Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde

Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Lightfooted

Constructive Feedback (Open Discussion)

Dear Team Spiral,
I personally would like to thank you for bringing this refreshing new take on video gaming as we see more and more from evolving indi game companies.Your game “Orion: Dino Beatdown” has a sort of Killing Floor/Section 8 feel to it, which is certainly a new development.

Clearly this game instalment is incomplete and needs some major adjustment but, I thought that I would express my opinions and allows others to group their opinions in a much more progress driven way. So you can take advantage of the great potential of your game.

Graphics:
In my humble opinion the graphics are not the biggest factor of this game. I will draw the line at a certain level of graphic quality for games these days but, if the gameplay can balance out the "squeaky clean" finish that a game may lack, then I don't see a problem; besides what do you expect from a up and coming indi game developer? I think they have done an excellent job with the environments.

Of course this is up for free discussion, feel free.

Dinosaur Diversity/AI/Behavior:
Honestly the AI of a dinosaur does not have to be fantastic. It's a wild animal, it runs at you, it tries to kill you, there's not that much too it. Perhaps the species known to be pack animals like the Velociraptor should have more advanced pack-hunting AI. Nothing too fancy, maybe pincer strikes and ambushing.

Also considering how territorial a T-Rex is, there should only be one or two at once. Your dinosaur generator seems to be a little unbalanced. In my third wave of a combat on "solo-play" I had to face 8 T-Rex when I had barely made enough credits to buy a burst-fire machine gun.

I think I should note that the Terrordactyl is incredibly annoying. Trying to pick off Velociraptor from atop a research facility is hard enough when they maneuver like headless chickens without being picked up by a Terrordactyl every 10 seconds. I understand the Terrordactyl is supposed to stop a player or players from camping the WHOLE game but, honestly we need more of a heads up before we get lifted off the ground; and I'm not too sure being lifted off the ground should be used at all, it's just plain annoying. Perhaps the Terrordactyl should come in at more of a horizontal tangent and swoop at your player(s) rather than drop in like a Cliff Racer from Morrowind; but note that the cliff racer could be heard 10km away in Morrowind. No more than 2-3 Terrordactyls at once, at least no in the early waves. Remove it's a ability to hover and have it swoop attack, remove it's grab attack or at least make it less frequent and perhaps only broken by a teammates bullet or having to bash your way out of it's grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcterZero View Post
Is it just me or does it feel like the amount of ammo you have to pump into the Pteros seem like it should vaporize them? They are insanely bullet spongey. I think there should be more of them, but easier to kill with maybe a limit to how many can be on a map at once based on number of players. Something like 3 per player, but easier to kill would seem fair.
Perhaps 2 or 3 other dinosaur types should be introduced into the enemy ranks. Just fighting Terrordactyl, T-Rex and Raptors will get old fast. The combat of a game has to flow. Whether it is quickly or steadily it doesn't matter, as long as it flows.
There needs to be diverse ways of defeating a different enemy class than "just shoot it".

Raptors need to be nimble and dodge poorly placed or clumsy shots but, not run at 80km and change direction of momentum at a 90* angle in a blink of an eye.

T-Rex is slow but, a tank. It is necessary for a team to band together to take one down. Heavy damage, players used as decoys, traps laid, exploiting it's blind spots. Perhaps remove the whole inst-kill rock throw move. I've never heard of a T-Rex to primarily rely upon throwing rocks when it's pray was out of reach. Throwing vehicles nearby sure, but don't over do it's range or damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakaash R View Post
Originally, the Rex couldn't throw rocks. But campers with no skill (AKA me) necessitated a long-range weapon.
I can understand the need for this, perhaps Raptors could be developed to have superior climbing ability or a Dilophosaurus with the ability to spit toxic fluid can be introduced also.

Everybody wants to see a Triceratops, with a charge attack; Come on! Triceratops are medium armored but, weaker in the neck and sides of its underbelly.

Perhaps a couple others just to flesh out the combat but, try to stick to the theoretic behaviour that real experts have thought the species to have. No body wants to beat the out of a stegosaurus like they have only dreamed of doing, if it climbs trees and shoots acid.

These topic is open for discussion! ^_^

Weapon/Upgrades/Base Mechanics:

Everyone feel free to add to my thread and I will add in your opinions and genius to the post and we can build a nice thick file for Spiral to take into account. There is much to discuss! =)

Last edited by Lightfooted: 05-06-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
ArcterZero

Is it just me or does it feel like the amount of ammo you have to pump into the Pteros seem like it should vaporize them? They are insanely bullet spongey.

EDIT: To clarify, I think there should be more of them, but easier to kill with maybe a limit to how many can be on a map at once based on number of players. Something like 3 per player, but easier to kill would seem fair.

Last edited by ArcterZero: 05-06-2012 at 06:29 AM.
ArcterZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Lightfooted

The Pteros?
Lightfooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Lightfooted

Oh the flying ones? Yeah I deffinantly agree I shot one of those mongrels with a shotgun at close range and used two whole clips before it died.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
EnthalpyFlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcterZero View Post
Is it just me or does it feel like the amount of ammo you have to pump into the Pteros seem like it should vaporize them? They are insanely bullet spongey.
Maybe a little too much, but maybe otherwise it will be too easy? IMO, it's ok
EnthalpyFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Lightfooted

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnthalpyFlow View Post
Maybe a little too much, but maybe otherwise it will be too easy? IMO, it's ok
Your both right, the amount of damage has to be more balanced for the size and difficulty of the animal.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Aakaash R

Hi Lightfooted, thanks so much for your in-depth post. It's people like you who really make a community awesome.

We're not completely satisfied with the AI at the moment; we plan to address this in later builds.

You're completely right about the amount of dinos; there's actually a bug in this build where 2-3 times more dinos (especially rexes) get spawned than we intended. This will be fixed in tomorrow's patch.

We completely agree that more dinos are necessary- which is why we are releasing two free DLC packs with three new dinosaurs each in the next few months. The Herbivore pack will contain the Triceratops, the Argentinosaurus, and the Stegosaurus while the Carnivore pack will add the Spinosaurus, the Dilaphosaurus, and the Compy. If you'd like to suggest another dino, feel free to post here.

Originally, the Rex couldn't throw rocks. But campers with no skill (AKA me) necessitated a long-range weapon.

You can restore your health and ammo instantly through the yellow stations, which are located in the barracks, the armory, and in several stations between bases- think of them as lockers from TF2. However, the stations located at bases will not work if the generator has been destroyed or has lost power. If the generator has been destroyed, you'll need to restore it (either by going close and holding E until it's restored, using the medic gun on it, or EMPing it) before you can use the yellow stations. If it's lost power, you'll have to make your way to the next base or find an outpost. If you have trouble locating these stations, use HUD awareness (F).
Aakaash R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
Lightfooted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakaash R View Post
Hi Lightfooted, thanks so much for your in-depth post. It's people like you who really make a community awesome.

We're not completely satisfied with the AI at the moment; we plan to address this in later builds.

You're completely right about the amount of dinos; there's actually a bug in this build where 2-3 times more dinos (especially rexes) get spawned than we intended. This will be fixed in tomorrow's patch.

We completely agree that more dinos are necessary- which is why we are releasing two free DLC packs with three new dinosaurs each in the next few months. The Herbivore pack will contain the Triceratops, the Argentinosaurus, and the Stegosaurus while the Carnivore pack will add the Spinosaurus, the Dilaphosaurus, and the Compy. If you'd like to suggest another dino, feel free to post here.

You can restore your health and ammo instantly through the yellow stations, which are located in the barracks, the armory, and in several stations between bases- think of them as lockers from TF2. However, the stations located at bases will not work if the generator has been destroyed or has lost power. If the generator has been destroyed, you'll need to restore it (either by going close and holding E until it's restored, using the medic gun on it, or EMPing it) before you can use the yellow stations. If it's lost power, you'll have to make your way to the next base or find an outpost. If you have trouble locating these stations, use HUD awareness (F).
That is excellent news! ^_^
I'm sure everyone is looking forward to seeing how your product will bloom. I'll keep putting this together as people keep posting and updating as you fix things, so you have another place to access customer feedback.
Have a great week!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
EnthalpyFlow

I think that now there are more people supporting this game, and giving what the title of this thread says, than people screaming and trolling on forums... It really makes me appreciate the community here
EnthalpyFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
xX_Renegade_Xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfooted View Post
Weapon/Upgrades/Base Mechanics:
I don't think I'm the only one that has felt a little disappointed when they ran out of ammo and found that they couldn't afford a new gun and could not buy ammo or health.
You don't need to buy ammo or health, just walk into a pod and it automatically adds ammo and health for you, look for the yellow pods near the upgrade pods which are green.
xX_Renegade_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
Tigerhawk71

Here's how you enjoy the game pre-patch:

Set starting credits to 5K
Start at Alpha on Eden
Someone needs to be a Recon (EMP nades + generator)
First wave, buy the basic AR or the Shotgun (depending on class and playstyle) Don't buy anything else. Just buy ONE of these. Don't buy the LMG, it's crap.
Soon as you can, buy the DOUBLE DAMAGE upgrade.
Don't die.

By the time we were done at Alpha (four of us) i had saved enough money to buy a VTOL. Once you have a VTOL, all your problems are solved.

And for the record, it takes about 7 shotgun shells to drop a bird, or 6 + some sidearm with a double damage. Yes it seems like a lot, i agree. But in the meantime, gotta make do.

Solo is not very well balanced. So don't play solo unless you're a very patient person.

Don't think that you have to stay at the base. If the generator is down and you can't get it back up, leave. Find an outpost. Rearm, go back. It's actually faster than having people disconnect because you WON'T LEAVE THE ING BUILDING AND KEEP PICKING AWAY AT THE REX WITH YOUR DAMN PISTOL.
Tigerhawk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Lightfooted

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX_Renegade_Xx View Post
You don't need to buy ammo or health, just walk into a pod and it automatically adds ammo and health for you, look for the yellow pods near the upgrade pods which are green.
Well I feel silly lawl
Old 05-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
xX_Renegade_Xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfooted View Post
Well I feel silly lawl
Don't, it's a new game, we're all still learning

You do need power to the generator to resupply. If you have a look at one of the stickies the dev's posted it has a link to a manual there that gives you some of the basics.
xX_Renegade_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Tigerhawk71

Also, Protip: Once you finish the wave where you have to move to another base, the current base will PERMANENTLY lose power. Make sure you either repair and reload or know where to find a powered outpost to resupply..
Tigerhawk71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > ORION: Dino Horde