Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
axhed

how to turn off automatic updates?

the witcher has downloaded 193mb and 1220mb patches even though i had TURNED OFF automatic updates years ago when i bought it.

now the kicker is that steam is trying to download the whole 15gb install. and since it's already 30mb into the download, i can't play it in offline mode either.

how do i REALLY turn off automatic updates?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
MADDOGGE

You can't. You can only delay them until you wish to play. If you pick "do not automatically update", The updates are just postponed but the game will still have to update when you press play before you will be allowed to play. Depending on the size of the updates and your connection speed it could be an hour or more before the game is ready to play.

I take that back if you want to stay in offline mode forever, after it fully updates switch over to Offline mode if you can.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
{Yotsuba}

how do i REALLY turn off automatic updates?

Three things you should know.

1 - The option is slightly bugged and can ignore your setting. So if you set it to "Do not automatically update" you may find it's reset itself to "Always keep this game up to date.

2 - The option to not automatically update only means that patches won't be downloaded when deployed. They will still be downloaded when you attempt to launch the game.

3 - If the game has been converted to the new download system, it may need to download all or part of itself as a result.

Ultimately, if you want to ensure a game never downloads an update, you'll have to set to not automatically update, regularly check the setting and only launch the game with Steam in offline mode.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
ledow

You bought a game on an online download store. Part of the business plan of that store relies on you ALWAYS having the latest patched version of the game that they have approved shoved on you. You can't run an old version of Half-life or any other game, only the latest one that Steam has approved and pushed out. Part of this is due to cheating/hacking (no point updating if everyone else can use an old hacked version), part due to copy protection (if they find a flaw, they need to patch it out), part due to online matchmaking (everyone has the latest version), etc.

If you can't accept that, then you shouldn't have signed up. It's well-publicised and even the briefest of visits to these forums will find someone moaning about it. You signed up for an always-updated online download store to issue updates whenever it feels it needs to. If you haven't got a connection that can download a couple of Gb's in a reasonable time (and likely the longer you put it off, the more it has to redownload as newer patches get released), then you shouldn't have bought Gb-large games from an online store that forces updates.

If you think it's a problem now, games will only get larger, updated more quickly, and there be more of them on your account as time passes. Find another method of acquiring games, or suck it up and buy a decent broadband connection. If neither exist - shame.
ledow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
{Yotsuba}

If you can't accept that, then you shouldn't have signed up.

That's all well and good until a game breaking patch is deployed and a follow up fix is subsequently NEVER applied. Don't think for a minute that that would never happen, as it already has. Worse, the affected game is STILL being sold in it's completely broken state.

Had Steam the ability to rollback patches, however, and this wouldn't be an issue as, prior patches did work perfectly well.

Still think Valve's current stance of patching is a good idea?
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Kornstalx

It might sound draconian but have you tried write-protecting the whole game's folder?

After mucking around with trying to use a Mount&Blade mod for the past 8 hours, I've realized the latest patch is causing issues but as you say, you can't roll back. I manually forced an older version into the steam folder but I can't keep the farking auto-update off, it keeps resetting. The whole thing is buggy as .

I found this thread just now out of frustration googling for why it resets. I'm going to try write-protecting the whole damned folder and pray it thwarts steam's bugginess.
Kornstalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Yotsuba} View Post
If you can't accept that, then you shouldn't have signed up.

That's all well and good until a game breaking patch is deployed and a follow up fix is subsequently NEVER applied. Don't think for a minute that that would never happen, as it already has. Worse, the affected game is STILL being sold in it's completely broken state.

Had Steam the ability to rollback patches, however, and this wouldn't be an issue as, prior patches did work perfectly well.

Still think Valve's current stance of patching is a good idea?
For the most part I do like the auto patching. In most cases it doesn't matter. I used to hate to have to look for patches only to find they no longer exist or I have to download them from shady characters. Patching Frontline Fuel of war manually is a freaking nightmare.

Still I wish we had the option to roll back patches if we wished to though. That way I could play the good HL2 I liked before Valve ruined it with the engine update.
MADDOGGE is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips