Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde

Old 05-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #31
Mr.Tavishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer_Ruler View Post
Regardless of if it really happened or not, your statement is a logical fallacy.

Basically, you're saying "as long as people don't hear about something, it didn't happen."

It's entirely possible for an event to go ignored by mainstream medias, or for someone not to sue even if they are entirely in their rights to do so.

I'd change or remove that statement, if I were you.
Noted
Mr.Tavishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #32
KaylaKaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrassel View Post
They however went on a little schmear campaign that unfortunately was successful.
Please stop saying "schmear". Schmear is Jewish cream cheese. It's just a "smear" campaign. I don't know if you're German and it's just the way the pronunciation comes out in text, but just a heads up.

It reminds me of that episode of The IT Crowd with the "petal stool".
KaylaKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #33
coolmanyou1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidD34TH View Post
If you do your research on the history of this game, the developers used content that was stolen from other games. Natural Selection 2, Primal Carnage and other games are victims of this games blatant plagiarism and content theft.

The lead developer fired everyone on staff before pre-orders went live so that he didn't have to pay them. There are a lot of sources covering this.

I refuse to support someone who rips off other peoples work and does something so horrible to people who helped work on it.
DO THE Plants look like this ? > http://www.roblox.com/Vegetable-Hat-item?id=1098273
coolmanyou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #34
SnarKs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmanyou1 View Post
THAT GUY STOLE MY MODEL! I feel completely ripped apart.
SnarKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #35
nick2730

There is an entire forum thread dedicated to this guy on polycount. Its not a smear campaign like he claims
nick2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #36
Concubine

You denying the alleged claims is in no means useful, shady companies at their finest, thankfully steam will sort out this ugly and unprofessional mess, they usually do.

and I said it in another page but PAID DLC? REALLY? your not Killing floor, your currently a joke so think with your brain not with your bank account.
Concubine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #37
ThLastCenturion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer_Ruler View Post
Regardless of if it really happened or not, your statement is a logical fallacy.

Basically, you're saying "as long as people don't hear about something, it didn't happen."

It's entirely possible for an event to go ignored by mainstream medias, or for someone not to sue even if they are entirely in their rights to do so.
Finally an answer to the ultimate question, "if a tree falls in the forest and one one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?"
ThLastCenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #38
pwrOFf

you're still spamming every game forums with ads for your games without paying them for advertising. It's unprofessional and doesn't gives you a lot of credibility.
pwrOFf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #39
GarageBay9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruaidhri View Post
Here's a link for a full article concerning the game: http://www.gatheryourparty.com/artic...oyee-beatdown/
...except, like David said, none of it is true.

My name is Brandon, and I've been with Spiral for going on six months now. I'm a 3D artist. You know that blurb in our PR about the team including someone from Forza Motorsport? Yup, that's me.

When I first responded to a Spiral job posting over on a very well-known 3D artist forum, I got a private message warning me not to take the job, and that "Praz is an untrustworthy bag".

In the entire time I've known him, nothing could be further from the truth.

I've done a lot of freelance and worked on a lot of small projects in between shipping major titles. Getting paid at all? Man, that's worth celebrating. Getting paid what you were promised, or on time, much less both? Count your lucky stars.

David has always - ALWAYS - paid what he promised on time, and he has been a fantastic boss to work with. He is focused, organized, committed, and he takes care of his team - us. Occasionally it may be rough-and-tumble love, but he has ALWAYS done right by me.

Good example: I ended up in an extremely tight spot a few months back where we were in the middle of a hard crunch for the GDC build, and on top of that both my AND my wife's Jeeps broke. We were dead in the water - she couldn't get to work and I couldn't cannibalize my Jeep to fix hers. I was looking at about $250 in parts that I'd need to put in myself, which meant an entire day on my back in the garage, carved out of my already razor-thin schedule. And I didn't have $250 lying around. Starving artist is redundant.

I had to Skype David, who was already sweating bullets trying to make everything else happen, and explain what was going on and that it might completely screw up having some critical art assets in the build by deadline.

I've worked for art directors that were good folks but put the company's bottom line first. I've worked under art directors that were... well, Captain Bligh comes to mind. I would not have blamed David for a second if he had yanked those models and given them to somebody who could get them done in time.

Here's what David "The Second Coming Of Ghengis Khan According To The Internet" Prassel actually replied with:

"Don't sweat it. Need me to front you some cash to get up and running again?"

And that told me all I needed to know about the man.

He's been completely up front with us about the inner functions of the team, our finances and plans (something not all teams are remotely transparent about), and past episodes of drama. That "Employee Beatdown" article does a magnificent job of flinging a lot of BS without actually citing any credible sources. "Somebody blacked out" and "somebody had to buy their own airline ticket" sounds like National Enquirer reporting - dramatic until you scrape down past the surface.

You want to hear something else dramatic? Here, this has a source, me: I worked 14 hour days with pneumonia earlier this year to get art done for this game. Why?

Well, David didn't have to threaten me. I did it because I care about the game, about the team, about the commitment I made to them - including David, about our fans and customers, and making sure I did everything I could to get them what they deserved. And David paid me well for that effort. That money bought my 8-year-old son a new pair of sneakers. But the cash is nothing compared to the satisfaction of knowing I gave the people playing ODB everything I could muster and kept that commitment to them.

