Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Risen Series

Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
D3xter

All DLC unlockable per Console

So apparently both story islands and the pirate clothes DLC are already part of the game:

http://www.abload.de/img/spawn_dlc3hisc55.png

The only thing happening when one downloads/activates a DLC by buying it, is that it gets activated within the game and a respective "dialogue_language_dlc3.pak" gets downloaded to be used for the spoken dialogue (the Treasure Island DLC for instance is only 48MB big as far as I know).

Some people found a way around this in the Test Mode of the game, one can enter a Test Mode by blindly typing "pommes" in game, it should display "TestMode Activated" and enable the console which can be opened with the "^"-key left of the "1", after that apparently spawning "DLC helpers" seems to work:

spawn dlc1h
spawn dlc2h
spawn dlc3h

http://www.abload.de/img/umvjrqmueeon38e0spawnyar6p.png

After activating the DLCs they are fully functional (even the one that was exclusive for the "Stahlbart's Schatz" edition of the game) aside from missing voice overs for those parts of the game, although there are subtitles and one can *read* the conversations. Even the Steam Achievements apparently work.

So there goes any doubt that the DLCs weren't "cut out" from the game.

Last edited by D3xter: 05-07-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
vashts1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3xter View Post
So apparently both story islands and the pirate clothes DLC are already part of the game:

http://www.abload.de/img/spawn_dlc3hisc55.png

The only thing happening when one downloads/activates a DLC by buying it, is that it gets activated within the game and a respective "dialogue_language_dlc3.pak" gets downloaded to be used for the spoken dialogue (the Treasure Island DLC for instance is only 48MB big as far as I know).

Some people found a way around this in the Test Mode of the game, apparently one can enter a Test Mode by blindly typing "pommes" in game, it should display "TestMode Activated" and enable the console which one can be opened with the "^"-key left of the "1", after that apparently spawning "DLC helpers" seems to work:

spawn dlc1h
spawn dlc2h
spawn dlc3h

http://www.abload.de/img/umvjrqmueeon38e0spawnyar6p.png

After activating the DLCs they are supposedly fully functional (even the one that was exclusive for the "Stahlbart's Schatz" edition of the game) aside from missing voice overs for those parts of the game.

So there goes any doubt that the DLCs weren't "cut out" from the game.
there was doubt?
vashts1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
halororor

This will probably get patched out really quick. Still, I wonder if they can take any action against people who use this exploit.
halororor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Paul_cz

Ah, DLC...the wonderful invention of this console generation. How much I hate it.
Paul_cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Drackan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_cz View Post
Ah, DLC...the wonderful invention of this console generation. How much I hate it.

DLC - Marmite of the gaming industry.
Drackan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Petsura

Quote:
Originally Posted by halororor View Post
I wonder if they can take any action against people who use this exploit.
Why would they?

It's not even an exploit, it's just a simple cheat.
Petsura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #7
Ni3mand

DLC Capcom style (Disc Locked Content) eh? First pay for the disc, than pay even more to actually play what is on the disc you bought.
Ni3mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
clivegshep

Turn subtitles on and you can "see" the dialog.

Found a map of Storm Island but it does not show in game.
clivegshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Spocks Toupee

Thanks for buying our Car, if you want the Steering Wheel you need to pay $100, oh yea, if you want Brakes, you can unlock those for another $500.

A car dealership would get taken to court for shenanigans like that, why do software companies think that laws apply differently to their products (such as second-hand sales etc)?
Spocks Toupee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
apoc_reg

DLC is a fact of life these days. I dont really care if its on the disc or not.... discs and other forms of storage are a pretty outdated concept anyway.
apoc_reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
D3xter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc_reg View Post
DLC is a fact of life these days. I dont really care if its on the disc or not.... discs and other forms of storage are a pretty outdated concept anyway.
Yeah... no...
D3xter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
alexUW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocks Toupee View Post
Thanks for buying our Car, if you want the Steering Wheel you need to pay $100, oh yea, if you want Brakes, you can unlock those for another $500.

A car dealership would get taken to court for shenanigans like that, why do software companies think that laws apply differently to their products (such as second-hand sales etc)?
That's not a good analogy. A better analogy would be:
want AC? that's $100. want leather seats? that's $100. want a sunroof? that's $100.

As you can see, car dealers already do this.
alexUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Spocks Toupee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexUW View Post
That's not a good analogy. A better analogy would be:
want AC? that's $100. want leather seats? that's $100. want a sunroof? that's $100.

As you can see, car dealers already do this.
The DLC is shipped ON the disk and it's already in the game and can be unlocked by entering a console command, you just have to pay money to unlock it, so my analogy still stands.
Spocks Toupee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
SkyVictory

Banned
Quote:
The DLC is shipped ON the disk and it's already in the game and can be unlocked by entering a console command, you just have to pay money to unlock it, so my analogy still stands.
YOur analogy is bad cus a car cant be driven without steering wheel.

Risen 2 is playable, it's just that additional "nice things" are paid. That's pretty much the industry standard whether it's already in or download after. It's all designed as a whole from the beginning.
SkyVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Rogersdead

Quote:
No it doesn't still stand and never did. A car sold without any brakes is illegal and dangerous. A game sold without including day one DLC is neither. It's morally questionable but is not illegal nor dangerous.
Rogersdead is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Risen Series