Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2

Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
Lucas4140

Total war Shogun 2 or Total War: Shogun 2 Fall Of The Samurai

I'm struggeling about those two witch one is the best? I'm totally new too those games.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Killthas

If you like gunpowder units and lost of explosions then Fall of the Samurai is for you. But FotS requires alot of computer power for the particle effects and the amount of detail on the units.

While Shogun 2 its more sword on sword and more viscous battles. (Plus with the blood dlc makes it more brutal in both games)

But if your new to this genre of games or new to Total War go for Shogun 2. Plays more like the older RTW games (Medieval 2 and Down. Hell if you can manage it get the original Medieval Total War or Shogun.)
Killthas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Lucas4140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killthas View Post
If you like gunpowder units and lost of explosions then Fall of the Samurai is for you. But FotS requires alot of computer power for the particle effects and the amount of detail on the units.

While Shogun 2 its more sword on sword and more viscous battles. (Plus with the blood dlc makes it more brutal in both games)

But if your new to this genre of games or new to Total War go for Shogun 2. Plays more like the older RTW games (Medieval 2 and Down. Hell if you can manage it get the original Medieval Total War or Shogun.)
mmh, anyway my PC specs are on my steamprofile
Lucas4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
Shigure

I'd go as far as to say it entirely depends on what kind of battlefield you prefer.

Personally, I enjoyed shogun 2 more, but that's because I enjoyed having a good melee, the sight of infantery charging into each other, the sky blackening with arrows, warrior monks - and gunpowder weapons to be optional and far from broken.

In FotS, you can win the game with 2 cannons and a little flank protection. The only valid way to not play a modernized army is go cavalry and charge the flanks and rear, all the time, while avoiding the cannons.

Again, this is all my personal opinion and subjective. I heard people have lots of fun with FotS. There's also a lot added. But for me, I'd still chose shogun 2. There aren't cannons that dominate land battles and torpedos that do the same to sea battles. I miss the good old clash of steel, the warcries as the front lines charge into each other, to watch heroic samurai falling in honorable combat~.

But it's still a matter of personal preference. FotS isn't half bad. I mostly just failed to see the point of playing in ancient japan if you are just there using european tactics, weapons and soldiers to kill as many samurai as possible. Maybe it's more aimed towards people who are tired of all that "katana is best weapon ever" and "japan is superior trololol" bullpoop. But I have to admit there's still a lot of cool stuff in there.

If you hadn't guessed by now, my vote goes to shogun 2. Just my 2 cents.
Shigure is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2