Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bastion

Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Kayohgee

Favorite loadouts or weapon combos?

I've used quite a few different ones over the course of the game, but right now I'm packing the Mortar Launcher with either the Dueling Pistols or the Hammer. The Mortar launcher by itself is pretty devastating. The damage is insane, you can shoot over objects you're using as cover and because the range is variable you can intercept charging foes if you time it right.

I've also worked out a combo where I block with the shield and, in the time the attacking enemy is stunned, very quickly hold and release the fire button which launches a point blank mortar into their face. It's unavoidable and it makes getting through Ura opponents a breeze. The mortar bombardment skill is also pretty nasty, although I haven't figured out if it's redundant or not since the mortar already does so much damage.

I use the pistols for crowd control (I have the ricochet bullets although I'm not sure if I'll keep them or not) or the Hammer when I want a well balanced melee weapon with some knockback. Overall it seems like a pretty solid combo for my style of play.

What about you guys? What have you found that works really well? What skills do you find most useful?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Drowning Witch

well i play with all the available god shrines activated, so the weapon loadout is highly dependant on the level i'm playing.

im currently doing the "kid's bed" survival wave mode, and so far my best was up to last 4 waves, using the spear and and mortar.

im goign to try revolvers + mortar because the damn ninja uru's regen health to fast for the spear, and move a bit too fast for the mortar.
Drowning Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Kayohgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowning Witch View Post
well i play with all the available god shrines activated, so the weapon loadout is highly dependant on the level i'm playing.

im currently doing the "kid's bed" survival wave mode, and so far my best was up to last 4 waves, using the spear and and mortar.

im goign to try revolvers + mortar because the damn ninja uru's regen health to fast for the spear, and move a bit too fast for the mortar.
I'd probably use the Spear too, but I don't like having two slower weapons.

In fact if I had my way I'd go though the entire games with the pistols and the machete since they're both so damn fast, but the machete's pretty weak later on.
Kayohgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Drowning Witch

Yeah I love the machete as well, but with the regan health god shrine, it just doesn't do enough damage. same for pistols. too weak for end game stuff.

Managed to beat the bedroll survival waves finally. mortar+incinerator combo proved to be the best one.

I used the same combo to finish the last level.

16 hours for a first playthrough is not bad.

Im so glad they included the god shrines. they tuneed a casual game into an intense fight.

Gonna do new game+ soon since I only ended up as lvl 7.
Drowning Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Mehbah

Scrap musket and army carbine. I use the tighter spread and double firing upgrades for the musket and the faster aiming and explosion upgrades for the carbine. The musket is good for small hordes and also pushes stronger things away. The carbine does high damage and is very accurate, and can also serve as a backup "shotgun" thanks to the AoE explosion.

With all the idols active you really need to be able to get things out of your face, since they're so fast and durable. I like the machete with crit upgrades, but it just isn't viable with idols that make every other hit turn the enemy invincible and then pretend to be playing CoD when it does. The machete's short range means the grenade can jump into your face before you can even move.
Mehbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
Fusionmix

Musket and Bow until you get the Pike, then it was Pike and Bow all the way. I got real good with timing the critical hits, and providing I didn't have the health-regen god activated, the Kid was pretty much unstoppable >
Fusionmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Joe10112

Pike n Mortar boys.

That's how I got through all the WkW 10 idols turned on. 24/24 achievements, that's how its done.

Seriously, upgrade Pike to have all damage/crits, and attack through shields, and have knockback.

Mortar upgrades I had were all damage, and then no damage to self.

Basically it's a Run-Around-Shooting-Mortar-Stabby-Things idea.

But yeah, Pike+Mortar is the way to go.
Joe10112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
GeeWhizz

Yeah pike and mortar is the only way for the idols stuff.
Fast multi hit weapons just end up proccing all the bad idol effects over and over.
For fun I like to use the bow and musket though.
GeeWhizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #9
Caleno

Without idols I liked machete + bellows most, specced for damage over time
Caleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
NBlastMax

Machete/Pike + BFG*

*Calamity Cannon
NBlastMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #11
Alex Vladkov

Banned
Here my.
Alex Vladkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
HoLyCoW

Mine is the Army Carbine + Fire Bellows
HoLyCoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
Custom333

Hammer + Bow the whole way. Sending a critical bow with time damage through a wave of enemies never gets old.
Custom333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
setzway

^I was the same way, Bow and Hammer. Then I got the Spear and Mortar and really liked that. However, once I started playing with all idols I decided to try the Calamity Cannon and Musket(shotgun).

I liked the Cannon for high damage sniping, then once I got the quickcharge upgrade it makes it pretty good for midrange-close. The Musket upgraded to have a smaller spread is great for hitting enemies that get right in front of you or blasting a specific target. I don't know, it's a little haphazard setup and the Mortar is better for splash damage. I find that you end up basically dodge all the time and try to gain distance enough to get one attack off and then repeat. I figured might as well go broke and get high damage weapons that I could fire a round, roll away, fire again and repeat.
setzway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
Brogmeisterflex

The Musket was love at first sight for me. It is highly effective with all uppgrades for all small to midsized enemies. It can also shoot through objects in the environment, such as pillars etc. I'm less sure about the secondary weapon but I think the target seeking Calamity Cannon is the high damage weapon that leaves me the least exposed, also the secret skill for the Cannon is the best I have found. I am struggling with the Books with all shrines though, so maybe there is something better out there.
Brogmeisterflex is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bastion