands of some actual users on a variety of equipment who can give you feedback.
forgeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
ChrisW

Gaming is fairly new to Macs, so I would expect it to be difficult to find enough people that purchased Macs with the intention of playing demanding games. I certainly would never pay that much extra money for the same hardware as a normal PC.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #10
VorpalBunnie

Hey croteam, i don't know if this info helps, but sometimes when i change some of the Graphics settings (V-sync, resolution, full screen). It says I have multiple windows of the game running at once. I can't see any of the other windows, yet when i right click the SS:BFE icon on the dock, the drop-down (drop-up?) menu shows 2 "Serious Sam: BFE" s, with a check next to the bottom one.

EDIT: using the top toolbar, I was able to show the "hidden window". Turned out to be a blue screen playing the same audio as the other window, so maybe the problem lies in running two instances?

Last edited by VorpalBunnie: 05-03-2012 at 02:45 AM.
VorpalBunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
StNailed

Suddenly the game works!
StNailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
ciccio357

The game is on OS X in my opinion almost unplayable or too low frame rate for a fast-paced game like this ...
I refuse to believe that in a imac 27 with a 16GB i7 CPU and a 6970M 2 GB you can not run this game decently on OS X.
On windows 7 64 (bootcamp) the game runs smooth at 2560x1440 all ultra, on OS X does not ask this but at least a stable frame rate to 40 fps ...
PS with the latest patch has returned the problem of the scroll mouse
Clearly my words should not be taken as a criticism, I realize that Croteam is working to fix things.
ciccio357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Serious Sam series > Serious Sam 3: BFE