Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Breed series

Old 05-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
lazarus_tw

Error - Steam must be running to play this game

I have Alien Breed 1, 2 and 3, when i click play only appears "Error - Steam must be running to play this game".

I have more games but work perfectly, only have problems with Alien Breed saga.

I verify integrity of game cache and is ok.
I deleted he file ClientRegistry.blob but the error persist.

Any help?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Blackmoar

Banned
+1 have same problem
Blackmoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
MushRush66

HMmmm...

This is probably a useless suggestion, but have you folks tried exiting out of Steam and restart your rigs??... Then start Steam up again, minimize to the systray, and click on your desktop icons - don't try to "play" from inside the client...

Other then that, I would contact Steam support if the problem persists...

Also, maybe try what goodone suggested in this post...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2721658
MushRush66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
MushRush66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoar View Post
+1 have same problem
Are you still having startup issues Blackmoar, or have they been resolved??... If resolved, please post what you did to get the game to start so that you can help lazarus_tw and others...

The same thing for lazarus_tw, if you got it to run, please post your solution for others...

Old 06-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
guanthwei

Same issue

I'm having the same issue, and I tried restarting Steam and launching the game from the Library, restarting Steam and launching it from the Desktop shortcut, restarting my rig and launching from Desktop, and then restarting AGAIN and launching from Steam Library.
guanthwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
Blackmoar

Banned
Nope. still have this issue. Tried to restart everything, didn't work. Just gived up, don't like when it happens, will trade away my alien breed trilogy.
Blackmoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
guanthwei

There's no refunds or exchanges, are there?
guanthwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
goodone

most probably, ur game didn't install correctly. try this.
goodone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
MushRush66

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodone View Post
most probably, ur game didn't install correctly. try this.
I agree...

It sounds like an improper install of the Unreal Engine 3 SDK Redistributable and\or physx, DirectX, etc. etc. ... The setup for these games made me a little nervous, but I am having no issues at all...

Are any of you guys having issues trying to play the Trilogy games on a laptop or desktop with integrated (onboard) video chipsets??... If so, that may be your problem...

Who ever is having issues, please post your system specs...

My puny specs are -

Vista 64bit
Core2Quad Q9400 2.66ghz
4 gigs DDR2 Ram
Radeon HD 5570 1 gig DDR3 DX 11
23" LED/LCD 1080p monitor

I have had zero issues running the games maxed out at 1920x1080p... If you are trying to play on laptops/desktops with integrated video, your video chipsets may not be supported... The storepage system requirements are pretty vague regarding what is and what is not supported...

So everyone with issues, please post your system specs like I have up above...

Last edited by MushRush66: 06-03-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
endgame_999

I'm having the same issue and just bought the trilogy during the sale. I have tried restarting the computer, verifying the game cache, reinstalling the game, reinstalling the U3 engine, restarting Steam, logging out and back into Steam, starting from the desktop, starting from the library, checking my DirectX version, and making sure I had the latest drivers. The game absolutely refuses to believe that Steam is already running and will pop up "Error - Steam must be running to play this game." every time.

Here are my specs:

Microsoft Windows XP SP3
GeForce 8800 GTS (PCI Express, not onboard)
2GB DDR2 RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-core Processor 5200+ 2.6 GHz
endgame_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
MushRush66

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame_999 View Post
I'm having the same issue and just bought the trilogy during the sale. I have tried restarting the computer, verifying the game cache, reinstalling the game, reinstalling the U3 engine, restarting Steam, logging out and back into Steam, starting from the desktop, starting from the library, checking my DirectX version, and making sure I had the latest drivers. The game absolutely refuses to believe that Steam is already running and will pop up "Error - Steam must be running to play this game." every time.

Here are my specs:

Microsoft Windows XP SP3
GeForce 8800 GTS (PCI Express, not onboard)
2GB DDR2 RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-core Processor 5200+ 2.6 GHz
You obviously exceed system requirements to play these games endgame_999... I cannot think of anything else to suggest other than what lazarus_tw posted about deleting the clientregistry.blob (in your main Steam directory), closing out of Steam, restart Steam and allow the Client to re-allocate the clientregistry.blob...

If no suggestions posted in this thread are working for you, contact Steam support and/or Team17 Software LTD...

(When I have had similar issues with other games, deleting and reallocating the clientregistry.blob file has always worked for me)...

Very mysterious problem... Maybe a dev might show up in the future and post a work-around...

Edit:
I see that deleting and re-allocating the clientregistry.blob file didn't work for lazarus_tw either... Contacting Steam and/or Team17 ltd. support may be your only hope folks...

Good Luck...

Last edited by MushRush66: 06-05-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
endgame_999

Yeah, I tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob and restarting Steam, which didn't work. I also tried uninstalling the UE3 and reinstalling it again, then verifying the game content before running. It failed.

Googling the problem for another game showed that the problem had to do with that game's local servers and not the game nor Steam itself, but I'm thinking that may just be an issue with that particular game and not these games, since the problem has been happening for the last few days straight.

Edit: Sent a ticket to Steam support and an e-mail to Team17 support. Will post whatever solutions they provide if they work.

Last edited by endgame_999: 06-05-2012 at 07:28 PM.
endgame_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
MushRush66

Quote:
Yeah, I tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob and restarting Steam, which didn't work. I also tried uninstalling the UE3 and reinstalling it again, then verifying the game content before running. It failed.

Googling the problem for another game showed that the problem had to do with that game's local servers and not the game nor Steam itself, but I'm thinking that may just be an issue with that particular game and not these games, since the problem has been happening for the last few days straight.

Edit: Sent a ticket to Steam support and an e-mail to Team17 support. Will post whatever solutions they provide if they work.
Some +rep - for saying that you will post any solutions... That would be very helpful of you...

Maybe it is a firewall issue for some users...
Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #14
goodone

Quote:
Yeah, I tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob and restarting Steam, which didn't work.
hmmm, the whole thing may b more system oriented... av software maybe?

either that, or ur steam is somehow broken, cause game's steam calls can't find steam running, which is, obviously, a missing, possibly unregistered, steam call function. u could try a simple and fast steam fix step 3. it usually deals with all of steam related issues, and is safe for ur installed games and other content, since it only redoes steam.
goodone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
MushRush66

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodone View Post
hmmm, the whole thing may b more system oriented... av software maybe?

either that, or ur steam is somehow broken, cause game's steam calls can't find steam running, which is, obviously, a missing, possibly unregistered, steam call function. u could try a simple and fast steam fix step 3. it usually deals with all of steam related issues, and is safe for ur installed games and other content, since it only redoes steam.

The process of elimination is showing us that it is either a firewall issue or exactly what you just posted goodone... Nice post - I would +rep you today, but I appear to be +repped out for the last 24 hour period...

It should be interesting to see if your post will help others, and I will continue to follow this thread... So, future +rep to you goodone - your post was a "good one"...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Breed series