Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress Classic

Old 05-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
redbema

Lag Spikes

I just downloaded this today. I used to play it all of the time many years ago, back in its hayday. (For some reason I woke up today thinking about it and discovered that I could get it for a few bucks, so I did.)

Anyways, I find that I have lag spikes in every server. I have great ping, and a great gaming computer, but I lag spike every 7-10 seconds and it makes the game unenjoyable.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this would be happening?

Thanks in advance!

RB
Old 05-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Gogeta

Some newer computers/parts actually have trouble running TFC without some tweaks. Could you be any more descriptive?
Gogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
Sink78

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbema View Post
I just downloaded this today. I used to play it all of the time many years ago, back in its hayday. (For some reason I woke up today thinking about it and discovered that I could get it for a few bucks, so I did.)

Anyways, I find that I have lag spikes in every server. I have great ping, and a great gaming computer, but I lag spike every 7-10 seconds and it makes the game unenjoyable.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this would be happening?

Thanks in advance!

RB
I had the same problem, so I changed to D3D in the video options and that fixed it for me.
Sink78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
redbema

Thanks for the replies. I tried changing the video options and I am still having the same problems. I have played the game on both my desktop and my laptop, and I experience the same exact problem on both computers. It runs it very smoothly other than that.

I am not sure what other specifics you need. I will be glad to give them if you ask me what you might need to help. Basically, I have attempted playing the game with various types of video options but they all have lag spikes.

Basically, what I mean by "lag spike" is that everything is running smoothly, and then it is as if the game pauses for a moment to catch up with itself. My ping is 17, and I have played tons of MMO's without any lag at all, so I know my internet and computer is good.

Any other ideas as to what this might be? It really makes it unenjoyable.

Thanks for any tips!

RB
redbema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
evil_master

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I tried changing the video options and I am still having the same problems. I have played the game on both my desktop and my laptop, and I experience the same exact problem on both computers. It runs it very smoothly other than that.

I am not sure what other specifics you need. I will be glad to give them if you ask me what you might need to help. Basically, I have attempted playing the game with various types of video options but they all have lag spikes.

Basically, what I mean by "lag spike" is that everything is running smoothly, and then it is as if the game pauses for a moment to catch up with itself. My ping is 17, and I have played tons of MMO's without any lag at all, so I know my internet and computer is good.

Any other ideas as to what this might be? It really makes it unenjoyable.

Thanks for any tips!

RB
What server(s) does this happen on? what map(s)? do you have custom sprites? models? sounds?
evil_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
redbema

It happens on every server, and on every map, and I have no customs.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
urban360

Sounds like a short program not responding issue. When you say pause, you talking about a full pause or just a slow down?

If you are using windows vista, that would most likely be why. Vista has a real rotten reputation for program compatibility especially for older games. Almost everyone I have met on steam who had this problem with TFC was using vista.

What is your FPS is game? What is your CPU usage while in game?

Do you often run a bunch of other programs while playing this game?
urban360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
evil_master

update your video drivers, and run TFC in d3d/opengl, this is all I can recommend, because reasons.
evil_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
urban360

Direct3D for performance at the cost of video quality.

Use OpenGL if you want best video quality.

Also post your FPS and CPU usage at the moment of lag. Hard to help someone who leaves out key details as such. If your FPS is high and your CPU is consumed like crazy, enable V-SYNC to lock your FPS at your monitors refresh rate. A week ago I've disabled V-SYNC out of curiosity in my video control panel and got 100 FPS and 300 FPS with developer mode enabled and it ran like crap. Even at 60 FPS it ran choppy consuming almost all my CPU until I re-enabled V-SYNC. Make sure you have V-SYNC on.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
Sinnah

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban360 View Post
A week ago I've disabled V-SYNC out of curiosity in my video control panel and got 100 FPS and 300 FPS with developer mode enabled and it ran like crap. Even at 60 FPS it ran choppy consuming almost all my CPU until I re-enabled V-SYNC. Make sure you have V-SYNC on.
VSync in TFC? Ew... Not recommended.