And here's something nobody seems to have stopped and considered in their leaps to conclusions from vague and unproven rumors on the internet: Spiral is not just David Prassel. Spiral is a whole team of people and all of us have invested a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this game. For some of us, this isn't beer money or just a stepping stone; this team is how we feed our families and keep our children sleeping under a roof.

When people start blindly jamming the lever to rage mode and jumping on the bandwagon of an internet jihad against the entire project, just because of rumors about one person here, it hurts all of us at Spiral. I can't speak for anybody but myself, but that doesn't quite seem right or necessary to me, not in the slightest.

As for the model built from the NS2 concept art showing up in the old preview footage, yeah, it was in that build. It was a placeholder; David already explained exactly what happened. There was never any intention of trying to ship that model in the final build and claim it as our own. We wouldn't insult the intelligence of our fans with some dumb stunt like that, we wouldn't disrespect Charlie Cleveland (Flayra) and the NS2 team like that (mad props, Charlie, Lerk power!), and we sure as heck wouldn't risk our butts and all our hard work legally doing something that stupid. If you'll notice, the inventory stations in the game now are new models, concepted and built from scratch, that fit our art direction and the shape language of the Carrier technology - my models.

(It's also easier for placeholders to get lost in the shuffle than you'd think... FSX: Acceleration almost shipped with a model of a B-58 Hustler that belonged to a well-known 3rd party development group. It got caught the day before we went content complete. )

Bottom line is, I read and heard and saw and was told a slew of nasty things about David before I decided to give him a chance and signed on the dotted line and joined Spiral. And in the time I've known him personally (a quite awesome time, I'll add), every single one of those nasty things has proven to be a lie.

I'll back that statement up with my real name and my resume and my reputation. I dare anybody behind those smear articles or the nasty forum posts or the screeching on Reddit to stand up and do the same.

So there you go. David Prassel, Internet-Black-Marked as Jerk Incarnate, is one of the best bosses, best team leaders, and coolest guys I've had the privilege to work with.

Can't say much more than that.
GarageBay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #40
SnarKs

Im glad someone other than David at spiral is chiming in. The only thing I can suggest to make it more convincing is to get your green name tag to say youre a spiral employee. That way your posts have a lot more meaning than say my post. Been trying to defend you guys earlier today -.- So much crap floating around its sad.

PS - Good luck with your game, it looks awesome, I hope you get the kinks worked out so it may shine.
SnarKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #41
light487

Yer.. a smear campaign.. like the whole LA Noire/Team Bondi thing was a smear campaign against Rockstar.. uh huh..

Just because the minority gets downtrodden doesn't mean it didn't happen.
light487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #42
RagingLoon

Seriously, calmer heads prevail. Focus on getting the game patched and serious gamers will review ODB and vet David Prassel/Spiral not some of these raging loon's (pun intended) on the forums. Frankly, I'd be amazed if a few don't get red name tags for over-the-top things and even threats they've posted. Steam doesn't mess around!
RagingLoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #43
sfade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrassel View Post
It's an unfortunate thing but it's something thats not only been plaguing me for over a year but what a lot of people don't realize is that it also effects the 20+ other developers that work at Spiral.

It was simply a circumstance that involved a handful of developers that did things that made it where I couldn't work with them anymore. It's important to understand that this was all prior to us even having money and we were still Modders. However none of their work was used and they were let go. It's sad but people lose their jobs every day.

They however went on a little schmear campaign that unfortunately was successful.
[etc. etc.]
I'm not inclined to believe either side, it's too obscure, with too many people on both sides of the conflict. It's disconcerting, but not clear enough to make a concise judgement. A lot of the time the complaints seem to gravitate around being rather personal in nature, targeting things like egotistical behavior and all the associated negative connotations that go along with that.

I will say this, someone linked to your blog where I read the following (which is where some of the complaints about ego may originate):

Quote:
At age 13 I had assembled a team from across the world – with over 30 developers under me ranging from the ages of 15-35.

<snip>

Over the next decade I designed over 10 games ranging in various genres, audiences and design types. I currently have a team of 50 developers under me...
Perhaps it's just me but I would consider rewording the underlined excerpts from the bio/resume as it comes across a little brutish. A good leader, one who values working with a team and acknowledges their value would say something more along the lines of 'coordinating the efforts of over 30 developers' or 'managing projects with over 30 developers'. It just sounds a lot better and less driven by one's own ego than the phrase 'under me', which suggests something slightly more negative in nature.

Just a suggestion, take it as you will Mr. Prassel. In any case, I'm interested in the game, but will wait for reports that it is a bit more stable.
sfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #44
JACKTE.JACKTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingLoon View Post
even threats they've posted. Steam doesn't mess around!
hey it was just a opinion , dint actual state any action was in place .
JACKTE.JACKTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #45
DrSwank

I can't believe people are actually trying to take up for this guy.

Has anyone done their research? There's an entire reddit where multiple devs from the team are speaking up.

This guy is a shameless self promoter. I'm pretty certain anyone who says they're not David P from Spiral is most likely David under a different name doing damage control.

I read about the stuff this guy has done for about two hours today. The info is out there people...and this game has had server crash issues from day one from the material I've read from him (his first beta was completely pulled for that reason).

I'd like to call Steam into question here for allowing such a shady game to be pushed like this.
DrSwank is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde