Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 05-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
ice_breaker

Thumbs down Do not Recommend this game

I would like to suggest this feature: Do not recommend this game

There's already a "Recommend this game" feature, but many people use it to speak ill about the games. This sometimes can be confusing once you came into some store gamepage and see this, for instance:

2352 people Recommend this game.

But, what if 90% of these people actually didn't like the game? I'll see lots of recommendations and think that's a good game, when actually it's not.

So, an option to "Do not recommend" this game would fix this and help even more when we're trying to decide what to buy.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Pheace

This is probably simply counter to what you'd want in a Store. I realize this would be 'sort of' nice, for us as a consumer, but in the end this is still a digital retailer, and discouraging people to buy games doesn't really benefit them.

There's plenty of ways to be an informed consumer without having this feature. (not that it wouldn't be nice. But I just don't see them doing it because of the above)

That said, stuff like metacritic and probably it would happen with counter-recommendations as well, there's regular outbursts where a game gets bombed with bad reviews simply because of ... dlc, drm, etc. Stuff that really shouldn't affect the game's rating but just gets blown out of proportions to the extreme sometimes.

I can also see a whole stock of 'DRM-Free' proponents doing their best to counter-recommend any game that uses Steamworks, or even people who tolerate DRM to some extent coutner bombing always online games.

I'm not saying that's not in some ways valid, but it can get pretty extreme sometimes, and not always for the right reasons.

Last edited by Pheace: 05-03-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Pheace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
ice_breaker

Yeah, I know that's not the only way to know about the quality of the games. I know that there's metacritics and other stuff like it. But you have to consider that not everyone knows about it.
I'm not asking this for me. This is not a problem for me. But it's a problem to the Steam Community. Some people are guided by the "Recommend this game" feature.

For instance, recently a friend of mine came to me saying:
"I bought this game because the store page said that many people recommended it. I tought it was a good game, but it's a piece of crap"

And he got jarateed by that. Like him, maybe many people should pass through this same situation.
ice_breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
PirateGuy

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheace View Post
This is probably simply counter to what you'd want in a Store. I realize this would be 'sort of' nice, for us as a consumer, but in the end this is still a digital retailer, and discouraging people to buy games doesn't really benefit them.
But how would this be any different than in stores that have review systems (Newegg, Amazon, etc.) where users can rate products poorly?
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Verminus

Too be honest, I think the reason there is no "Do not Recommend This Game" feature is because they actively decided not to have it.

As for people using the "Recommend this game" feature to slag a game off what is really needed is an attitude adjustment on the part of the users. My mother always used to tell me "If you don't have anything polite to say, then it is better not to say anything." OR as my Granddad put it. "If you can't be nice, shut your bloody trap!"

These days there are plenty of "review" sites that are all too quick to perpetuate users negative opinions on games, usually for reasons other than the game itself. We don't need another one.

If someone has a good word to say about a game and recommend it to a friend then by all means they are free to do so. But unfortunately in the online world the mob mentality runs wild and is often led by the loud mouthed yobs who only think they know what they are talking about, and they often use sheer numbers to drown out any reasonable or sane voices they have opinions different or opposing to theirs.
Verminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
se05239

Some of my steam friends use "Recommend this Game" to write "I really hate this game" complains.

I'd want a "Don't Recommend this Game" as well.
se05239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
damaged

Yeah, I'd like one too, but I do not see it happening, it seems to be the trend with companies and social networks to try and keep those who do not like their product, quiet, so they only include "Like" and "Recommend", they do not like the idea of giving the consumer too much say if it might affect their bottom line.

<newlinethatusedtoworknowdoesn't>

Last edited by damaged: 05-03-2012 at 09:42 AM.
damaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
KnownUnknown

Banned
Sooner or later, Valve are going to wise up to the fact that lots of people are using the Recommend function as an outlet to post negative reviews. I wouldn't be surprised if they actively start policing and removing them at some point in the future.

We need a Do Not Recommend feature for exactly one reason: it's good customer service to allow users to warn off potential buyers of bad games. Besides, people are abusing the Recommend system now anyway, so I think worries of unwarranted criticisms are a bit moot.
KnownUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Sooner or later, Valve are going to wise up to the fact that lots of people are using the Recommend function as an outlet to post negative reviews. I wouldn't be surprised if they actively start policing and removing them at some point in the future.

We need a Do Not Recommend feature for exactly one reason: it's good customer service to allow users to warn off potential buyers of bad games. Besides, people are abusing the Recommend system now anyway, so I think worries of unwarranted criticisms are a bit moot.
What they would probably do, is change from a text field, to a thumbs-up widget.

But then again, they may not, right now, they essentially change any negative reviews to a positive one by generalizing them all as "Recommendations", I mean how many Joe Shmoes actually go through and read the actual content of all the reviews?

<newlinethatusedtoworknowdoesn't>

Last edited by damaged: 05-03-2012 at 09:48 AM.
damaged is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas