Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
SquareEnix4Ever

ATI AMD HD Radeon HD 6870

Hey my dear fellow steam users

I have a question. Now i just bought a HD Radeon 6870 from ATI, and now i just wonder, i have a pre build PC from Acer, Acer Aspire M5300, now my main concern is, the PSU (Power Supply Unit) As im unable to find any information about it, i thought i might aask some fellow gamers, I plan on buying All of the games in the Total war series and running them on Ultra settings with 1920x1080 solution.

My Specs now

Acer Aspire M5300 (Nothing touched)

AMD Phenom x4 810 2,6 Ghz (Not overclocked)
Nvidia Geforce GT 330
A power supply unit with 450 watt max peak 500 watt it's not an 80+ just an 80 Bronze (Don't know the manufactor)
And a Acer FRX780M Mainboard.

Now some people i asked said you need a minimum 600 watt powersupply, some says i need a 550 and some says i will do just fine with the PSU i have now, im not planing on overclocking it or enabling crossfire in it, oh and by the way some pro gamers probably think im gonna install two, im not.

I game around 2-5 Hours non stop a day, then i take a break and going back im playing around 2-3 hours,

Now my Nvidia Geforce GT 330 is a piece of junk but it's able to run on very high settings (AA) disabled and Antistropic filters on Trillinar togehter with all of the other special settings off, it runs okay, laggy but okay.

So a a long question short.

Do i need to upgrade my PSU or not? (Only one ATI HD Radeon 6870) and no overclocking neither (processor or GPU) or should i wait with installing it and save up some money for a quality brand PSU? or can i install it with no problems and then later (One month or two) Buy a new PSU and installing it without melting my PC before i can get my hand on a new PSU?

A good day to you all

Last edited by SquareEnix4Ever: 05-06-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
Doc_Gonzo

From what little info i can find, I'd guess that you would be cutting it close. I think this is your Power Supply and it looks to have 360W max on the 12V rails. The total power output for a system with a 6870 is 247W

The 6870 requires 2 x 6 pin power connectors too and I'm not sure your Power Supply has those? It should work but I'd be prepared to upgrade that PSU ASAP.

Sunday is quiet on here and I'd wait for some of the more experienced guys to come and comment before you decide whether to try it or wait
Doc_Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #3
SquareEnix4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Gonzo View Post
From what little info i can find, I'd guess that you would be cutting it close. I think this is your Power Supply and it looks to have 360W max on the 12V rails. The total power output for a system with a 6870 is 247W

The 6870 requires 2 x 6 pin power connectors too and I'm not sure your Power Supply has those? It should work but I'd be prepared to upgrade that PSU ASAP.

Sunday is quiet on here and I'd wait for some of the more experienced guys to come and comment before you decide whether to try it or wait
Well tahnks i see that, it's that PSU im suure i need to upgrade one? so can anyone suggest me one? i use it for medium gaming not heavy nor light but medium, so i would like to take the price over quality, i just need a cheap one

Well now i live in Denmark so price is probably different from what i can tell i sometimes buy from America or from the Uk, but thats rare because the service isn't the greatest on the earth nor is the package the hardware actually comes in. Well thanks for the i start looking after something now

I have 1 6 pin but not two, from what i have read, it would also work with a SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 6870, 1024MB DDR5, DP, DVI, HDMI - LITE

But my main concern was the power Supply

Now i have been looking at this, if someone could tell me if this is a decent one
http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/3...ro-modular-kab

or this one

http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/3...ro-modular-kab

Last edited by SquareEnix4Ever: 05-06-2012 at 02:52 AM.
SquareEnix4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
Doc_Gonzo

OCZ don't make great Power Supplies and If I were you, I'd go a little extra on something like the Corsair TX550M
The Power Supply is one thing you never want to cheap out on as if it goes, it can possibly take out some of your other components along with it

If you can't afford the extra, go with the 600w OCZ.
Doc_Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
SquareEnix4Ever

Okay that sure ain't bad, nor is the price for DKK value that's actually cheap it's a 107 bucks ain't that expensive

Thanks for the advice im happy i got it up before i did something stupid
SquareEnix4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
imeem

also note that if u buy a new psu for your oem case, it may be a tight fit. I had a Acer M5802 and my TX 650m psu was a very tight fit in it due to the big cables. But i ended up buying a new case and move my computer parts in there.
imeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
joemtnbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Gonzo View Post

...)
I don't consider 50% overhead as cutting it close.
OP, The power supply linked in this post should be fine.
The HD6870 will draw a max of 12.6A
The CPU just under 8A.
Total capacity of the PSU pictured is 30A on the combined 12V rails.
joemtnbike is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems