Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Avokad

Give back Steam Games?

The idea is.

Too give back steam games you dont need anymore and get about a small amount back from steam to spend it on new games?

I really have a lot of games in my library i dont need anymore too old no interset etc.

And than you can spend the money on new games max20% of the price or so.

This would been an idea too thank steam all the people who buy a lot of their games or who buy there games for a long time.

if you like the idea give an post and make this thread popular maybe steam notice it =)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
paischu

Why should they "take back" a digital game? Digital = Endless Amount of Copies.
paischu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
paratech2008

It isn't going to happen. Nobody in the gaming industry wants to "Lose" sales by having people "transfer" "sell" or even "give away" games they've already played. Heck the gaming industry wants to kill used games on the consoles and DRM exists on PC games specifically to prevent what you want to do.
paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
GDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by paischu View Post
Why should they "take back" a digital game? Digital = Endless Amount of Copies.
They can run out of codes for digital copies of games, just like retail ones, IIRC Pray was removed from the Steam store for that reason.
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
dxmc

Greenman Gaming allows many of it's games to be traded in for credit. See here.It's the only digital store that does.

Last edited by dxmc: 05-04-2012 at 12:43 PM.
dxmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Konork

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDL View Post
They can run out of codes for digital copies of games, just like retail ones, IIRC Pray was removed from the Steam store for that reason.
I don't know if Prey ever actually told you what CD-Key you got, but the moment the customer finds out what it is, it can't really be returned because they can just write it down. And then there's multiplayer keys, where stuff like ban status is probably linked to them.
Konork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Mr. Hard Reset

Banned
Or how about trade games, so I can get Crysis 2.
Mr. Hard Reset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
w00ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxmc View Post
Greenman Gaming allows many of it's games to be traded in for credit. See here.It's the only digital store that does.
I was about to post the same thing. GMG have a pretty good system in place. I don't know whether or not it would fit in with Steam, but it's an interesting thought.
w00ties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
dxmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00ties View Post
I was about to post the same thing. GMG have a pretty good system in place. I don't know whether or not it would fit in with Steam, but it's an interesting thought.
I think it would be good for business. I have a lot of smaller, older games in my Steam library and if I could trade them in on Steam for store credit I would buy more games and Steam would profit, win-win. But GMG has some sort of proprietary tech so I don't know if there's a way it could be done on Steam, but I agree it's an interesting thought.
dxmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
MrPegiShixteen

Banned
I believe Steam are sponsoring a digital recycling bank in a number of test areas in the UK as we speak.
These will be found at your local waste disposal areas next to the bottle banks and the old batteries and old clothes etc.

I personally hope it takes off as I've a load of old Steam games I need to get rid of.

The best thing is that I think they are going to have a full size cardboard cut-out of Gabe Newell next to the bin. I recon they'll have to Photoshop it first... as it'll defeat the object of recycling cardboard...
MrPegiShixteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
gezus

Maybe just a "point" or "credit" system.

Though .. Steam gives back a TON of stuff to the community .. Think about how much money they loose letting bundles happen.

Also .. the Xmas and Summer sales are incredible.. I got a TON of games from Xmas last year, and I bought a ton as well.. I hope the Summer sale this year is just as rad.
gezus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
shado028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hard Reset View Post
Or how about trade games, so I can get Crysis 2.
You're in the wrong place
http://store.origin.com/store/eaapac...85400/sac.true

Also, more on topic...
This can be easily abused with the massive amount of sales Steam has... Buy a game for 75% off, trade it back for a profit.
Or, just buy a retail game cheaply, activate it and then trade it back.

But I really missed the part where Steam would be interested in doing this :P It poses no benefit to them.
shado028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #13
Avokad

Im not talking about the full amount of the game just somethink like 10% of actual price!!!!!

I would have been ok even with 1 euro per game i have a lot who i want to get rid off

Cause i dont like to play tham anymore or they dont work becasue they are way too old.

And how could steam loose money i buy a game for 50 euro and give it back after 3 months actaul price = 40 euro so i get 4 euro and i sure will buy a new game on steam rather than anywhere else cause i still get it for 4 euro less=)
Avokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
GdabZ

I was about to make the exact same suggestion.

We should be able to give back the Steam games we don't want anymore, in exchange of some Steam Credits or coupons.

We could have some cash back, or maybe a (2% discount on your next game purchase)/(game you give back).

I.E. you get rid of 10 annoying games you don't play or haven't ever played cause they were bundled with other ones you wanted => You get 20% on a single game purchase.

Steam makes a profit, the player profits too.

That said, for me, a page where you could select the games you want to hide/show in your library would do the trick too.

Also we could gift them as staten in this topic :
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2683875

=> With maybe limitations such as 2 gifts/account/year. Maybe this will lead to the creation of false accounts so the tracking could be implemented directly on the game if possible I.E. "a game can only be gifted once".

Also (pinned topic) :
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1723845

Last edited by GdabZ: 05-05-2012 at 07:32 AM.
GdabZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
slovenian89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avokad View Post
Im not talking about the full amount of the game just somethink like 10% of actual price!!!!!

I would have been ok even with 1 euro per game i have a lot who i want to get rid off

Cause i dont like to play tham anymore or they dont work becasue they are way too old.

And how could steam loose money i buy a game for 50 euro and give it back after 3 months actaul price = 40 euro so i get 4 euro and i sure will buy a new game on steam rather than anywhere else cause i still get it for 4 euro less=)
And who do you think would end up paying for that 4 euros? Steam. You are forgetting that Steam doesn't get anywhere near the full purchase price of games you get.

Lets say their cut is 20%. You buy a game from 2K Games for $30.
Steam gets $6 and 2K Games gets $24.

Now a few months later you "return" the game you already played and Steam gives you $3 for it (10% cost & half of their cut). Now, you use that discount on a game from a different publisher. Steam now gets a reduced cut on the sale of that game. They lose more money, since you are buying it at a reduced cost, their cut ends up being lower.

If everyone "returned" their games, Steams revenue would nearly cut in half, and that wouldn't be good for anyone.
slovenian89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas