Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Analogue: A Hate Story

Old 05-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
OzLefty76

Digital: A Love Story was awesome

If you're wondering about Ms Love's talent, the two previous games are free and awesome.

Digital: A Love Story is like a mix between Uplink and an adventure game - a game where the interface entirely fits the story. A work of genius.

http://scoutshonour.com/digital/

Don't Take It Personally Babe, It's Not Your Story was more conventional, with some disturbing plot aspects, but it's also a unique and revealing experience. How much would you pry into other people's text messages and private conversations if you could do so with impunity?

http://scoutshonour.com/donttakeitpe...aintyourstory/

If you're on the fence about this one, I recommend giving the two free games above a go. Very memorable.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
spyrochaete

I adored Digital. Played it twice. The first time I almost cried.

Don't Take It Personal was interesting. A little too interesting. I love the variety of storytelling media and I really liked the writing but I found the game totally depressing and couldn't finish it.

They're thought-provoking games unlike anything I've ever played and they affected me deeply. That's a huge compliment in their favour.
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
Serjongo

Thank you very much, kind sir! Will be sure to try!

I just got into this whole "Visual Novel" type of games, after I tried "Katawa Shoujo" (Which is also free, by the way!).

I was never a fan of the anime art style, the proportions are absurd and the variety of hair colors.. So weird..

In any case, the game I mentioned definetly changed my mind on the subject and made me more interested in this type of stuff.

Would you recommend those games to a new player? And are those games anything like a visual novel type of game?

Thank you and have a nice day! =) (Also, in case you`re interested, there`s the game I was talking about: http://kotaku.com/5905626/that-game-...should-play-it )
Serjongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
spyrochaete

If you're getting into the Visual Novel genre I would recommend checking out games made in the ChoiceScript engine which is a web-based platform. I really enjoyed the demo game called Dragon Choice where you are a powerful dragon and it's up to you how you will spend your days, either terrorizing a kingdom or being a force of goodness and grace. The writing is great and the design uses more variables and branches which make the game a little more dynamic than other visual novels.

http://www.choiceofgames.com/dragon/
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
mysterycycle

Thank you for the heads-up, Oz! I absolutely loved Analogue and now I'm dying to play more of this style of game. I'll look those up!
mysterycycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
LegionZero

Ever17 and Remember11 are stand up titles.

http://vndb.org/v17
http://vndb.org/v13
LegionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
TissueHime

Visual novels are amazing imo and should have more awareness.

A few games I have played that were remarkable:
Saya no uta (Though it is 18+ and if you like Cthulhu-esque things)

Steins;Gate (15+, if you like Sci-fi-ish types)

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (18+ as well, mystery/horror)

Clannad (all ages, romance/comedy.. probably the most popular of the ones I have played, but it is really well written)

Some of those games may be 18+, but it is 'tasteful' imo. Not the stereotypical 18+ games where the goal is to end up in bed with one of the characters, but games that have amazing story to them.

I bought Analogue, and will probably play it over the weekend and I probably will not be disappointed if it is anything like the Demo.

As for free ones, there are tons of VNs people have created with RenPy and they have links to them onto the Renpy site: http://games.renpy.org/

Last edited by TissueHime: 05-04-2012 at 06:49 PM.
TissueHime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
Serjongo

Wow, thanks for the recommendations guys, will be sure to check those out!
Glad to know that there are many VN games to choose from!

Is the VN genre exclusive to Japan? Or are there any western VN games? Rather interested, as I only found out about it a couple of days ago.

Again, thanks everyone!

+ rep to everyone =D
Serjongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #9
LegionZero

Oh and Chaos;Head - I believe it would probably be a 15 even though it's far more messed up then a lot of the ero based games

Most Western games are indie if you check out the ren'py site there are a lot of them - of varying quality and content.

Err there's Shira oka which is a western produced game. Pretty good.

http://www.shira-oka.com/

O yeah - be warned most of the main stream games are waaaayyy longer - I lost 40ish hours to ever17, and Clannad apparently has upwards of 80 hours. The walk through is thicker than a lot of books.

Last edited by LegionZero: 05-05-2012 at 07:26 AM.
LegionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
TamaSaga

If it's a Ren'py game, I'd suggest after Analogue
RE:Alistair++

These games don't use the Ren'py engine, but I think they are good too. They were translated by insani (http://www.insani.org/)
May Sky
Red Shift
Narcissu

Last edited by TamaSaga: 05-05-2012 at 02:02 PM.
TamaSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:32 AM   #11
SackiePack

I finished Analogue first, loved it, and quickly went off to install Digital and Don't Take It Personally.

I wouldn't think twice about paying for them if they ever came to Steam.
SackiePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Zorlond

Digital was okay (wow, I really don't miss listening to that modem sound every day!), a bit interesting in it's approach. Don't Take It Personally... Played it through once. And on the second play-through, realized that I would be brute-forced into the exact same ending (which I didn't like nor agreed with on multiple points) by the game refusing to continue until I did exactly the same thing as before. But I'll acknowledge that a lot of thought was put into it.

VNs don't offer much in the way of gaming, but I still enjoy them because they focus on the one thing that can keep me playing a game over and over: the story.
Zorlond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
Aux10

Thumbs up

Digital was pretty good but I think the most annoying part of the game was how my calling card codes kept expiring, some didn't work at all. Too much of a time waster, other than that I liked it.

Now Don't Take it Personal... Hard to say... I liked it and hated it at the same time. The story was good and engaging enough to make you want to keep going but at the same time many of the decision points just made me want to quit. To be honest I really hate being in a situation where I have to decide between an ethical decision or a human decision. I want to be ethical but at the same time I want to be human. Since both answers are correct in their sense but are wrong in each others sense it creates one hell of a dilemma.

These three were the first visual novels I've ever played (despite being an avid anime fan for years) and unfortunately they have hooked. >_< I just hope I can keep my curiosity in check and stay away from eroge...

Last edited by Aux10: 05-23-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Aux10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
mysterycycle

Serjongo, I just had to come back and post once more to give you a very enthusiastic THANK YOU! I played Katawa Shoujo as per your suggestion, and it wouldn't be too much of an exaggeration to say that it's changed my life for the better. In fact, it occupied so much of my head-space for the last few weeks that I've only just today gotten myself to play Don't Take It Personally... to completion. I just haven't felt like playing anything else since then!

Okay, now to investigate some more VNs. I've become an addict...
mysterycycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Analogue: A Hate Story