Alternatively, just use the fps_max variable to limit your framerate to your monitor's refresh rate. You'll still get some limited graphical tearing but it will play silky smooth and you won't have to deal with the input lag that VSync causes.

I'd like the OP to clarify if he's talking about graphical slowdown or actual connection issues when he says "lag spikes." Two totally different things and it's difficult to tell what he means.

Is your framerate dropping, or is your ping spiking?
Sinnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
urban360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnah View Post
VSync in TFC? Ew... Not recommended.

Alternatively, just use the fps_max variable to limit your framerate to your monitor's refresh rate. You'll still get some limited graphical tearing but it will play silky smooth and you won't have to deal with the input lag that VSync causes.

I'd like the OP to clarify if he's talking about graphical slowdown or actual connection issues when he says "lag spikes." Two totally different things and it's difficult to tell what he means.

Is your framerate dropping, or is your ping spiking?
His ping is fine as he said in his 1st post. Its obviously hardware or OS related. Vista is known to run TFC like total crap. Rather hes using vista or not is unknown. Like you said, he speaks very general about his problem making it unclear how to help him.

About Vsync, I get best performance out of Vsync in TFC. I know about fps_max but for me, it was still choppy when setting fps_max to my monitor's refresh rate of 65. GoldSrc games lag compared to modern game with Vsync disabled. I don't know why. He should still try Vsync if its not enabled.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
Sinnah

He did say his ping is fine but also describes his issue as being a "lag spike," where the game momentarily locks up and then "catches up with itself," which sounds to me more like a connectivity issue. Since a drop in framerate and "lag" are two entirely different issues, I was hoping he could clarify.

If it is in fact a frame drop, I do recall a recent issue with some folks on newer hardware and operating systems where weapons that generate dynamic lights (eg rockets) would cause massive slowdowns and pauses in game. I'm wondering if that might be the case here.

Like you say, it's tough to say with the scant bit of info we have to work on here.
Sinnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
redbema

Hey everyone. First, thanks for the responses. I am overwhelmed by how many of you are interested in helping. I wasn't expecting this.

Second, to clear up one issue, I am running the game on Windows 7, not Vista.

Third, I apologize for leaving other important details out. I certainly did not do this on purpose. I just have never had issues like this so I was unaware of what to look at when the problem occurred. I will try to monitor it and then disclose the details once I find them out.

On another note, it might be some kind of connectivity issue because I played the game on my laptop on another internet connection (work) and it ran fine, so I am thinking that it has something to do with my home internet, which is confusing because it is a higher speed than work. My ping at home is consistently about 20 points lower than the one at work, but the one at home freezes every 7 to 10 seconds.

I'll try to post details when I find them out. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #14
redbema

Alright, I just noticed that my ping jumps from 15 to 650 during the "lag spikes." So it has to do with my connectivity.

Is this something on my isp or on me?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
urban360

Quote:
Alright, I just noticed that my ping jumps from 15 to 650 during the "lag spikes." So it has to do with my connectivity.

Is this something on my isp or on me?
Does other people use the internet at home?

Every person connect to the internet at home takes up bandwidth.

Are you playing on wireless at home?

Wireless connections aren't as reliable as a hard line connection. Distance and/or radio interference can be a cause. Sometimes it can be the router you use. Routers can randomly drop connection to connected computers or crash/restart its self for no apparent reason(they can be unstable in any way shape or form). An other cause can be the wireless card in the PC its self. I had the same random ping spike problems before until I bought a different wireless adapter and the problem completely vanished.

It could also be your ISP. if you have cable internet, it has 1 thing in common with routers. There is no dedicated bandwidth. Unless you buy a business class package, you don't get a direct line to the ISP's internet servers. To put it more simple, cable internet is just like a home network just on a massive scale where all the bandwidth is shared/open for the taking with the entire neighborhood unreserved to anyone. So if you get one of those days where half the town stays home stoking up facebook, playing games and/or doing a ton of downloading, the cable connection is gonna have some choke.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress Classic